Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #1

Black and White Pictures

On the K5ii how do you take pictures in Black&White?

06-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Color settings - B&W?
06-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nickster42m Quote
On the K5ii how do you take pictures in Black&White?
You can apply the Mononochrome filter in-camera (search 'monochrome' in the PDF manual). But it's better to convert a color-photo to B&W afterwards in an editor. Use the Channel Mixer tool for that.
See also the B&W section on this forum.
Black and White Photography - PentaxForums.com
06-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before you do B&W via the camera consider the following.
Lightroom and there are probably other programs as well is brilliant at turning your colour images into B&W. The reason is that you can manipulate the colours and immediately see the changes in B&W. You can fine tune your final image. Back in the film days we had colour filters for enhancing B&W. This way the colour filter is used after the photo is taken. So from my point of view using this setup replicates B&W photography better if you don't have a handful of colour filters with you.

06-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

I like the Black&White plugin from Topaz Labs...which I use with PS Elements. Relatively cheap price and to date updates have been free. It is very easy to use. I am sure others can give you advice on their favorites. Point is: post processing to B&W is easy and economical.
07-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Inactive Account

In the shooting mode, you can push "right" navigation button. than you can choose a lot of filters and also custom settings. you can also choose color filter for your taste / for your scene and adjust sharpness and contrast.

Tip for you: you can create a user preset and than you can map BW filter to this preset (Since they would be sort of snapshots for me, I even decrease to 10MP/6MP). I'm still shooting film (nowadays rarely BW) and i found it quite useful. I make bit more contrast to have little bit HP5 effect. So in the end when you change the preset you'll just have your BW filtered photos, voila! It's better to try every option and you can compare them for your favorite effects.

It seem like everybody wanted to give advices instead of explaining how you can do it; maybe not everybody asking for "perfect" black+white shot or not everybody wants to spend valuable time on PC...