Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K5 issues in last batches

Hello

My SN of my K5 is 4226531 and it was manufactured at the end of 2011.I read on dpreview some comments like this..

"On the K5 some claim that if you turn the shake reduction off you get much improved AF speed. Use SR only when needed."

And this:

"
By jf_tea (3 weeks ago)
The low-lights issues...
Have they been resolved ?
Really?
The two original K5 that I have used have problems with extreme front focusing under yellowish low-light: Tunsgten (indoor and some flood lights outdoors) and Sodium (street lamps).
*** I wish Pentax offered owners the option of upgrading the AF module ! ***
Otherwise, the K5 is fine under sunlight (even dusk) and bright light, or blueish low light (mercury lamps)."

And this is the answer for the above comment...
"
By jaad75 (3 weeks ago)
They have been resolved completely. But they weren't that pronounced with a good copy of original K-5 as well. Original K-5 just could not focus in such a low light as K-5II can and slowed down noticeably when light levels were between EV4-EV3 where K-5II keeps that regular speed to EV2-EV1. There is a great improvement with AF accuracy as well."

I need to know if the above comments are still true for later batches..I have a feeling that my camera was manufactured in the last batches before discontinuation of the product..

Thank you

05-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been no reports of problems with sensor issues with later batches of the K-5. The manual says that under certain conditions it is better to turn off SR, that is nothing new nor is it a problem or defect. The K-5 was rated to 0EV and I have had good locks and not so good locks in that range. The K-5II/IIs does work in lower light, is more positive in its AF lock, and has faster AF but it also has a NEW processor in it. The K-5 has the SAFOX IX and the K-5II/IIs have the SAFOX X.
05-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
Hello

My SN of my K5 is 4226531 and it was manufactured at the end of 2011.I read on dpreview some comments like this..
You can find the productiondate in the exif somewhere and I think it is from first half off 2011.
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you haven't already, you should update your camera to the latest v1.14 K-5 firmware.

Many performance and other tweaks have been made since v1.00 of the firmware, which may be the version that shipped from the factory to you. The firmware changes include some updates that relate to improving AF performance under tungsten light, and some significant improvements to stuff like the RAW buffer depth of the camera.

Also: don't believe everything you read from randoms on dpr.

05-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you haven't already, you should update your camera to the latest v1.14 K-5 firmware.

Many performance and other tweaks have been made since v1.00 of the firmware, which may be the version that shipped from the factory to you. The firmware changes include some updates that relate to improving AF performance under tungsten light, and some significant improvements to stuff like the RAW buffer depth of the camera.

Also: don't believe everything you read from randoms on dpr.
Amen Brother rawr!
05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Most issues has been resolved with firmware upgrade or at least make it less off an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The K-5II/IIs does work in lower light, is more positive in its AF lock, and has faster AF but it also has a NEW processor in it. The K-5 has the SAFOX IX and the K-5II/IIs have the SAFOX X.
First time i heard that they have a new processor, what is your source?
05-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Using pentaxforums shutter count aplication here is my toy..The upgrade to 1.14 was done when it was released..

Camera PENTAX K-5
Manufature Date 2011:10:15
Shutter Count 2,441
Firmware version 1.14

05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
First time i heard that they have a new processor, what is your source?
Testing the SAFOX X in K-5 II: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Pentax K-5 II Camera - Initial Test
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #9

Processor, or processing engine?

The K-5IIs box clearly touts the Prime M engine.

I always figured this was a mistake, though.
Attached Images

05-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Processor, or processing engine?
I assume Docrwm was speaking of the AF processor as the statement was part of a sentence commenting on the improved AF.
05-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #11

Fair enough.

It's late, I'm buggered and possibly hallucinating just a little.
05-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I assume Docrwm was speaking of the AF processor as the statement was part of a sentence commenting on the improved AF.
Thanks. I did say "The K-5 has the SAFOX IX and the K-5II/IIs have the SAFOX X."
05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You did say that but the SAFOX is the complete AF system and you said; "also a NEW processor" hence the confusing.