Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #1

Catch in focus - K-5 with Asahi 50mm f1.4 manual lens???

Hi guys,

Has anybody tried this before ? I have been trying for a while now to understand how catch in focus feature of K-5 works but have no luck so far.

I read somewhere that it only works with certain manual lens. Is that true?

What mechanism a manual lens has to have to be able to work with catch in focus feature of k-5 ?

Is there a list out there of lenses that works ?

I think it is extremely cool feature for bird photography but it just doesn't work for me.

Vicky

04-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by vmahodaya Quote
Hi guys,

Has anybody tried this before ? I have been trying for a while now to understand how catch in focus feature of K-5 works but have no luck so far.

What mechanism a manual lens has to have to be able to work with catch in focus feature of k-5 ?

Is there a list out there of lenses that works ?

I think it is extremely cool feature for bird photography but it just doesn't work for me.

Vicky
I don't think that feature works with manual lenses. It will give you focus confirmation, but it won't fire the shutter.
04-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera set to AF? It will not work in MF.

Here is a thread that may help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/210526-catch-focus-cant-get-work.html
04-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It works with all manual lenses.

Nothing special on the lens is needed.

Search the forums - there are quite a few threads that explains what needs to be done.

Essentially, you need to short out the contacts on the body - the most basic way it to use foil. Take a piece of aluminum foil, use your thumb to hold it in place (over the contacts on the body) and screw down the lens until mounted. In your settings menu, make sure you have CIF enabled, set your AF system to AF.S and make sure you have the AF system on (not MF) and you are set.

04-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use catch-in focus with all my manual lens. Be sure you have it set to on in the custom menu. Some lens that have black paint on the mount will not work unless you sand the paint down to bright metal or place a piece of tinfoil between the mount and the camera contacts. Also the camera needs to be set to AF-S for it to work.
04-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

And make sure that you calibrate the lens and the body also. Some of my manual lenses before needed some AF +/- calibration (: Good luck!
04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

Oops! Guess I was wrong! I can't get it to work for my manual focus lens :-/

04-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, I did all the checks.

menu says catch in focus is set to 2
checked AF.S
shorted all the contact points with aluminium foil.

Still no luck,

Anymore ideas, anyone ?
04-19-2013, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Have you tried turning the focus ring to achieve focus while still pushing down the shutter button? Without locked focus the camera will not take picture.
04-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #10

OOOH I got it to work on mine! I had half-button press disabled because I like to BBF. I don't think it works unless you use the shutter half press to focus. Just in case this is anyone else's problem!
04-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just point at your subject, and turn the focus ring while holding the shutter button completely down. It will fire when subject is in focus. I use it all the time with macro shots by moving the camera forward or back while trying to hold my focus where I want it. Sometimes I miss, sometimes get great shots that way.
04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brandyjaggers Quote
I had half-button press disabled because I like to BBF.
It'll still work. If you have auto focus assigned to the AF button, hold down the AF button and the shutter button while focussing.
04-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
It'll still work. If you have auto focus assigned to the AF button, hold down the AF button and the shutter button while focussing.
Guess I just wasn't doing it right...thanks
03-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #14

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to point out that if your buttons are set up for back button focus and you want to use CIF, as johnyates says above, you need to press and hold AF before you depress the shutter release. Then CIF should work as advertised, that was how I finally got it working on my K-5iis after a long confusing session trying to make it happen.
04-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #15

great info