Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 issues at event

As the title may suggest, I had some issues with my K5 today at an outdoor event. I had been out for several hours, and suddenly, I noticed whenever I went to change the AF point, it kept bringing me to the menu of whatever button I was pressing, even though I had selective AF set. That was issue number one that I had today, the next issue I had was I was in continuous shoot mode (Hi) and as I was shooting suddenly the mirror locked up, and the shutter stays open for some reason, so I turned off the body, which did nothing for me, I proceeded to taking out the memory card. Which also did nothing, so I ended up taking off the battery grip and removing the battery from the body and replacing it. Everything starts working all fine and dandy again. Which takes us to issue number 3; the battery reading full one second, and then saying it's empty the next. But when it does this the top LCD screen stays on, but I cannot do anything, It stays on even if the power switch is turned off. Again, I had to remove the battery, this time I switched the one in the body out for the one in the grip, and that fixed that up. But then another thing occured... Yes, this is issue number 4 of the day.. Whenever the playback was on the screen, it would flicker around the corners and edges of the screen for some reason, it did this for nearly two (2) hours. But then seemed fine when I looked at the playback later.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has had any of these issues, how they fixed it, or if I should just send it back to Pentax (I am still under warranty).

Here are the weather conditions for the day: Partly cloudy, 90* no wind, high humidity (around 73%).

06-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very funny, I was lying in bed thinking last night about this very issue (the selective focus thing)... and last night in bed, I remembered the whole sequence. Sometimes we fix it by turning the camera off, setting it to selective focus and turning it back on again. Fortunately I picked up my camera and it was doing exactly what you describe. I had my Sigma 70 on the camera with selective focus on, and it doesn't work with Sigma lenses, so when I put my FA 50 on it seems to have forgotten how to use selective focus. I just turned the focus switch up to centre focus and back down to selective focus and it worked again. As for the other issues, I'd have Pentax check out the camera. I've never experienced anything like that,
06-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #3

Try keeping the OK button pressed for a few seconds when you're in selective AF mode. It switches from the normal 4-way menu functions (WB, Flash, Colour response, Shooting mode) to the AF points selector. You'll see an icon in the lower left corner of the viewfinder for the latter. Doesn't work with M42 lenses, though.

Sorry but can't help you with the other issues.
06-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hooverfocus has got it, and you can set it to beep when toggling between the two modes...

06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hoover is right, just hold the OK button to switch between menu buttons of focus point.

The locking up thing is a bit annoying but I got it too. AF-C with Hi seems to be the worst possible combo and with the battery grip on removing the batteries are a hassle. I found that removing the lens instead while having the camera of often slaps the mirror down again too. It's way quicker to try out instead of removing the grip.
06-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
... AF-C with Hi seems to be the worst possible combo and with the battery grip on removing the batteries are a hassle. I found that removing the lens instead while having the camera of often slaps the mirror down again too. It's way quicker to try out instead of removing the grip.
I was shooting AF-C in Hi mode. Haha, however I did try removing the lens and it did not seem to do anything for me. I have never had such issues; and so far it has only happened with my DA* 300 on there.. I have however had it freeze up on me a few times where unless I take the battery out, it won't do anything but leaves the top LCD screen on.

I think I may have to send it back to Pentax to have it looked over. On a side note, is there a way to make it beep whenever I change the AF point?
Thanks for all the help!
06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. I had my Sigma 70 on the camera with selective focus on, and it doesn't work with Sigma lenses, ...
???

Never heard this before.

Selective focus works with all my Sigma lenses. Including the 70/2.8 Macro EX.

06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I ended up taking off the battery grip
Was it a third-party grip?
06-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Was it a third-party grip?
I can speak for me at least and I use a genuine grip but still face the bug.
06-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I too use a genuine Pentax grip, and 1 Pentax battery that came with the camera, and a third party battery made by Pearstone.
06-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every now and then I forget to turn the grip off when I go back to landscape view, and my little finger makes my K10 go nuts because it brushes the shutter button on the grip. .
06-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the mirror lock up issue, basically you need to send the camera back. With me it kept getting worse. My experience was that you do not have to remove the batteries to get the camera to turn off. I had the problem too and I found that if I waited sometimes up to 15 seconds or so after I had switched the camera off, it finally turned off. 15 seconds is a long time. But if it happens again try turning the camera off and waiting, it's much easier than removing the batteries. When I finally gave up and sent it in, it took about 3 weeks and they replaced the main board.

NaCl(good luck)H2O
06-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I had a few of these issues [freezing, battery says its depleted when it wasnt etc] over a year ago, sent it to Pentax and they changed something in the camera and its been fine since. I think it too about 2-3 weeks to get it back.