06-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
lol tuco !

06-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5II or IIs may solve many of your concerns. Same size and weight as your old K-5 but seriously better low light performance in my experience having owned a K-5 and now a K-5IIs.
06-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For hiking, why not look into a backpack? I use an Amazon pack which costs all of $30.00. AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories-Black It accomodates my K 5 and a couple lenses, including a Tokina 80 200 f2.8 manual focus zoom. With a backpack no worry about banging the camera into a boulder. And if the Amazon pack doesn't suit you it was so little money.
06-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

-- I just don't see anything in Nikon's lineup that matches up well against the FA limiteds or the DA 15.
You must be thinking in terms of APS-C on those lenses. How well do those Limited's and DA15 work on a FF DSLR? Seriously, I don't know. I image someone has put them on a FF Canon or something to find out.

If you want a light backpacking camera, why bother with a big, heavy K5 when you can optionally use a mirrorless.

06-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You must be thinking in terms of APS-C on those lenses. How well do those Limited's and DA15 work on a FF DSLR? Seriously, I don't know. I image someone has put them on a FF Canon or something to find out.
My meaning was with regard to size, flare resistance (obviously on an APS-C camera). The OP stated that he struggles (a) with size of full frame (b) with ergonomics of Nikon cameras and (c) with getting colors that he was used to when shooting Nikon. It feels to me like he has made up his own mind that he wants an APS-C camera with small-ish lenses and that it won't be Nikon. But maybe I am reading too much into his posts.
06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Seriously considering downgrading from the D800 back to the K5 and the small limiteds
I tried a lent/borrowed Nikon D700 for awhile from a pro photog friend. Loved it.

Broke my neck, arms, back, and stride.

I found myself reaching for the thing for an event as simple as photos of the kids paying in the pool last summer....and somehow I would always hesitate and equivocate because, even though it has swift, intuitive pro controls, it was just too bulky. It's just not an easy camera to grab and shoot. I've tried the D600 and it's still a large beast relatively speaking.

I'm now getting all DA Ltd primes and sticking with my K-x precisely because of the size/weight issue. I am contemplating adding a K-30+18-135 for backup outdoor stuff. As far as I am concerned FF is a tripod or short trip beast. It's way overkill to carry that on a simple outing or too the fair or a kid's birthday party. My "real" FF cameras are film, including a super-light (comparatively) MZ-6.
06-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My meaning was with regard to size, flare resistance (obviously on an APS-C camera). The OP stated that he struggles (a) with size of full frame (b) with ergonomics of Nikon cameras and (c) with getting colors that he was used to when shooting Nikon. It feels to me like he has made up his own mind that he wants an APS-C camera with small-ish lenses and that it won't be Nikon. But maybe I am reading too much into his posts.
My 20/2.8D, 24/2.8D, 50/1.4D and 85/1.8D Nikon lenses are just as small, if not smaller, than any of my Pentax lenses. And they perform well on a FF Nikon.

06-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

For many years I used a Pentax 6X7 system for landscape photography. You gotta suffer if you want great images.
06-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
For many years I used a Pentax 6X7 system for landscape photography. You gotta suffer if you want great images.
I really really hate suffering....
06-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Most people I know(including myself) don't sling DSLR's around their necks while hiking.

I do, but instead of slinging it around my neck I use a B Grip EVO belt holster
Works like a charm.
06-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Forum Member

If it was a D600, I'd want to trade with you
06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I handled the D600. It felt big compared to my K5. The guy with the D600 was quite impressed with my K5 too.
06-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
For hiking, why not look into a backpack? I use an Amazon pack which costs all of $30.00. AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories-Black It accomodates my K 5 and a couple lenses, including a Tokina 80 200 f2.8 manual focus zoom. With a backpack no worry about banging the camera into a boulder. And if the Amazon pack doesn't suit you it was so little money.
Man, that's WAY cheaper than the Lowepro Mini Trekker that I bought about 12 years ago! (I think I paid 4-5 times as much!)
Maybe a small step down in quality, but looks like it has most of the same features.
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

At work I shoot with Nikon D7000's (getting D600's in a couple weeks) and mostly FX zoom glass. In my personal DSLR photography I shoot Pentax and enjoy the DA Limited series along with a few zooms.

Unless you are printing very large prints or cropping images significantly on a regular basis I would move on from the D800 to a lighter body and more compact system. If most of your work is web based or smaller prints there is simply no need for that kind of MP power. I have a buddy that does a lot of under water macro shooting. He crops his images a ton, so for him it's worth it....but every time we are out shooting around town he mentions the weight size of his system. Sometimes there is a good reason for the extra weight, you can't have look/feel of a Pentax 6x7, Hasselblad, pano MF camera ect....

Like Tuco said, you could try the Nikon primes on for size, Im sure the IQ will be great..... but from you initial post it didn't sound like you were real happy with the company as a whole. I have loved shooting Pentax DSLR's, really enjoy the glass, and adding my work into the forums here. I say get a K5iis with the primes you mentioned, then you still have money left over for a another lightweight body like a Fuji....I love my X100.

Whatever you end up doing, hope you find a system that works for you.
06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You're shooting with those big zooms, right? Put on some primes. If you are saying a D800 with primes still is the straw that breaks the camel's back, then I fear the K-5 will not save you either.

I haul around my medium format film cameras on long hikes. Don't complain.
Good points. I've looked into moving to small primes with the 800 but I keep thinking about the limiteds.

I think part of it too is that I'll be sending in my 24-70 for warranty work after 4 months of ownership. The 16-35 I had was defective as well, so I think I'm just sick of Nikon and wanting a brand switch to be completely honest. $1k+ equipment should hold up a little better IMO.