Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

ISO limited to 160, not 80 in expanded.

I updated the firmware for my K5 trying to fix this. Apparently I some how set my lower limit ISO to 160. Even when I chose C-1, Expanded Sensitivity, 2 (on); which should set the ISO to 80-51200, I cannot set ISO to less than 160, even though it should be 80. When I chose off, my lower ISO is then limited to 200, instead of 100. I must have some other setting messed up, but I cannot find where. Any ideas?

I have had this camera for 2 years and love it, but this one has me stumped because I know that at one time it did work correctly. Thanks for any help.

07-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try turning off the highlight correction, and turning off auto ISO.
07-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, worked as advertised. I just turned on highlight correction yesterday to experiment a bit, did not connect the two.

Wayne
07-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
Thank you, worked as advertised. I just turned on highlight correction yesterday to experiment a bit, did not connect the two.

Wayne
Been there, done that. Obviously.

07-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Try turning off the highlight correction, and turning off auto ISO.
How does Auto ISO affect it?
07-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
The only way auto ISO would affect it, would be if the user set the range manually.
I assumed (correctly) the fix would be in the highlight correction setting as most people play with that, and if not, the user would find out that he/she had set the range manually.

Sometimes it takes too much time/effort to explain everything, and mental shortcuts help the user find their own answers (sometimes).

07-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
With Highlight Protection, the camera captures the image with one stop underexposure and it does that by clandestinely halving the ISO and then boosting the JPEG image in camera (other than the highlights it's trying to suppress). Therefore, with Highlight Protection on, you can't set the ISO to less than 2X the lower limit otherwise the HP procedure wouldn't work.

Important note -- Highlight Protection is a JPEG function so if you're shooting RAW, it doesn't make sense to turn it on and end up with underexposed images.

07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
That makes sense, thanks.
07-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Important note -- Highlight Protection is a JPEG function so if you're shooting RAW, it doesn't make sense to turn it on and end up with underexposed images.
Sorry for barging in like this, but could we get some clarification on this? The last time Highlight Protection was discussed it was said that HP also affected RAW.
And I can't help believing this, due to two things: a) the RAWs are fine even with HP on (and seem to have a bit more DR), and b) Pentax would have no problem tweaking RAWs (like NR above ISO 3200).
07-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Sorry for barging in like this, but could we get some clarification on this? The last time Highlight Protection was discussed it was said that HP also affected RAW.
And I can't help believing this, due to two things: a) the RAWs are fine even with HP on (and seem to have a bit more DR), and b) Pentax would have no problem tweaking RAWs (like NR above ISO 3200).
The RAWs really are underexposed by one stop (just checked it again taking two shots... one with HP on and one with it off). It shows up in any image editing app that doesn't detect the tag for highlight protection, signaling it to boost exposure by one stop.

When trying to learn more about HP not too long ago, I found a discussion about Canon's implementation which appears to be identical to Pentax's. It was rather emphatically claimed there that HP doesn't accomplish anything in RAW images, only JPEGs, that you can't do yourself by just underexposing and then manipulating in PP.