Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Final advice before the purchase day

Good Afternoon

I am currently just waiting for this months payday before pulling the trigger on a new purchase.

Currently the shopping list is: k5-II with 18-135mm, Pentax 55-300mm, Pentax 35mm with a cost of £1488

However an alternative that I am currently weighing up: k5-II, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM, Pentax 35mm with a cost of £1258 (saving of £230)

I have spent literally hours and read many reviews which seem to be either "love it" or "hate it" and from the images that I have seen both here and on other Pentax forums of the Pentax lenses say the image quality is excellent. I have probably got myself to the point of 'do I' or 'don't I' between the two. I am happy and can afford the more expensive option if that is the better option.

I am hoping that some of you very knowledgeable ladies and gents have these combinations or experience of and can help with some real world advice.

I am a amateur who enjoys photography and have just joined a local camera club and to be fair was looked at strangely when I mentioned buying Pentax. My area of interest is landscape (mountains & countryside) and also shipping both in harbours and at sea. Yes it will probably get to the point where I enter a few competitions if and when I can.

I would think certainly on the shipping that I will be zooming a lot and then cropping images when and where required.

Consideration has been given to the K5-IIs and whilst I think the the chances of moire in the types of photography are slim I am not sure it is worth the extra £150. Likewise I have considered the Nikon 7000 but discounted it as I love the Pentax theme of in-camera shake reduction so that it applies to the Prime lens also. Also with shipping the chances of low light are very high.

So any help, thoughts, advice are gratefully received.

Paul

04-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would for sure buy the first alternative as you get much better image quality, a weather resistant lens and a longer reach.
04-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I would for sure buy the first alternative as you get much better image quality, a weather resistant lens and a longer reach.
Option #1 the 18-135 is a great wr lens and 55-300 is amazing for the price.
04-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with option one. I have the K-5 and both lenses. They work very well with the K-5. 18-135 you get weather sealing and I feel really good image quality for a zoom lens. Plus, the AF is pretty fast and almost silent.

04-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I too would go for #1. In fact, should I start over I would probably go with a K5-II(s), 18-135, 55-300, a 35-ish prime and DA 15 Ltd.
04-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Do you have a real need to get all lenses at once?
If not, a more sensible and cost-effective option would be to start with just the 18-135 (seems to be great) and then decide later whether or not to buy other lenses, should you find you often need more reach or more width or more speed or more... 135mm on APS-C (to me) is already quite a long lens.
Have fun and enjoy your purchase!
04-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Do you have a real need to get all lenses at once?
If not, a more sensible and cost-effective option would be to start with just the 18-135 (seems to be great) and then decide later whether or not to buy other lenses, should you find you often need more reach or more width or more speed or more... 135mm on APS-C (to me) is already quite a long lens.
Have fun and enjoy your purchase!
135mm for is on the wide end instead.

04-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Inactive Account

The 55-300 is the clincher, an amazing value for money lens and you will probably always have a use for the 18-135 due to is range and WR.
04-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mountainwalker Quote
Good Afternoon

I am currently just waiting for this months payday before pulling the trigger on a new purchase.

Currently the shopping list is: k5-II with 18-135mm, Pentax 55-300mm, Pentax 35mm with a cost of £1488

However an alternative that I am currently weighing up: k5-II, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM, Pentax 35mm with a cost of £1258 (saving of £230)

I have spent literally hours and read many reviews which seem to be either "love it" or "hate it" and from the images that I have seen both here and on other Pentax forums of the Pentax lenses say the image quality is excellent. I have probably got myself to the point of 'do I' or 'don't I' between the two. I am happy and can afford the more expensive option if that is the better option.

I am hoping that some of you very knowledgeable ladies and gents have these combinations or experience of and can help with some real world advice.

I am a amateur who enjoys photography and have just joined a local camera club and to be fair was looked at strangely when I mentioned buying Pentax. My area of interest is landscape (mountains & countryside) and also shipping both in harbours and at sea. Yes it will probably get to the point where I enter a few competitions if and when I can.

I would think certainly on the shipping that I will be zooming a lot and then cropping images when and where required.

Consideration has been given to the K5-IIs and whilst I think the the chances of moire in the types of photography are slim I am not sure it is worth the extra £150. Likewise I have considered the Nikon 7000 but discounted it as I love the Pentax theme of in-camera shake reduction so that it applies to the Prime lens also. Also with shipping the chances of low light are very high.

So any help, thoughts, advice are gratefully received.

Paul
I have the #1 alternative and it is quite a solid performing kit (well, I have a K-5 not a II but close). The IQ from those lenses is going to be better than from the 18-250 plus, as others have noted, you will have longer reach (the 55-300 is a real gem) and WR for a very solid range in the 18-135. Good luck with your choice.
04-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #10

Get the 55-300 for the reach...plus 35mmm.

Then decide later if you need f2.8 zoom or Ltd primes for your landscape.

All the best!
04-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks again for all the advice.

Having looked through all the pictures I have taken over the past five years with various bridge cameras etc I can see the need for the 300mm lens as there were a good number of images over 200mm that were more than useable.

Having looked at the various online shops I have settled with SRS Microsystems as they are offering what I think is a steal on the K5-IIs.

K5-II with the 18-135mm kit is £1039

K5-IIs with the 18-135mm (lens split from the above kit so unboxed) is £1199

Everywhere else is wanting over several hundred more for the K5-IIs with that lens.

Roll on Thursday.
04-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You won't regret the purchase.
I also have the 18-135 and 55-300 and both are excellent for the money.
For your landscapes, consider the Sigma 10-20 (either version).
You then have an unbroken range of 10 to 300mm.
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy your new toys when you get them, plus 1 on the 55-300, a great budget zoom.
I would seriously consider getting the D-BG4 grip and a spare battery also.

Cheers.
04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have K-5 with these lenses. If I were buying new today (like I did two years ago) I'd get the K5IIs, as I do lots of macro work and I think the filterless sensor would be outstanding for insects and other macro shots.

I didn't use the K-10's kit 18-55, I replaced that with the 16-45 but I think the 18-135 brings so much more to the kit with weatherproofing and tougher build.

I haven't really felt the need for the battery grip, I like the size of the K5. I do have a spare battery, though I find the battery life is outstanding already.
04-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
Well thats the purchase done, thanks again for your help and advice.
Just spoke to a very helpful gentlemen at SRS and a K5-IIs with the 135 lens is on its way along with a kenko filter.
Had another bill this month so the other 55-300 will need to wait till next month.