Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Image green in dark room?...

Hello,
I recently got a k-5. I've become fairly familiar with it but Im no expert!

I tried taking an image in the dark with it and the image is green, any ideas why?
Tried manual and AF lenses and the image is green in both picture and video mode, tried adjusting the WB to no avail, the light in reality is white to the eye, any idea what could be causing this?? Thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's the cameras focus assist light that comes on it dark situations. It's a green led, hence the green colouring.
06-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The focus assist light should turn off during the actual shot.

There had to be SOME light in the room. What was its source? Fluorescent? LED? And I am guessing that you didn't have your camera set to AWB.

As for why it looked 'white' to you, your brain has the built-in equivalent of AWB and auto-ISO - - - and there is no way to shut it off. In short, your brain regularly lies to you about what you see. It is also why I have become a BIG advocate for hardware based monitor calibration versus software based using my eyes to compare a bunch of charts.

For what it is worth .... a couple months ago I replaced the incandescent bulb in a night light with a green LED bulb. If I get up during the night, so long as I didn't look directly at the light bulb, it was amazing how the dim room lighting seems to be close to full spectrum.
06-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I know my K-30 behaves totally different AWB wise with old MF lenses compared to newer AF lenses and it's safest to use preset WB to match the lighting, but yours does seem rather extreme to say the least!

06-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I know my K-30 behaves totally different AWB wise with old MF lenses compared to newer AF lenses and it's safest to use preset WB to match the lighting, but yours does seem rather extreme to say the least!
Thanks for the input guys, the assist light comes off during the shot that is correct. My guess is that it must be the lighting, the bulbs outside are HID older style that run off of ballasts that hum, so it might be a wavelength the camera sees as green, as the video itself was COMPLETELY green like night vision green yet it was bright to the eye, thanks everyone
06-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #6

Original Poster
Also, I did leave AWB on, as well as all the other preset white balances, and it still remained green