Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Still the best dSLR purchase I have made. Just incredible when paired with great glass.
I have to agree with you. I am loving this camera. I am very happy with all of the improvements. If this is just the beginning of what Pentax Ricoh can offer, then I am looking forward to what new cameras we will get this year and the next.

06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Still the best dSLR purchase I have made. Just incredible when paired with great glass.
I have to agree - the IIs has brought a whole new appreciation of my DA*/FA* lenses.
06-14-2013, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #93
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have recently returned from a conference where I was the photographer for the event using the K-5 IIs. Whilst the camera hasn't revolutionised the shooting experience or my results (nor did I expect that) but I can say that its low light focusing is reliably accurate and greatly more speedy where it is most needed in the indoor concert/event setting. Sharpness is as I would have expected - crisper at low ISO than the K-5 classic, but the benefits aren't much to speak of with ISOs higher than 800 or so. In any case, the K-5 IIs is a top camera, without doubt one of the best APS-C cameras available.
06-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #94
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think i must have gotten some excellent copies of K5. Now on the second new K5 iis ( the first was defective) and really don't see a significant difference between the 2 bodies. I do alot of BIF so I don't feel it is faster than the K5. I find interesting with the K5 iis is that each lens has a different alignment which seems to be the norm but with both my k5 the alignment is consistently off for all lens (about +5). So for those drooling I would wait although I seem to be the abnormal one or just got lucky with some awesome K5s. No regrets but now have 3 nice bodies

06-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #95
Veteran Member

You are probably right Amy about the K-5. Through my troubles with 2 of them, I read everything I could find about AF issues. In summary, there seemed to be some with the same AF float that I had, but not a lot posted on the forums. So I guess that some have the AF float but a lot don't.

Seems like you feel a bit let down with the IIs since most of us on this thread are raving about the difference. But as you say, you must have a very good pair of K-5's that the AF is working like it should. And it makes me kind of wonder - most people have said that with their K-5 they needed fine AF adjustment, but with the IIs they needed no adjustment - myself included. This is kind of weird. With my K-5, I could make the fine AF adjustment, and it would be good for a couple days, but then get off again somehow and need another adjustment. I did have mine serviced by CRIS, but then sold it soon afterwards so can't tell if the problem persisted or was a permanent fix.

Well at least now you know - if you aren't seeing enough of a difference with the IIs why not send it back for a refund?
06-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I think i must have gotten some excellent copies of K5. Now on the second new K5 iis ( the first was defective) and really don't see a significant difference between the 2 bodies. I do alot of BIF so I don't feel it is faster than the K5. I find interesting with the K5 iis is that each lens has a different alignment which seems to be the norm but with both my k5 the alignment is consistently off for all lens (about +5). So for those drooling I would wait although I seem to be the abnormal one or just got lucky with some awesome K5s. No regrets but now have 3 nice bodies
Sorry that you are disappointed. I found the difference very significant, obviously, but Adam keeps saying that the difference is not worth an upgrade from a K-5. For me it certainly has been but I do see that others may not have the same experience. As Stan suggested, why not return it if you don't see a significant gain?
06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #97
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i would probably return it but don't know how b&h would handle the 30 day time period...the first camera i had about 2 weeks but it took them another 2 weeks to receive and send another camera and then i was out of town for 5 days after the camera came so i have a feeling they would not allow me to return...i haven't tried but think they would say i have passed the 30 day period...i went in knowing that there were people who saw a difference and others who did not (i did see adam's comment before i bought)...my main reason for posting was to let others know that it might not give them more than they have now...i certainly don't feel that anyone was responsible for getting me where i am...i couldn't be happier about how pleased you are with yours...i consider myself fortunate that i got 2 awesome copies of the k5 and they are still doing great...so no worries but thanks for your imput!!!

06-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i would probably return it but don't know how b&h would handle the 30 day time period...the first camera i had about 2 weeks but it took them another 2 weeks to receive and send another camera and then i was out of town for 5 days after the camera came so i have a feeling they would not allow me to return...i haven't tried but think they would say i have passed the 30 day period...i went in knowing that there were people who saw a difference and others who did not (i did see adam's comment before i bought)...my main reason for posting was to let others know that it might not give them more than they have now...i certainly don't feel that anyone was responsible for getting me where i am...i couldn't be happier about how pleased you are with yours...i consider myself fortunate that i got 2 awesome copies of the k5 and they are still doing great...so no worries but thanks for your imput!!!
I'd still try, B&H can be a really good outfit. No harm, no foul when you try.
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I'd still try, B&H can be a really good outfit. No harm, no foul when you try.
I agree - worth a phone call. Looking at all the lenses you own, I can assume that you've bought quite a few of them new from B&H. They do like to take care of their good customers. Just be honest and tell them exactly why you are wanting to send it back.
06-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I agree - worth a phone call. Looking at all the lenses you own, I can assume that you've bought quite a few of them new from B&H. They do like to take care of their good customers. Just be honest and tell them exactly why you are wanting to send it back.

yep they have gotten all of my business...i will try