Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Pentax IR Remote C

In searching through the forum, I noticed that little is written about the Pentax remote C. Perhaps I just couldn't find the discussion threads, so thought it might be useful to start a simple thread on this simple small device: the Pentax Remote C.

Got one recently from Amazon for $5 to test on my Pentax K5 IIs. Just took a few shots with the remote with a prime lens. Works beautifully and flawlessly. Looks like there may be additional features to the remote that could be explored. Have not tried auto-zoom with the remote; but certainly autofocus is working very well with the remote. Will be trying later with other lenses to test this out. Not sure what great features there are with this; but I believe some simple instructions are given in the K-x or even the K5 II/ IIs manuals.

Would like to know if others have tried using this simple and small device with other Pentax cameras like the K01. For me, the $5 is really well spent. The remote is very small & handy and great for shooting remotely. Are there other interesting things that can be done with this remote?

05-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Auto-zoom is not supported on your camera.
05-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Auto-zoom is not supported on your camera.
Thanks JimJohnson. There are two buttons on the Remote C. I am still trying to figure out what they do and can do. Would you know where I can find out such information?
05-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be frank, I am guessing based on other Pentax compatible IR remote releases....

With all Pentax IR remotes, the only button that performs the same function on all IR release equipped Pentax cameras is the shutter release.

The zoom button is only functional on Pentax Point & Shoot cameras with a powered zoom feature. On current Pentax dSLR cameras it either does nothing, or may cause the camera to auto-focus.
The Fn button on some remotes is also likely meant primarily for P&S cameras. Again, on current Pentax dSLR cameras it either does nothing, or may cause the camera to auto-focus.

Personally, I have always gone into my camera's menu and linked AF to shutter release when using an IR remote so one button does it all. If I don't want the camera to re-focus, I pre-focus then switch the lens to manual focus before using the remote. It is a lot faster than switching the menu settings and I never have to worry about what settings are currently in place. After losing a more expensive IR remote, I paid US$1.88 for my last IR remote (with only one button) and it works just as well (or just as poorly depending on your circumstances) as more expensive IR remotes. Based on the local cost of purchasing a replacement button cell battery, it is less expensive to just replace the entire remote.

05-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
To be frank, I am guessing based on other Pentax compatible IR remote releases....

With all Pentax IR remotes, the only button that performs the same function on all IR release equipped Pentax cameras is the shutter release.

The zoom button is only functional on Pentax Point & Shoot cameras with a powered zoom feature. On current Pentax dSLR cameras it either does nothing, or may cause the camera to auto-focus.
The Fn button on some remotes is also likely meant primarily for P&S cameras. Again, on current Pentax dSLR cameras it either does nothing, or may cause the camera to auto-focus.

Personally, I have always gone into my camera's menu and linked AF to shutter release when using an IR remote so one button does it all. If I don't want the camera to re-focus, I pre-focus then switch the lens to manual focus before using the remote. It is a lot faster than switching the menu settings and I never have to worry about what settings are currently in place. After losing a more expensive IR remote, I paid US$1.88 for my last IR remote (with only one button) and it works just as well (or just as poorly depending on your circumstances) as more expensive IR remotes. Based on the local cost of purchasing a replacement button cell battery, it is less expensive to just replace the entire remote.
Thanks - very helpful information indeed. Wow, the IR remote is really cheap ($1.88); what IR remote is this and where do you get it from?
05-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SECELEE Quote
Thanks - very helpful information indeed. Wow, the IR remote is really cheap ($1.88); what IR remote is this and where do you get it from?

Search eBay. Or just follow the link in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/186110-make-wired-release-any...ir-camera.html
The price varies a few pennies up or down over time, likely due to the currency exchange rates.
06-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks...followed your link and found an IR remote for under $1, battery and shipping included. Amazing. Will wait to test this one-button remote to see how it compares.

Tested the Pentax Remote C (currently selling for $5 on ebay with shipping); and found the second button actually quite helpful. The main button seems to be for triggering the shutter to take the picture; while the smaller second button works like pressing the shutter button half-way; forcing the camera to refocus. So it can be used to focus before capturing; while if choosing to preset the focus, you would just use the main button. Works perfectly with the K5 and the K01. Will try out what else it will do. Would be interested to know experiences of others who have "played" with this amazing small IR device.