Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Limited Lens of Choice

would like to get an advise about the limited lens. would be planning to at least save for one limited in my arsenal. what would be the best lens that anyone can suggest... in terms of the flexibility of application.- I assume sharpness would not be an issue among the limited. am reading good ones about the FA 77mm and FA 31mm limited,,, does it always boils down to how much field of view you want?.

if you can only get one limited (regardless of price) what would you get and why?

thank you

Last edited by ejaedon; 07-12-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: identify lens as FA
07-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are all excellent, so a preferred focal length should be your guide. With options from 15 to 77mm that's a lot of range! I began with the relative-bargain DA40, but later managed to pick up a DA70. Both are very nice; the 70 may be the better lens overall but the 40 is very nearly as good and fits me better.

I've not tried an FA Limited, but it's probably not something I can afford to try right now!
07-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ejaedon Quote
if you can only get one limited (regardless of price) what would you get and why?
It's a little like potato chips - you can't take just one. I tried and started with the DA15, but quickly had to get the 40, then the 70, and recently the 21. Each one is excellent and useful for something different.
07-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses do you already have? That information would make offering advice a lot easier.

Of the DA limiteds, the 21 is firming as my favourite. The field of view is just right for general walk-around use. It is tiny, sharp, close focussing and renders colours beautifully.
The 15 is more of a specialty lens, but creates dramatic images and is just about the most flare-resistant lens around.
The 40 and 70 are excellent optically, but they didn't produce the same magic for me that the FA43 and FA77 do. I sold both recently as they were always bridesmaids to those great lenses. I also found the 40 a little *too* small for easy handling.

As for the FA limiteds, what can I say? If I had to spend the rest of my life with only one lens it would be the FA31; it provides a widish normal angle of view on APS-C and is sharp, fast, relatively compact for what it offers, has sublime bokeh and is a tactile delight.
The FA77 would be my second choice; its focal length is a little less versatile, but it's razor sharp even wide open, has paper-thin DOF if you need it, produces even better bokeh than the 31 and it's the prettiest lens Pentax makes. It renders the human face like no other.
It takes more time and effort to master he FA43; the bokeh can be a bit funky at times, especially with high contrast backgrounds, but when you get it right there is more pixie dust per cc in this little gem than any other.

Enjoy your journey. Try stopping at just one!

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with sandy..i have the 15, 31 and 77...I love all...absolutely adore the 77 but get more use out of the 31
07-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If only one... FA 77
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
Yos
Veteran Member

I am saving my money to the FA 77mm. It's a great lens that would be a great additional to my lens collection.
I would use it for portraits, flowers (not macro) and sometimes a "street" lens.
Lets see how many months it will take to save for it :P

07-12-2013, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ejaedon Quote
am reading good ones about the 77mm and 31mm limited,,, does it always boils down to how much field of view you want?.

thank you
Your two examples lean toward the FA series. However, I would get the 15 as I like wide and that is the widest Limited.

However, I bought the 15, 21, 40, and 70 at the same time because I did not want to second guess a purchase.

But yes, it normally boils down the the field of view you want, assuming certain fields of view are better for some applications.
07-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I could only have one I'd say that based off of what I've seen and read here the FA 31 would be it.
07-12-2013, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 31mm all the way. I have many lens, this is the one i use the most. it is virtually glued onto my camera.
07-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd advise you to spend some time looking through the FA Limited club and DA Limited clubs on this site. Make note of which lens gives the images you like most, buy that one. The siren song of the 15 called to me. Like many, I won't stop until I have them all.
07-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the resposes, it's been all informative. and yes am referring to the FA series limited.. I even forgot there's a DA and FA.. just got my K5 II and still getting some lenses... planning to get tamron 17-50 f2.8 and another telephoto lens at 70-300 hopefully the 2.8 version... and am planning to get the DA 50 1.8 but instead, thinking of just getting one limited FA.. that would land me either 77 or 31.... right now probably leaning toward 31 FA but let's see, will have a lot of time researching while saving for one.

I know 31 would be covered by the 17-50 but there's still the difference if you're using a prime lens. am i correct on that one? do we still need to consider the crop factor of the FA 31mm limited?--that would make it closer to 50, but either way I guess I would prefer the bigger field of view between 77 and 31 but who knows it might change along the way as I read more about the limiteds.
07-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of the DA's. I'd go with the 35 macro--it's just so versatile. Of the FA's, I'd take the 77--unparalleled for candid portraits.

But that's just me.
07-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
However, I bought the 15, 21, 40, and 70 at the same time because I did not want to second guess a purchase.
Absolutely fabulous. When I collected the FA limiteds I did not buy them all at the same time, but it was close. I started with the 77 and it was instantly my favorite. One month later I got the 43... And two weeks after that the 31. The problem with the FA limiteds is that you may think you can only afford one, but the second you own one you are all ready preparing o buy the next.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the FA limiteds. When I am shooting portraits, the 77 is my go to. I don't even think about any other lens. The lens that is always attached to one of my cameras is the 43. I love my 31, but it doesn't see as much use as the other two, but I shoot weddings. When I am working on landscapes I always go to it first.
07-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #15

I have five Limiteds (15,21,31,40,70) and all are great, the 31 is exceptional and if I could only have one, it wins hands down. But realistically, you will taste the forbidden fruit and will not be able to stop at one. The 15 borders on exceptional as well, the 21 is the best walk about lens for general purpose. The 40 and 70 fill their rolls well. I did have the 35 Limited but found I like the longer 100 for macro and the FA 31 is the better standard lens, as a result I do not miss it.