Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well, I hope my photographic example was at least helpful to others if not you.
cheers.

10-21-2014, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well, I hope my photographic example was at least helpful to others if not you.
cheers.
Thanks for posting it Mike. I had read about the sensor shift ability, but without trying it myself, I didn't realize that it would shift far enough to have the effect you demonstrated. It's very rare that I might need this ability, but it's nice to know it's available.
10-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I have a feeling this was included to allow for macro photography and not for building etc changes as a true tilt shift lens allows.
10-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I have a feeling this was included to allow for macro photography and not for building etc changes as a true tilt shift lens allows.
I do remember reading that somewhere, long ago.

10-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the Ricoh support pages:

Q: What does the “Composition Adjustment” function do?

A: Using the camera's Shake Reduction unit, Composition Adjustment allows the user to make small changes to the picture's composition or to level the camera along the X-Y or rotational axis. Typically, Composition Adjustment would be used with the camera on a tripod.
Note: the function provides an adjustment range of ±1.5 mm up, down, left, or right and a rotating range of ±1° with the image sensor.
Note: the condition of composition can be confirmed from Live View.
Note: vignetting may occur depending on the lens being used.
Note: the saved adjustment value is reset when Live View is ended because this function is for Live View mode.
10-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I'll try to explain the 2 examples MikeSF in a different manner. His description seemed okay but maybe describing it a different way will help.

In order to keep a building from looking tilted backwards, you would usually keep the camera pointed at the building perpendicularly. If the building is too tall, though, you might have to angle the entire camera upwards, and that angle makes the building look like it's leaning backwards (photo #1). Pentax' composition adjust feature allow you to keep the camera perpendicular and instead shift the sensor to capture the top of the building (photo #2).

MikeSF's 2 photos show 2 different ways to get the building within frame. #1 tilts the entire camera and can be done with any camera. #2 shifts the sensor (the camera remains pointed perpendicular) and can only be done with some Pentax bodies or a tilt-shift lens.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 10-22-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: reworded to hopefully make things clearer
10-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'll try to explain the 2 examples MikeSF in a different manner. His description seemed okay but maybe describing it a different way will help.

In order to keep a building from looking tilted backwards, you would usually keep the camera pointed at the building perpendicularly. If the building is too tall, though, you might have to angle the entire camera upwards, and that angle makes the building look like it's leaning backwards (photo #1). Pentax' composition adjust feature allow you to keep the camera perpendicular and instead shift the sensor to capture the top of the building (photo #2).

MikeSF's 2 photos show 2 different ways to get the building within frame. #1 tilts the entire camera and can be done with any camera. #2 shifts the sensor (the camera remains pointed perpendicular) and can only be done with some Pentax bodies or a tilt-shift lens.
well explained, DeadJohn.

10-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
posting an example to this old thread. I may create a new thread with some examples.

Here are two images at 11mm on the K5. The first, shot normally (no adjustment), and the second with the sensor shift feature applied (re-composed to match the composition).
The effect is remarkable really, great for eliminating or reducing perspective distortion.
That's great, thanks.
11-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Here's 2 samples to demonstrate the sensor shift of the K-5. The first photo is taken with the sensor in the center, the second was stitched from several shots with the sensor being moved around to cover a bigger area. The camera was standing in the same position.
Attached Images

11-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the demonstration. This looks like a very useful feature.
11-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for the demonstration. This looks like a very useful feature.
It totally can be. I wish Pentax had a touchscreen, which would make it easier to move around, and maybe a SR that can cover a FF area. So your APS-C camera can turn into FF. And the image acquisition from different positions needs to be easier. Like bracketing, turn on a setting and then press the shutter, the camera should do the rest. Maybe even stitch them into one higher res raw file.
11-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
It totally can be. I wish Pentax had a touchscreen, which would make it easier to move around, and maybe a SR that can cover a FF area. So your APS-C camera can turn into FF. And the image acquisition from different positions needs to be easier. Like bracketing, turn on a setting and then press the shutter, the camera should do the rest. Maybe even stitch them into one higher res raw file.
i agree. using sensor shift to stitch four shifted images together seems like a clumsy way to shoot a pano unless there were some future functionality to program it as a one-button operation as you've described, in which case, that would be VERY nice. Somebody tell Pentax!!

Last edited by mikeSF; 11-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.
11-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So how is the sensor shift pano better or easier than a standard multi shot pano stitched with a good program.
11-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
So how is the sensor shift pano better or easier than a standard multi shot pano stitched with a good program.
It isn't. I think the point was just to demonstrate how much movement/extra coverage you can get. The sensor shift is useful in practice for slight adjustments in composition after you have the tripod locked down, and for perspective correction as pointed out (by being able to keep the camera parallel to subject, or more parallel) while not cutting off the top (or less of it) of structures...
11-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I appreciate your posts. It is nice to have the extra information on the sensor shift.