Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
OP, it also goes without saying that before you begin your big trip, you should do a test drive of your setup and equipment, involving maybe an hour or two driving along various road surfaces, to check that everything is working (camera, laptop, camera mount etc) and that there are no un-expected hardware or performance or optical glitches with your setup.
I got my mount today, and I have to say I'm impressed,

Don't get the cheap mounts on Ebay, I suggest spending 20 dollars and getting a nice one on Amazon,

it's definitely worth it.

I don't think I'm going to do long exposures at night

And I'm kind of worried I'll have to keep adjusting it as I go along,

I was warned in the past articles that I read about having the aperture change while you drove in order to compensate for the light difference,

Within the directions for the astronomy photography the guy mentioned (http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?165487-Pentax-Time-Lapse-...02#post1859802) about ISO settings being high,

And I suppose I could just do an overall high ISO or turn it up at least at night,

I'd like to get good still photos, and I won't be going 100 miles an hr,

I've kind of figured 250 would be a good shutter speed, but I haven't tried it yet,

But I will here tonight I think... I do have to wait longer tho, because we're in Alaska summer right now!

Which, ironically now that I think of it, will be very beneficial in the light factor!

Maybe I could leave as early in the morning as possible possibly, Who knows!

I will also say the 128GB card I bought is a godsend, and I'm SO glad I got it,

I would say if you can afford one get it. If I could, I would have multiple, but maybe some day...

Last edited by ajzimmerman; 06-07-2013 at 06:50 PM.
06-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No. The K-5 has a built-in 'Interval Shooting" capability. You don't need any other accessory. You can set various intervals between shots etc. The settings are under Record Mode 2 > "Interval Shooting" in the K-5 menu and P-152 of the K-5 manual describes how to set it up and what it does.
Thanl you very very much you guy or very nice i love this site averybody is so nice
06-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
My concern with your plan is powering the camera. I would recommend external power - test an AC adapter for your camera using an 12vdc to 120vac inverter. Some combinations aren't compatible.
06-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #19

Original Poster
I found that the power adapter I bought for my car is only to charge the battery,

So I have to swap batteries every once in awhile I guess.

Check out my test run from Anchorage to Eagle River

This video was 1 sec intervals at 16MP. Used a little over 1000 shots, and about 2 GB of space.
I did 100 ISO. It looks nice in sunlight this way, last evening the High ISO shots filled up my card to 22GB.

I like doing 1 sec intervals, so I was thinking I'd driving from Anchorage to Tok, or Whitehorse,

Take a break and import all the photos. I've done the math, and it looks like with 10MP pictures 22GB of which equaled about 90MB of video, so I think I'm just going to do 16MP pics.

The K5 held up really nicely with all the run throughs. It's pretty amazing how fast you go through 999 shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
My concern with your plan is powering the camera. I would recommend external power - test an AC adapter for your camera using an 12vdc to 120vac inverter. Some combinations aren't compatible.
I'm trying to find a power adapter, but I cannot find one.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/159755-pentax-k-ac84-ac-adapte...atibility.html

I looked on ebay and couldn't find it. I would have ordered it if I had. Right now I just have the charger for the batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=Pen...at=0&_from=R40

And I found the one on Amazon but it wasn't available.

Last edited by ajzimmerman; 06-08-2013 at 01:04 PM.
06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A buddy of mine did this when travelling from Ohio to Seattle. I don't recall what his shot interval was, but I think every 5 sec seems a bit quicker than his. He was using some sort of bridge camera. It was really pretty cool, even if he didn't get to stop and visit us for breakfast on his way through.
06-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #21

Original Poster
I ended up not doing it,

My camera never came in, and I had a slew of other things get in my way, but maybe next time!

I plan on making the trip here again in another 1.5 months.

This time I won't take the route through Edmonton (which was seriously the worst drive of my life)...

Regards,

Andrew
06-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajzimmerman Quote
I don't think I'm going to do long exposures at night.
What? Oh come on! You can get some really interesting shots at night while moving.

Long exposures with low ISO:

Or maybe bit shorter with higher ISO:

Note the speed on the speedometer. About 70mph. I'd be running faster, but I get extra pay for keeping my maximum speed under 70. The truck will roll out at around 95 or so, and when I'm running in high speed states like Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska, New Mexico, Arizona, Kansas, Colorado, North and South Dakota, and Texas, I can cover a lot of ground making the most of that high end maximum.

But more money on my paycheck always wins out over more miles covered in 11 hours in the saddle.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-16-2013 at 02:51 PM.