Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emtor Quote
I've just upgraded from K20d to K5+ SMC 50mm f 1.7 manual lens.
It's a wonderful combo,-perfectly suitable for portraits.
The pic below was shot with the lens wide open and the K5 at 400 ISO and with highlight protection on.
Note the highlighted area at on the left side of the face. With the K20d this area
would have been pretty much burned out. Not so with the K5.
A wonderful camera indeed.
Very nice portrait emtor. I also find the high dynamic range of K5 suitable for experimenting with high key image, because the highlight protection is pretty useful.

06-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #17

Where is HL protection on K-5? I seeked menus throughout many times and I don't find it.
06-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alspe Quote
Where is HL protection on K-5? I seeked menus throughout many times and I don't find it.
Menu ---> D-range setting (page 3) ---> choose "Highlight Correction".
07-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by emtor Quote
Menu ---> D-range setting (page 3) ---> choose "Highlight Correction".
Yes, I found and tried it. It certainly protects highlight by under exposing about 1,5 EV's That's quite much, if you normally try to expose to the right as much as you can, without over exposing anything.

07-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I also agree that the K20D would not have blown the highlights.
I also agree. This shot is not challenging for any decent camera, K20D included. In fact, the area you refer to is in no way a highlight; it's several zones below white.

But I'm glad you are getting the shots you want!
07-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alspe Quote
Yes, I found and tried it. It certainly protects highlight by under exposing about 1,5 EV's That's quite much, if you normally try to expose to the right as much as you can, without over exposing anything.
Actually 1 EV, just like all Pentax cameras and others as far as I know. You lose the base stop of ISO. The shot is taken at one stop of higher ISO than needed, and the lows are boosted one stop using a tone curve. The highs are not boosted.
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Actually 1 EV, just like all Pentax cameras and others as far as I know. You lose the base stop of ISO. The shot is taken at one stop of higher ISO than needed, and the lows are boosted one stop using a tone curve. The highs are not boosted.
Ok. I have to try it again for shooting landscapes and otherwise shooting ~ -0,7 EV manually. Pictures that I took (indoors), were almost -2 EV underexposed.

07-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good looking lady BUT I think I recognise the typical 'look' of the long suffering wife/girlfriend/partner of an amateur photographer............
07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
Inactive Account

K5 have more price-quality ratio indeed. In China, Pentax K5 in $933. all-metal fuselage is necessary to me.
You know, in same price, you can only buy Canon 700D & Nikon D90.