Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Is Pentax K-5 sensor stain real?

MOD EDIT: It was long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away.

<link removed>

Last edited by Parallax; 05-08-2013 at 09:17 AM.
05-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I thought you were saying that the K-01 had stain issues!?
And seriously ... you are using Photo rumors to back up your stories!?

I know early models of K-5 had some issues with dust on the sensor ... and if I am correct, Pentax did fix the issue on later models (mine is clean as a whistle), plus, from the stories I have read, they did fix the early cameras as well when people sent it in for repairs.
05-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

It was a real problem in the early batches of the original K5, but was solved a long time ago and almost all cameras that were affected were repaired. It is possible that there are some still out there in old stock or in the used market though.
05-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
that was published in 2010 - if it was as bigger an issue as it has been with recent Nikon camera bodies them i'm pretty sure we would be hearing about it. My 645D arrived with a few spots on the sensor - but I always clean the sensor/mirror box on a new camera first thing anyway so it wasn't an issue. Anyone who expects their cameras to be perfect out of the box have unrealistic expectations - batteries need charging, camera straps need adjusting, the Dioptre needs adjustment - It isn't a major drama for me to clean out the sensor/mirror box.

05-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sensor stain involved early units. After Pentax exchanged the said units, all new units DO NOT have this problem anymore. I got my K5 in Dec 2011 and it did not have this problem.
05-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my K-5 in Nov 2011 without any problems ... now, the recent Nikon D600 "Dustgate" is on a whole different level IMO ... for funnies, I just typed Nikon D600 in Google and got "Nikon D600 dust" as a suggested response ! J

PS - Also, in France, Chasseur d'Image just did a multi-page write up about the dust problem ...
05-08-2013, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #7

Why start a thread about an article from 2010? This is really old news and known to nearly all who have a K-5.

05-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
that was published in 2010 - if it was as bigger an issue as it has been with recent Nikon camera bodies them i'm pretty sure we would be hearing about it. My 645D arrived with a few spots on the sensor - but I always clean the sensor/mirror box on a new camera first thing anyway so it wasn't an issue. Anyone who expects their cameras to be perfect out of the box have unrealistic expectations - batteries need charging, camera straps need adjusting, the Dioptre needs adjustment - It isn't a major drama for me to clean out the sensor/mirror box.
It actually was a pretty big issue - and Pentax addressed it extremely fast. I was one of the first ones to discover the issue - and found out about it less than 2 weeks before a 2 1/2 week trip to Italy. The retailer I bought it from went above and beyond, contacted their Pentax rep who authorized an overnight exchange of a new camera that was checked before being sent.

That aside, what exactly is the point of this thread?
05-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
That aside, what exactly is the point of this thread?
He is very adamant in trying to prove that Pentax is a really bad brand ... nothing else.
05-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Phii Mii Quote
Why start a thread about an article from 2010? This is really old news and known to nearly all who have a K-5.
Maybe because Pentax handled better its "Staingate" as opposed to Nikon's handling of its current "Dustgate" ... J

PS - Chasseur d'Image reported that class action suits were being considered against Nikon ...
05-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
My 645D arrived with a few spots on the sensor - but I always clean the sensor/mirror box on a new camera first thing anyway so it wasn't an issue
IF Pentax ever has had a perfect digital camera it would be the 645d. Now there is one Pentax camera that does stand on it's own - as is. But one also has to wonder if they'll ever be updating it. Even though Hasselblad hasn't yet released the new H5, both Hasselblad and Mamiya should both have sensors in the 100mp range; most likely this year.
05-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Call me stupid, many have and I don't mind, but I can't understand the reason behind starting this thread...
05-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
both Hasselblad and Mamiya should both have sensors in the 100mp range; most likely this year.
unlikely - there is still some improvements that have to be made in terms of sensor architecture before we will see significant increases in pixel count above 80Mp. At present the biggest issue is long exposure noise - larger sensors produce a great deal of heat, and preventing that from affecting the sensors noise performance with long exposures is going to be a bridge that will have to be crossed.
05-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Such an old (2010) story, and an issue that has already been extensively covered on this forum and in the photo media. You make it sound like there is some sort of cover up happening, but everyone else around here knows this is old news.

Pentax resolved this problem with early K-5's openly (including a Jan 2011 statement and mea culpa directly from Pentax Japan HQ) and directly several years ago. No new DSLRs from Pentax - eg K-30, K-5 II - have had any such issues.
05-08-2013, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

................. and in further breaking news:
Two brothers have successfully tested their new invention. "My brother Wilbur and I couldn't be more pleased, Orville said."
Closed Thread