Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
K-5 -> k-5 ii -> k-5

So I bought the K-5 II in december to replace one K-5 (black). That was for winterdarkness around soccerfields and it did do that job. My K-5 Silver Limited Edition had a shutter failure shortly after that the K-5 II came, so the K-5 II took first place for a short while. I banged my Silver K-5 and the shutter came loose and works. There is a little difference in the timing with it now compared to the K-5 II, but I learned to live with that (EV compensation). I was back with the K-5!

I had then major issues with my K-5 some weeks ago handling the DA*300mm. It wasn't focussing proparly, so I switched to the K-5 II. I thought that the K-5 was dead. Just rescently at the soccer game between The Netherlands and USA I had the exact same issues now with my K-5 II and the DA*300mm. So I thought that it was the lens dead in my hands. I could get it to work, turning the camera off and twisting the AF-ring and putting it back on. But only for a short while, before the problem came back. In the rest off the game I switched card and battery (wich I normaly never do, but I did make to many images) and all problems where gone.

At home I went looking for the problem. I have 4 camera's and 5 battery's. One off them had one dead cell and not powering enough. Problem solved!

So I'm back again with using the K-5 Silver Limited Edition as my #1 camera and putting the K-5 II back as reserve. I do have more fun in using the Silver camera! Also my working methode (K-5 with DA*300mm on monopod with SR set on) works better with the K-5. On the K-5 II I do use the Sigma 70-200mm with the SR set to off and that works fine for me.

From last sunday and yesterdays paper, both made with K-5 Silver Limited Edition and DA*300mm.

04-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff, nice shots and interesting revelation about the battery. I wonder how many people have encountered this and failed to realise the battery was to blame, good work tracking it down
04-23-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
One off them had one dead cell and not powering enough. Problem solved!
Interesting problem solving experience, and great photos.

How many cells are there in a K-5 battery? And how does one test individual cells?
04-23-2013, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
how does one test individual cells?
Got a nasty feeling that a mallet could be involved.

04-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent shots, as usual. Good point about the battery. I had one go wonky on me Saturday at my daughter's dance. I pulled it, put in a different D-LI90 and everything was fine. The battery that went bad - my oldest Pentax battery that originally came with my K-5.

How did you test yours?
04-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm glad you managed to solve the problem but I find it hard to believe that the K-5II, with it's superior focus engine, would be relegated to back-up Ron.
04-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm glad you managed to solve the problem but I find it hard to believe that the K-5II, with it's superior focus engine, would be relegated to back-up Ron.
The man LOVES silver cameras.

04-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Who could argue with that?
04-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
How did you test yours?
It just delivers less power. My brother tested that. I guess it has two cells, each 3,6V. So basicly it is two off those small batterypacs in one I guess, since I have no idea about that. Problems came in when my buffer started to fill, so running SR, SDM and clearing the buffer was to much.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I think that the feeling is an important one to this for me. I just love the shiny bling-bling camera. The K-5 II is better in AF when light is going down, but most off the time I try to avoid those situations, since then your image quality goes down too.The most advantage with the new focussystem is with a fast lens, so that means Sigam 70-200mm/f2.8, but less with the DA*300mm/f4 since then you don't use the better centre AF- point at it's best.

Made from me last saturday (Apperently you can't with all Canon's )
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567739973247556&set=a.39728665695955...type=1&theater
04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It just delivers less power. My brother tested that. I guess it has two cells, each 3,6V. So basicly it is two off those small batterypacs in one I guess, since I have no idea about that. Problems came in when my buffer started to fill, so running SR, SDM and clearing the buffer was to much.
Thanks. That is why I always take at least 1 extra battery for the camera. No way, really, of predicting it so it could happen any time. Just glad that once i pulled the offending battery and put in a fresh (Washabi brand) battery all was good and I could keep going.
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
BeNe League Magazine

Just in today and in shops tomorrow. Womens soccer magazine BeNe League Magazine. There is one image from me in it covering a full page. The magazine is 72 pages.

This is the magazine:
BeNe League Magazine

It's the official magazine for the Dutch and Belgium soccer.

04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think that the feeling is an important one to this for me. I just love the shiny bling-bling camera. The K-5 II is better in AF when light is going down, but most off the time I try to avoid those situations, since then your image quality goes down too.The most advantage with the new focussystem is with a fast lens, so that means Sigam 70-200mm/f2.8, but less with the DA*300mm/f4 since then you don't use the better centre AF- point at it's best.

Made from me last saturday (Apperently you can't with all Canon's )
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567739973247556&set=a.39728665695955...type=1&theater
Thanks for clarifying the camera choice Ron. I might have known there'd be a decent reason..

cheers
Steve