Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any way to make camera refocus before shot on timer?

I want to take some self portraits with the K5. I drag along a light tripod with me when I go to cool places, but I'm having trouble getting good shots of myself. I'm using the 12 second tmer but it seems like it only does autofocus from the moment you click the shutter rather than when it actually takes the picture, so unless I manual focus and dial in my exact distance to the camera (which can be tricky), it's hard to get the camera to focus on me when I walk out in front of it. Is there some setting you can alter that will make the camera do the autofocus right before it snaps the actual picture rather than when the shutter is pressed?

05-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Turn on face detect, use IR remote.
05-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, use a remote (both IR and radio will work), but make sure, you have the following Custom Menu items set properly:

With Radio (or cable) Remote:
C.15: AF.S should be "1" (Focus Priority).

With IR Remote:
C.18: AF with Remote Control should be "2" (AF operates prior to shutter release).
05-08-2013, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

You will love me for this. Use intervalator or time lapse. It auto focuses on each shot. You can dial in the interval and number of shots.

05-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Intervalometer is a great call, thanks. That way I can take 3 or 4 shots too without going back to the camera in case I'm blinking or whatever.