Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Lowvoltage - sorry for not getting back to you in time - I guess I missed this thread. But glad to hear you went with the suggestion and it's working well for you

I actually just returned a couple of weeks ago from being in the field for 5 days, and for literally 80% of the time, we were rained on. I slept outside, so instead of putting my wet cameras in my bag, I just left them outside to survive the night and the elements (we were sleeping in military hooches - sleeping bag under a tarp of your own construction)

I noticed water condence underneath there a little, but that is mostly because I think I dislodged the screen protector a little and caused a small hole in the glue along the edge. Probably from banging and sliding around on my military gear/vests since that's often the uniform in which I shoot (yes, even out of a combat zone ), but I wouldn't worry about that happening to you, especially right away. Otherwise, for the past 6 months, I never had an issue with either screen (rear or top LCD). And if it happens, they aren't expensive, so every 6-12 months you can replace them with new screen protectors. That's why we get them, right? To take all the scratches and abuse so the actual camera screens don't

But I honestly wouldn't worry about dust or moisture getting in there - they seal VERY well. Just make sure you clean the back/top of the camera as best you can so it gets a great adhesion.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else

-Heie
Thank you Heie, sounds like this camera is made for the Army and screen protector too…. I guess will be ordering it now. Like to be safe as I maybe planning on a 4 day hike in Machu Pichu and heard that it gets pretty rainy there. Oh one more thing, just curious how do you carry your camera while you hiking the bush, do you have a holster or keep it exposed hanging by your chest? I find it easier on my chest for quick grab but don't like it dangling so I try to strap it with the back pack belt, But sometime I don't like it exposed and trying to find a chest bag/holster. Sorry this should be in a another thread, but just a quick query. Thanks again...

10-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to here my experiences have helped you in your decision

And for straps, I use the OP/Tech system as there's different configurations and all interchangeable. Specifically for hiking, the Backpack/Reporter straps that hook into the webbing of your backpack and keep your camera hanging in front of you.

And a video showing it.

This was how I carried my upper camera when conducting foot patrols in Afghanistan - I have never had the clips or buckles fail on me. The upper camera is the K-7 + DA* 16-50. Also, if you are curious, the lower camera (K-5 + Grip + DA* 60-250 - in order words, a lot of weight!) was using the same system's (Op/Tech) Sling Strap, whose buckles were the same and thus interchangeable. I can't find the other image that shows them hanging with me standing, but you get the point I recommend without any reservation this system. And look it up on Amazon...it's cheaper than you probably expect

Name:  28B11123D58B40EF9DF3861D18B79178.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  130.5 KB

Hope this helps

-Heie

QuoteOriginally posted by Amante Quote
Thank you Heie, sounds like this camera is made for the Army and screen protector too…. I guess will be ordering it now. Like to be safe as I maybe planning on a 4 day hike in Machu Pichu and heard that it gets pretty rainy there. Oh one more thing, just curious how do you carry your camera while you hiking the bush, do you have a holster or keep it exposed hanging by your chest? I find it easier on my chest for quick grab but don't like it dangling so I try to strap it with the back pack belt, But sometime I don't like it exposed and trying to find a chest bag/holster. Sorry this should be in a another thread, but just a quick query. Thanks again...
10-08-2013, 01:10 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was how I carried my upper camera when conducting foot patrols in Afghanistan
Heie, someone should have made a documentary about you going to war in this configuration. Just carrying one gripped K-5ii in my Crumpler shoulder bag sometimes feels like an anvil across my chest. Seriously, amazing.
10-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Forum Member

And for straps, I use the OP/Tech system as there's different configurations and all interchangeable. Specifically for hiking, the Backpack/Reporter straps that hook into the webbing of your backpack and keep your camera hanging in front of you.

And a video showing it.

Reporter/Backpack Adaptor - OP/TECH USA System Connectors? - YouTube

This was how I carried my upper camera when conducting foot patrols in Afghanistan - I have never had the clips or buckles fail on me. The upper camera is the K-7 + DA* 16-50. Also, if you are curious, the lower camera (K-5 + Grip + DA* 60-250 - in order words, a lot of weight!) was using the same system's (Op/Tech) Sling Strap, whose buckles were the same and thus interchangeable. I can't find the other image that shows them hanging with me standing, but you get the point I recommend without any reservation this system. And look it up on Amazon...it's cheaper than you probably expect

Attachment 190446

Hope this helps

-Heie
Awesome, thank you Heie. I was thinking of using Lowepro chest harness but this would work for me also. And I agree with LowVoltage get some video done… Thanks again.

