Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just ordered my K-5ii...

So after months and months and years of thought and planning and reading and studying and working and scrimping and saving, I finally was able to pull the trigger on my camera upgrade this morning. About 10 min. ago in fact.

Currently, I'm shooting with a K200D, my first and only dslr, with a Sigma 17-70 DC and a Tamron 70-300. In anticipation of a family trip to Disneyworld in August, I wanted to upgrade to the K-5ii. Think I'll notice an improvement?

I bought a bundle with the DA 18-135 lens, which I figure will be a good walk-around lens at DW. I also got a Clik Elite Probody sport backpack to carry my gear and a few other odds and ends (extra battery, 2 32G sdhc cards, a UV filter, some other stuff).

I'm currently selling my Sigma 17-70 on ebay, and if it sells for at least $250, I'll purchase the DA 50mm prime. I currently have an M 50mm 1.7, and it's not too shabby. I don't mind the manual focus as much as I mind the manual aperture. And I'm hoping to "do" some street photography in southern Utah and Vegas.

Can. NOT. Wait.

06-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
In anticipation of a family trip to Disneyworld in August, I wanted to upgrade to the K-5ii.
Congrats, and my condolences!
Congrats on the K5!
My condolences for Florida in August as a humid hell.

Why on Earth would anyone go to Disney in August!?!

Living here, and in the throes of Summer, makes me a "Florida Vampire".
No one in Florida goes outside in August during the hours of 11:30am - 3:30pm.
During those hours, we stay inside, in our dark-air-conditioned spaces. Our shades and blinds are closed so that the radiant heat doesn't make it inside and heat up our homes.

06-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ha! I grew up in Houston, so I know heat and humidity. I'm not too happy about going in Aug. Originally, we wanted to go in Dec., around xmas, but that didn't work out.

I'm just trying to maintain perspective. We have 4 kids, ages 16-9, so they're able to walk and do stuff. So thank goodness I'm not also having to push a stroller. My only goal is to keep a smile on my face and not walk too fast. And not get too wound-up or stressed. This is my wife's trip, essentially, so I don't care what we do or what we see. I'm there to have fun, etc. The main reason why I settled on the Clik Elite bp was because it can hold a bladder, so I'm just filling that up and staying hydrated with a smile on my face. Serenity NOW! Wish me luck.

I could mention we live in southern Utah right now, a climate similar to Vegas and Phoenix. We'll be in the 110's through next week, which should make for a lovely 4th of July. It may be a dry heat, but it's hot, so we're kinda "used" to it, though I don't think anyone ever gets accustomed to such heat.
06-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The joy of new gear. Have fun. you'll love the K-5II tell us how's the experience with it maybe after you've fondled and played with it. Cheers.

07-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
It's out for delivery today. Can't wait. Should have it around 4-8pm. So excited. Took some shots with the K200D, which I'll pass down to my 16 y.o. daughter: she's taking an advanced photog class at her high school this year, focusing on studio work I think. The K200D should serve her well. Got an M 50 1.7 which I'll leave attached to the K200D. She should have fun with that. Come on big brown (UPS).
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #6

Congratulations to you, and me!

I ordered the same kit (K-5 II + 18 - 135 lens) and it just arrived today.
Still reading the manual, but compared to my K-x this "bad boy" feels like a solid chunk of granite .

Coincidentally, I plan to give my K-x to my daughter!
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You guys are making me so jealous!

I've been using an *ist DL for the past two years (my first DSLR) and it has served me well.

I'm coming into some money at the end of this month, so I thought I should spoil myself and get a K-5II and 18-135mm combo.

The waiting is driving me crazy!

07-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Camera came in...battery charging. It's coming to work with me tomorrow.
07-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #9

Hey, enjoy the 5 and Disney. The easy solution for your trip is you go to the theme parks in the AM and see the sites, then about 11 or 12, you get lunch and go to a water park till dinner. Eat and go back to the theme parks for the evening. Great way to see the parks and stay relatively cool. Have fun and remember to take a picture or two.... ;-)