Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Interval Shooting Problem

I recently started using my K5 to create 4K time lapse sequences. On several occasions I've experienced the camera ceasing to shoot with anywhere from a 100 or more frames left to completion of the programmed number. I attributed this to possible sensor overheating and a protection circuit activating. Not wanting to use up the shutter life on my K5, I recently ordered a K01, mostly for time lapse shooting. Tonight I went out to a location, programmed it for 300 frames and at about 200 exposed, it did the same thing as my K5. Simply stopped shooting. I've used the same lens on all occasions, on both bodies. Do I have some type of lens problem or ???? Has anyone else experienced this type of thing with the K5 or K01? Thanks.

04-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps it's an outer temperature problem, you can try to put the K5 in a frige, or a short time in a freezer, to see how much photos it takes then. Did you let enough time between the frames ?
04-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #3

Are you filling the memory card?
Does it shut down or just stop taking pictures?
04-26-2013, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you know if its missing shots at the end or within the sequence? I'm wondering what are your full settings, automatic metering & image interval etc. Is it possible that by the time it is coming up for the next timed exposure it hasn't finished the previous shot (& beware at night you might have to factor in the Dark Frame subtraction)

04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

I had this same issue when I first tried the interval shooting option on my K5.

I had turned on the distortion correction, among other settings and sometimes the camera would take longer than the interval time specified to process the image and save it. This caused the camera to skip those images while it was processing.

It seems the camera calculates how much time to spend based on the number of images and the interval and doesn't shoot past that. If 300 images are specified with an interval of 2 seconds, the camera will shoot for ten minutes (600 seconds) even if the number of images produced is less than 300. If any images take more than 2 seconds to process, there could be skipped images.
04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bsimot Quote
It seems the camera calculates how much time to spend based on the number of images and the interval and doesn't shoot past that. If 300 images are specified with an interval of 2 seconds, the camera will shoot for ten minutes (600 seconds) even if the number of images produced is less than 300. If any images take more than 2 seconds to process, there could be skipped images.
Clever, I hadn't thought of that. I have had the same problem as the OP before, but only when shooting long exposures.

@CDW: Are you shooting RAW? All that memory could be messing things up. I've been using 6MP JPG files, since that's more than enough for full HD with lots of room for cropping. It looks like you need the full 16MP for 4K. The next one down is 10MP, which is just a few pixels short on the horizonal side, even though 4K is only 8MP. Darn widescreen...
04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
CDW
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. I shoot JPGs, tried shooting RAWs but processing time seemed to bog things down. I've had the problem happen daytime and nightime, various temps. I'm shooting 4K so I have room to make pan/zoom movements with software without losing apparent resolution when converted to 1080P output. BSIMOTs explanation makes some sense. If BSIMOTs analysis is accurate, then the capability is somewhat flawed as implemented by Pentax. A very fast SD card could possibly help.