Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #1

ultra wide angle for K-5

what ultra wide angle would anyone recomend for my K-5, I'm currently looking at Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm (both f3.5 and f4-5.6) and Pentax 10-17mm. I would be using it for both landscape and for "impact" wide angle shots of just about anything.

all of your views are appreciated in the help for my decision.

K

07-22-2013, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #2

I use a Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and get results like this.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-22-2013, 03:04 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Fish

Hey,

The da 10-17mm is a great lens for what its worth. It easily doubles as a fish and wide zoom. Here's one at the wide 10mm.
Name:  IMGP6891.jpg
Views: 52139
Size:  514.5 KB
07-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think either the Sigma 8-16 or the Pentax DA 12-24 would be good. The Pentax 10-17 is a fish eye, so you get a little different perspective, but you would need to decide if you like that sort of look. The other lenses are rectilinear, so lines stay straight, they just lean.

07-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Or if you don't want to spend too much you could look at the Samyang lenses (they also go by other names such as Vivitar). I got the 14mm as a cheap way into UWA. They do an 8mm (which I believe is fisheye) and the 14mm is rectilinear.
07-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the suggestions are good. I think they all have their strengths.

I have a Sigma-10-20mm-f3-5-ex-dc-hsm and love it.
Was surprised to see a couple of negative reviews but I guess it really depends on the sort of shooting you do. For me I find the f3.5 very useful but it may not be so important for you of course.
20mm f3.5
10mm f8
07-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You need to decide whether you want a prime or zoom. Zoom's give unparalleled versatility and the Sigma 10-20mm is very wide which is great however prime choices such as the Da 15mm ltd, Samyang 16mm 2.0 or Samyang 14mm 2.8, will offer far superior image quality and speed.

Decide what fits your needs best, then by one of each =) haha

07-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Oh, and also depends if you want manual or auto focus. The Samyangs are manual but generally this is fine for UWA anyway...
07-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KevChandler Quote
what ultra wide angle would anyone recomend for my K-5, I'm currently looking at Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Sigma 10-20mm (both f3.5 and f4-5.6) and Pentax 10-17mm. I would be using it for both landscape and for "impact" wide angle shots of just about anything.
You are looking at two very different types of lenses - rectilinear (normal) and fisheye (distorted). I have both and each lens treats the subject matter differently, and in many respects these lenses are complementary, as they support each other. First, the wider you go, the more contrast and richness in color you tend to get - however the greater the distortion that there is present. Depending on your subject and how you compose and frame, this may work for you, or can go horrible wrong.
  • Fisheye lenses tend to treat things with natural curves better than straight lines and squares - unless you intend to emphasis these items. They are also 180 degrees wide - from corner to corner (diagonal).
  • Rectilinear treats lines and squares much better - i.e., the eye sees what it expects to see with the rectilinear or normal lenses. There are some scenes, where a fisheye would appear to be the way to go and it just does not work.
Another aspect is stitching. You can stitch with both types, and there are times when its really beneficial to do so. Also, having a fisheye has given me the opportunity to catch some of my best images. Things in motion, where stitching will not work - where its one shot or nothing, and you need wide - the fisheye.

Just a suggestion - if you really intend to go with a fisheye, I would go with a zoom rather than a prime, since it does offer more versatility and flexibility. The only available fisheye zoom is the DA 10-17. I have it and it is wonderful. Just a note, based on how you frame the subject you can put the bend anywhere you wish, by slightly tipping up or down. Also, watch out where your shoes are. Guaranteed within the first few shots you will have your shoes in the picture. Also, the focal length is not a really good indicator for fisheye lenses since they all catch 180 degrees on the diagonal (corner to corner). The main difference among the fisheye lenses is the type of spherical projection that they use (think of how flat maps are used to represent the earth - a sphere).

You can get prime fisheyes from 8mm to 16mm from a number of companies. Bower, Sigma, Rokinon, Zenitar, Samyang, Vivitar, Pelangi are some of the names (Bower, Rokinon, Samyang and Vivitar are the same lens). Also, the prime fisheye lenses tend to be faster at f2.8.
  • The DA 12-24 is very well corrected for distortion, and complements the 10-17 in terms of Angle of View where the 10-17 (180 to 100 degrees) leaves off, the 12-24 (99 to 60 degrees) takes over. You would not expect this from looking at the focal lengths. Sigma and Tamron have similar offerings, inn 10-20, 10-24, etc.
  • The Sigma 8-16 is wonderful, and at times a bit too wide (117 degrees at 8mm), but the contrast and color richness is excellent. I picked it up for one specific reason (since I like the DA 12-24). I like to shoot square rigged sailing ships (think the USS Constitution, or the tall ships), and its the only lens that was sufficiently wide to grab from the waterline to the top of the mast in a single frame, pierside. Stitching didn't work too well. I wanted straight lines and thus the fisheye would not provide what I wanted.
A number of these lenses may appear to be relatively slow. However with such a wide field/angle of view, they are really pulling in a lot of light, and thus appear to be faster than what their aperture shows.

Shooting with a wide angle lens is a bit different. Landscape wise, they tend to push the main object in focus into the background, so you really need something in the foreground to anchor the shot for the viewer's eye. They are also very good for very close objects - example, the Rolls Royce in the posting above. The DA 10-17 is a fisheye and is always a fisheye - especially at 10mm. At the 17mm focal length, a great deal of the "fisheness" is dampened out, however it is still there.

Here are some additional threads that you may find helpful....

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-22-2013 at 05:01 AM.
07-22-2013, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used both the 10-17 and 8-16. I own the 10-17 but rented the Sigma. They're both good, but very different as described above. I'd like to get the 8-16, but I think I'd evaluate some of the other UWA lenses first, like a 10-20. That seems like a great wide lens.
07-22-2013, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You are looking at two...
Excellent and valuable overview. Much appreciated.
07-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KevChandler Quote

all of your views are appreciated in the help for my decision.

K
Maybe add the Tamron 10-24 to your list to look at. I don't own it but some find it more versatile than the 10-20 lenses out there.
07-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will also comment on the 8-16 - it seems to give the sensation of movement. Like you're moving toward your subject. The periphery distortion has kind of a panning effect which is really, really nice.
07-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #14

I own the Bower 8mm fisheye (also known as the Samyang, etc).

I really do enjoy it. Set it at f11 or higher, focus to infinity, and go have fun.

Some examples below from the first week I had it and was just experimenting. The two of the tender show after and before applying lens correction.

(edit for typos)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo     

Last edited by gryhnd; 07-22-2013 at 07:20 AM.
07-22-2013, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma 8-16 that's really wide !