Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Auto ISO question

This is probably going to sound stupid but I have a question about auto ISO in AV mode. My K100 and K20 both had auto ISO in AV mode. My K5 never has. I have to hit the ISO button and change the ISO manually when in AV w/the K5. It changes automatically in TAV but I use AV almost all the time. Is this normal or do I have something not set right in the menu or is my camera screwed up? Warranty runs out this month so I need to ship it back if it's screwed up.

06-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #2

In AV mode: press and hold the iso button and then click the green button at the same time, it'll turn on auto iso.
Press the iso button and turn the back dial to go back to changing iso manually.
06-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow. That was easy! Thanks for the reply. I better read my manual again!
06-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Hehe, glad i could help, enjoy

06-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also set the auto ISO range through the menu system - Shooting menu 3: ISO Sensitivity AUTO Setting if you want to limit the range that auto ISO will be set
06-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or just press ISO button once (it goes into ISO selection mode on display) then press Green button. I'm not in to holding buttons down and find this an easier alternative for me.
06-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've just remembered that one can set the auto ISO range (among many other things via the rear LCD by pressing the "Info" button twice and using the front and rear control wheels. There's so many ways of changing settings with the K-5. I'm still learning, and I've had it 18 months.

06-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

You can also program one of your e-dials to adjust ISO, with green button auto-ISO. See camera menu 5 > E-Dial Programming.
01-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #9

Thanks for replies
02-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Related question: Is there any way to permanently disable Auto-Iso on the K5ii? For instance, I usually shoot in AV or TV mode and the camera seems to be set by default to auto-adjust the ISO instead of the shutter/aperature. I know I can manually adjust the ISO, by pushing the ISO button, but I want to disable the auto-iso feature such that if I have a given ISO value selected, it stays constant unless I elect to change it.
02-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Related question: Is there any way to permanently disable Auto-Iso on the K5ii? For instance, I usually shoot in AV or TV mode and the camera seems to be set by default to auto-adjust the ISO instead of the shutter/aperature. I know I can manually adjust the ISO, by pushing the ISO button, but I want to disable the auto-iso feature such that if I have a given ISO value selected, it stays constant unless I elect to change it.
I've had my K5IIs for less than 24 hours and this is the first thing I have noticed. I too would like to permanently disable the auto ISO. I suppose that I am used to how I have been using my K10, and old ways die hard.

And I really feel I would prefer to have total control over many of the settings

As I mentioned in another thread, the manual is very cryptic, and with 336 pages it is going to take some time to wade through it. I suppose having a stickied thread with a sort of quick reference guide might be nice, but how do you condense 336 pages into a single post?
02-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Hi, have you tried the e-dial customisation options? I have my camera's set so that in AV mode the rear dial controls the aperture and the front dial controls the ISO and for TV mode the front dial controls the shutter speed and the rear dial, the ISO. This way the ISO does not default to 'auto'. I can get auto ISO by pressing the green button from either mode.

Last edited by wizofoz; 02-20-2014 at 01:40 AM.
02-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Hi, have you tried the e-dial customisation options? I have my camera's set so that in AV mode the rear dial controls the aperture and the front dial controls the ISO and for TV mode the front dial controls the shutter speed and the rear dial, the ISO. This way the ISO does not default to 'auto'. I can get auto ISO by pressing the green button from either mode.
Thanks
02-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've had my K5IIs for less than 24 hours and this is the first thing I have noticed. I too would like to permanently disable the auto ISO. I suppose that I am used to how I have been using my K10, and old ways die hard.

And I really feel I would prefer to have total control over many of the settings

As I mentioned in another thread, the manual is very cryptic, and with 336 pages it is going to take some time to wade through it. I suppose having a stickied thread with a sort of quick reference guide might be nice, but how do you condense 336 pages into a single post?
Firstly, you have to be in a shooting mode that allows a fixed ISO to be relevant (Av is a good example). Go into the menu system, look for "Memory" and then put a check mark next to the "Sensitivity" line. That should hold the ISO setting through power off and power on cycles (in Av mode in this case).
02-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Firstly, you have to be in a shooting mode that allows a fixed ISO to be relevant (Av is a good example). Go into the menu system, look for "Memory" and then put a check mark next to the "Sensitivity" line. That should hold the ISO setting through power off and power on cycles (in Av mode in this case).

Thanks.

I have noticed that many of the settings I was accustomed to with the K10 are accessed in a different way with the K5IIs, and are, as you point out, "mode" dependent.

*sigh*

The (re)learning process continues!