Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Front focus with Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC

For my Pentax K-5 I have bought a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC. Now I seem to have come across an issue regarding focusing. When I use any other focus point than the middle one, the camera suffers from severe front focus. This problem does not show up my two kit-lenses.

Is this a known issue? If so, is it a problem with the lens or the camera?

Thanks in advance.

06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah somewhat known issue with fast lenses.
There are two reasons, one is the field is often pretty curved.
And the AF works with the lens wide open and at f/1.4 no lenses is highly "corrected" think about chromatic aberation and such that cna throw the focus off.

The lens is for the rest pretty sharp and not "wonky" with his dpeth of field?
06-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yeah somewhat known issue with fast lenses.
There are two reasons, one is the field is often pretty curved.
And the AF works with the lens wide open and at f/1.4 no lenses is highly "corrected" think about chromatic aberation and such that cna throw the focus off.

The lens is for the rest pretty sharp and not "wonky" with his dpeth of field?
Well, yes. Other than the issue I have described I am have been quite satisfied with the lens.
06-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Nesavi. Had the same problem with this lens on my K10D. Sent it to Sigma Germany together with the cam, they adjust it for free during the warranty period. The combo came back perfectly. Before you send it in I'd recommend you to try out a test chart with f1.4 and minimum focus.