Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New IIs; What's your test checklist?

Waiting for the UPS truck...chewing my nails...

What specific tests should I make for the IIs, do you think? An out-of-focus light background to rule out the chance (hopefully minuscule by now) of sensor stain. A dark one, to ferret out any pixel-level issues with sensor or screen. Handheld stills and video clips with SR on and off to ensure that that's working.

Anything else?

Whoops -- Brown truck! GOTTA GO!

05-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
You forgot the most important one...

Does it take absolutely stunning pictures that are gonna make you the happiest bunny on the planet.
05-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

7fps till buffer fills.
05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i think i am in the minority...i am happy with the camera (had it about a week) but haven't got that OMG feeling yet...i haven't had a chance to take the bird shots that i typically like to do so maybe the pictures i am doing now don't really show me what i'm getting...i need more time but haven't hit that moment of WOW yet

05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
You forgot the most important one...

Does it take absolutely stunning pictures that are gonna make you the happiest bunny on the planet.
i just notice you have a 135 1.8...lucky man...is it as good as they say
05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I have to say that the K-7 made me a pretty happy bunny. Now I'm going to be a higher-resolution bunny in low light. :-)
05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
is it as good as they say
IMHO better, it's just so damned sharp, bright viewfinder etc etc, I really do think it's one of Pentax's finest.

Have a wee look at the 135 mm Club thread there's a few folk posted image examples in there, some of mine too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/99057-135mm-lens-club.html

05-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IMHO better, it's just so damned sharp, bright viewfinder etc etc, I really do think it's one of Pentax's finest.

Have a wee look at the 135 mm Club thread there's a few folk posted image examples in there, some of mine too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/99057-135mm-lens-club.html
very nice until i saw some guy who got one for $50...talk about green
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Green

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
very nice until i saw some guy who got one for $50...talk about green
Had to laugh. Friend of mine, who has an uncanny knack for picking up great stuff for a song or out of the trash, wrote earlier this week to ask me if I had a good wide-angle which he could borrow for a trip. Oh, and he'd picked up a used lens. I started writing back to say "Sure, borrow any lens of mine that you like" when I noticed which lens (quotes from his original email to me prefixed by ">"):
Loan you a wide-angle? Oh, sure, I'd be glad to --

> I picked up an old Pentax 50mm 1.2 M lens here in town from a guy for $25.

-- HATE YOU AND BLACKEN YOUR NAME FOR ALL ETERNITY!! Mountain bikes off treebanks, and now THIS!! Sweet bouncing Christ on a pogo stick, do you even know what those are fetching on eBay? I didn't even bother bidding on any because didn't have HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS to spend on another 50mm!

> Not automatic but great glass.

Gee, ya THINK? Now you're just twisting the knife, Finn. Sheesh!

> But I'm not finding any fast wide angle lenses which would match the low end of my kit lens. At least not cheap ones.

Well boo-fricking-HOO, buddy!

Congratulations. You have officially won Best Lens Deal Ever, beating my $11 70-200 zoom by a considerable margin. Pentax Forums' mean user review rating for the K-model is an almost-unsurpassed 9.34 out of 10 -- for comparison, the 18-55 is 7.59 -- at a mean price of $358.

Wait, it IS the f/1.2 and not the f/2, right? If it's the latter you still got an excellent deal but there is some chance that someday I may forgive you.
(It was the f/2. I forgave him.)
05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fewayne Quote
Friend of mine, who has an uncanny knack for picking up great stuff for a song
Aye, everyone seems to know one of these (lucky charmed folk), there must be a lot more of them than we think.
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Aye, everyone seems to know one of these (lucky charmed folk), there must be a lot more of them than we think.
Hmm, I knew one, her name was Doris Fang. Well, knew is a big word, we were both frequenting the same olympus OM mailing list, back in the stone-ages. She'd go to a garage sale and pick up a box for 25 quid, and find that it contained several of the hard-to-find-and-painfully-expensive Zuiko lenses and a body and ... various other stuff, running in the thousands.

She'd do it so often that "a fang" became accepted as the commonly-used term for "an unbelievable bargain on photo-gear" on that list.

She was a great photographer too...I'm sure that she still is, but the OM community has withered to the point where I don't keep up any more....
05-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Drop it in the pool over the night to test the weather sealing and after that attach it with a rope to the back of the car an drive away with it hanging to the ground to test for weak spots in the housing. If it survives without damage I can promise you that I'ts a good one!
05-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

What specific tests should I make for the IIs, do you think?
I asked the same question a while ago.

You could check whether the electronic level is calibrated correctly.

Luckily, I didn't encounter any issues so far.

Enjoy!
05-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting for the UPS truck...chewing my nails...

What specific tests should I make for the IIs, do you think? An out-of-focus light background to rule out the chance (hopefully minuscule by now) of sensor stain. A dark one, to ferret out any pixel-level issues with sensor or screen. Handheld stills and video clips with SR on and off to ensure that that's working.

Anything else?

Whoops -- Brown truck! GOTTA GO!
My checklist:

- Try to contain childlike excitement while unboxing;
- Charge battery;
- Update firmware;
- Enjoy your superb camera.
05-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
My checklist:

- Try to contain childlike excitement while unboxing;
- Charge battery;
- Update firmware;
- Enjoy your superb camera.
The first point will be very difficult !