Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

K-5 DIY Repair Help

Hello all,

I'm back. As I moved around a bit for jobs I haven't been an active member for a few years. I forgot my username and password from before and my email address has also changed so I re-registered as a new member. Now I need some help.

I needed to take some photos of some parts I made in the past on CNC machining centers to show to a potential new employer. So I got out my K-5 and put it on my Manfrotto tripod and though the 100mm Macro lens I have would be the best choice to get some close details of the part. I had the part on my bed with a white sheet for the background. Unfortunately the bed was too high to get a good shot of the part so I decided to take the white top sheet and place on the floor in the living room to use with the same lens.

Unfortunately the ceiling fan was on and I forgot. When I picked up the camera tripod I smacked the top of the camera into the fan blade. It cracked the plastic viewfinder shroud holder and also broke off the slide for the viewfinder focus adjustment. I found the plastic shroud holder and rubber shroud. The holder was cracked and the slide is no where to be found. perhaps it bounced behind the cabinet all my stereo equipment is on or its behind the oak chest of drawers.

I have a K10D and at first thought I'd be able to remove the viewfinder outer case by removing the two small screws. After doing so I realized they are not identical parts and there is more to fixing the camera that just removing the two screws. I suppose the best option is to either bring it to a camera shop that services Pentax cameras or ship the camera to Pentax and have them repair the camera.

Since I'm currently unemployed I was hoping I could save some money by doing the repair myself. I'm a manufacturing engineer and can fix or build or make a lot of things which is why I thought I could do the repair myself.

Are there service manuals available for Pentax cameras?

If not can someone give me a ballpark figure for how much the parts and service will cost?

I'm wondering if this can me covered under my renters insurance since I'm renting where I'm living and not in my house I have in Charlotte, NC.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Blake

06-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Parts to replace would be cheap. Labor is going to be the killer. Is the camera unusable? If not, just "Deal with it". If you're really adept at working with small parts though, I'm sure your imagination will be a better source for insight than this forum.

I don't think Renters insurance would cover accidental damages to consumer electronics, either, by the way.
06-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
I don't want to 'deal with it'. I'd like to fix it. I can work on things of all sizes. Are there service manuals or at lease exploded assembly views available somewhere?
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try contacting Pentax parts and describing what is broke and ask for part numbers and a price. I've never seen part lists or exploded drawings for any modern camera. You can occasionally find them for old film cameras and I assume they come from closed shops or were otherwise released into the wild. AFAIK Pentax has never published the repair manuals officially.

06-07-2013, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Repair manuals for the older Pentax DSLR cameras is here, which may be a help.
06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Repair manuals for the older Pentax DSLR cameras is here, which may be a help.
No idea if that will help the OP but it was quite an education looking through the 10d manual. Thanks for posting it.
06-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry for my reply to the first person that offered help. I broke the camera about an hour before logging in and asking for help. I was still angry at myself for doing something stupid like I did. On top of that I kind of obsessive about having nice stuff.

In the mean time I search the Internet and found out I can call customer service for help. Additionally I found a web site that has service manuals for the K10D. From looking at both side by side they are somewhat similar. I browsed through the service manual quickly. From what I think I saw disassembly and assembly look pretty close.

I'm going to search for the viewfinder diopter adjustment slide. To me it looks like it may have just been pried out. The plastic frame for the rubber viewfinder shroud also cracked. If I cracked or stressed the viewfinder diopter I ay be able to get a new one and pop it back in. If not I can disassembly part of the housing to replace it....which may mean also needing new gaskets.

I imagine the cost of the parts that need to be replaced are probably not expensive. It's just a tater of being careful about losing tiny pieces. I find that working with small things go better when working with the part inside a box. I have somewhat shallow clear plastic Rubbermaid containers that work well for tasks like that.

Of course...since the camera is relatively new I may just have Pentax service it. ...even if it is kind of pricey. That way it's repaired correctly and since I see a new model may be out soon it might be time to upgrade.

Thank you and again I apologize for my initial rant....Blake

06-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Welp...I happened to find the viewfinder diopter adjustment slide. Sure enough the tab that fits into the slot is broken off. I'm not sure if when the tab did break off it fell inside the camera or fell off outside the camera. That tab is so small finding that is virtually impossible unless I was a CSI expert trained to find proverbial needles in haystacks. I think it probably snaps into place during assembly but I will call customer service to confirm how it installs. Hopefully it doesn't require disassembly of the body. Quite frankly I'm surprised I found the slide. It was way on the opposite side of the room...no where close to where the ceiling fan is. I guess when slide hit fan blade it became a projectile and where it stopped I was lucky to find. I'll keep everyone in the loop just in case it happens to happen to someone else....Blake
06-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a thread from last year, has a link to K7 parts list. Should be almost identical to K5.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200897-k7-parts-diagram.html
06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Here is a thread from last year, has a link to K7 parts list. Should be almost identical to K5.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200897-k7-parts-diagram.html
Thank you. I found something similar for the K10D but the images weren't good and it didn't include a Bill of Material. The BOM helps a lot.
Blake
06-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with the repair.

Cheers.
Mike.
06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
I put a call n to Pentax and got voicemail. I'm waiting for a return call. In the meantime can someone here by chance tell me if the Viewfinder Diopter Slide snap into place through the slot or does the camera need to be disassembled? The Service List with the exploded views makes it more complicated than I think it needs to be.