02-24-2014, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Lowvoltage - sorry for not getting back to you in time - I guess I missed this thread. But glad to hear you went with the suggestion and it's working well for you

I actually just returned a couple of weeks ago from being in the field for 5 days, and for literally 80% of the time, we were rained on. I slept outside, so instead of putting my wet cameras in my bag, I just left them outside to survive the night and the elements (we were sleeping in military hooches - sleeping bag under a tarp of your own construction)

I noticed water condence underneath there a little, but that is mostly because I think I dislodged the screen protector a little and caused a small hole in the glue along the edge. Probably from banging and sliding around on my military gear/vests since that's often the uniform in which I shoot (yes, even out of a combat zone ), but I wouldn't worry about that happening to you, especially right away. Otherwise, for the past 6 months, I never had an issue with either screen (rear or top LCD). And if it happens, they aren't expensive, so every 6-12 months you can replace them with new screen protectors. That's why we get them, right? To take all the scratches and abuse so the actual camera screens don't

But I honestly wouldn't worry about dust or moisture getting in there - they seal VERY well. Just make sure you clean the back/top of the camera as best you can so it gets a great adhesion.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else

-Heie

Hey Heie,
I did bought it as you suggested and sorry for the late reply, I just got back from Peru, did the inca trek and the amazon. It work well and almost fully drop my camera once and ding the screen protector and held well but a little scratched. Glad I had it on, however in the amazon it rained a lot and 100% humidity. As soon the sun came out and started taking photos and breathing on the screen at same time it created moisture between the protector and lcd screen but it went away in few a minutes but moisture did not make contact on the lcd screen. if I did not have the protector it would have done the same thing as before. Anyway thanks again...
02-24-2014, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

And a video showing it.

Attachment 190446

Hope this helps

-Heie
BY THE WAY Heie,
I did end up getting lowepro top loader with front harness and side lens case attached to it. See attached photo of me my daughter at the inca trail also carrying a monopod for walking stick. Carrying the case was a bit awkward specially walking down a big steps on the Gringo killer trail in which the steps were 12" to 18" high, it was hard to see where your feet are and had to move it on side once and awhile but manage. But the good thing about this is that it gives me well balance pack, anyway thanks for your suggestion... Cheers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-24-2014, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

And a video showing it.

Attachment 190446

Hope this helps

-Heie
BY THE WAY Heie,
I did end up getting lowepro top loader with front harness and side lens case attached to it. See attached photo of me my daughter at the inca trail also carrying a monopod for walking stick. Carrying the case was a bit awkward specially walking down a big steps on the Gringo killer trail in which the steps were 12" to 18" high, it was hard to see where your feet are and had to move it on side once and awhile but manage. But the good thing about this is that it gives me well balance pack, anyway thanks for your suggestion... Cheers
Proof of the ruggedness of Pentax gear!

02-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Proof of the ruggedness of Pentax gear!
For me is yet to be seen, I baby my gear.... But being said, Heie is the man can botch for this...
02-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

For me is yet to be seen, I baby my gear.... But being said, Heie is the man can botch for this...
Well even though I have never been there, I do know the mountains of Peru are rugged.

And any camera that can survive a trail named Gringo Killer has to be tough!
02-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I bought a screen protector from Monoprice intended for an iPhone or other large-screen smartphone (can't remember which now). I just cut it down and stuck it on there. Works wonderfully well. Cost me 50 cents. One can be shipped for like $1.50 or so; if you order other stuff it will add in free.
02-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #26
Forum Member

Well even though I have never been there, I do know the mountains of Peru are rugged.

And any camera that can survive a trail named Gringo Killer has to be tough!
Yes for sure the terrain are very rugged in Peru. Machu Pichu inca trail was not very worrisome for me as trail was quite relatively tamed and manageable. The Gringo Killer steps trail has an intimidating name but I find it relative easy enough to go down, but going up is another story. My camera is usually tuck in the case with belt latch on not zippered while I am either climbing or descending the mountain, so when I want to take a photo I just unlatch and grab the camera and then back in again. This way the camera is not dangling and not in the way (had minor drop once and hit the screen protector) . What really worried me is the elements/weather as the Inca trail when I trek it, I was fortunate to have a mild weather and it did not rain as much as this was the rainy season. However being said that, the amazon rain forest was another story, 100% humidity and it rained alot as this was the record breaking rainy season for them. My lenses fogged up several times every time the sun comes out to peek. It also created a condensation in the air gap between the screen protector and lcd screen but it went away within few minutes, thank goodness I had the screen protector as I had replace the LCD screen prior to my trip. It was moisture that killed some pixel on the LCD.

My K5II survive the amazon rainforest....
02-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5II survive the amazon rainforest....
Great story Amante, sounds like you had a good time.

The Amazon Rain Forest, a true test of the WR cameras.

+ 10 for Pentax WR gear.
02-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #28
Forum Member

Great story Amante, sounds like you had a good time.

The Amazon Rain Forest, a true test of the WR cameras.

+ 10 for Pentax WR gear.
It was fun traveling in south and central America, wish I had more time for creative photos. Being with a tour and impatient wife, you have to basically point, shoot and make the best of it. I will be posting some shots in google plus if you like to see https://plus.google.com/u/0/106010767597397782147/posts

Cheers
02-25-2014, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

It was fun traveling in south and central America, wish I had more time for creative photos. Being with a tour and impatient wife, you have to basically point, shoot and make the best of it. I will be posting some shots in google plus if you like to see https://plus.google.com/u/0/106010767597397782147/posts

Cheers
Some very nice shots Amante! Thanks for sharing.
02-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
Forum Member

Some very nice shots Amante! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for visiting, Stay tuned and keep checking my page will be adding more and soon as I complete my tour album I will post it here in this forum too.