Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5ii auto focus vs nikon d7100

Hey everyone, im still on my journy of finding the right dslr for me to buy for christmas and its always a case of pentax k5ii vs something else, and this time its up against a nikon d7100. Every thing seems very similar but im not sure on the auto focus. My style of photography is wildlife (mainly birds) so i need speedy auto focus but i will not take faster auto focus if it has worse image quality (7d). Could anyone please help me out here? I can get a body only for about the same price at a local store.
Thanks in advance

07-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The nikon is better for action hands-down, though in low light the Pentax will have a slight edge as it can go down all the way to -3ev ish.

Personally I'd recommend going with the nikon in this case as they have a better lineup of modern telephoto lenses as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks adam. If i got the pentax i could get a tamron 70-200 f2.8 di ld but if i get the nikon i would have to get a cheaper lens like a sigma 70-300 cheapo one, would this turn the tables a bit if i had a better lens? Also im not worried about the bigger lens lineup because sigma is always gonna be here.
Thanks
07-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm... That Sigma essentially nullifies any speed advantage of the AF system. How much will you be able to spend in the next few years? A complete pro lens system doesn't help if you (I ) can't afford it.

07-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hey giklab, im only 13 and ive been saving all this year and last for a good dslr and lens. After i get this setup, if i got the pentax k5ii and tammy 70-200 f2.8 di ld, i would probably get a sigma 100-300 or pentax da* 300. But that will take a lot of saving up and convincing my parents that i need it..
07-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reptilezz Quote
Thanks adam. If i got the pentax i could get a tamron 70-200 f2.8 di ld but if i get the nikon i would have to get a cheaper lens like a sigma 70-300 cheapo one, would this turn the tables a bit if i had a better lens? Also im not worried about the bigger lens lineup because sigma is always gonna be here.
Thanks
actually what do you shoot? the 70-200 2.8 and 70-300 are 2 totally different lens, even though their range over lap some what, they're not even in the same categories.

If you're looking where else, the canon 6D ain't bad, i saw it running with the 24-105 L for 2000, which is close to what you're willing to spend on a K-5 II + 70-200 2.8 Tamron.

And that particular combo is very useful the 24-105 is a nice lens that can do a lot of different type of photography.
07-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #7

The Sigma 70-300mm is very bad at long end (200mm - 300mm) and it will be your most use. I would not recommend it.

07-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks guys, Clockwork, i mainly shoot grey fantails and other small birds around my yard and i know that those two lenses are completely different but i have a very tight budget so i think i might just go the k5ii because i probably won't have the money for a better lens if i got the nikon. i actually just watched video on utube of a k5 with a 70-200 tammy and the auto focus was very fast compared to the crappy super zoom i have now.
07-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm not sure what level you're at, but it's a common mistake to get the best camera money can buy and hope that will fix all other issues, including skill and technique. We all make that error, some of us over and over...

Manual focus or just centre point focus is pretty standard for small birds, mainly because there will always be twigs, leaves and other things in the way. You would be miles in front by just getting any old dslr and spending your money on a decent long lens and a book on wildlife photography technique. Bird photography is 99% down to the photographer's technique, and autofocus will always be hit and miss on any system, as the camera can't read your mind and focus on the tiny bird, rather than the tree it's sitting in or flying past.

As you know, birds are generally small, dark and fast moving, so the fun is in being able to correctly preset the exposure, predicting where to focus and waiting for the bird to fly into that zone.

good luck and have fun
07-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I'm not sure what level you're at, but it's a common mistake to get the best camera money can buy and hope that will fix all other issues, including skill and technique. We all make that error, some of us over and over...

Manual focus or just centre point focus is pretty standard for small birds, mainly because there will always be twigs, leaves and other things in the way. You would be miles in front by just getting any old dslr and spending your money on a decent long lens and a book on wildlife photography technique. Bird photography is 99% down to the photographer's technique, and autofocus will always be hit and miss on any system, as the camera can't read your mind and focus on the tiny bird, rather than the tree it's sitting in or flying past.

As you know, birds are generally small, dark and fast moving, so the fun is in being able to correctly preset the exposure, predicting where to focus and waiting for the bird to fly into that zone.

good luck and have fun
Thanks calsan, ive been doing bird photography for about 2 years but i still class myself as beginner. I have outgrown the camera i am using now (powershot s2is) and this year have been using full manual controlls, also the camera im using at the moment doesnt have dials for shutter and aperture. I have used my fellow bird photography friends ist d and was very impressed with it even the auto focus which alot of people diss. But he sill uses manual focus sometimes.
Thanks
07-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If it is for chrismas, the K5 successor will be there, you should consider it, as the K5 is a relatively old body, 3 years old, the D7100 was released this winter.
By the way, for birding you should consider to invest in a long lens, 200 mm is far too short, 400 to 600 mm is the correct range. Consider the Sigma 50-500 zoom or if you are fortunate enough, the Sigma 500 or the Pentax DA 560. I Personnaly use a FA*400 f5.6 and a FA*600 f4
07-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hey goubejp, i will only consider it if the price is $1500 or under as my budget wont stretch that far. And we dont know if it is a myth or truth as it may be released early next year
07-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
Forum Member

I think Adam could consider working for nikonforums if such thing exists.
Do not we have good telephoto lenses in the Pentax lineup? How many telephoto lens an average user need? (I guess one can do...)
07-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
I think Adam could consider working for nikonforums if such thing exists.
Do not we have good telephoto lenses in the Pentax lineup? How many telephoto lens an average user need? (I guess one can do...)
Well we have the da*300 560... I like the line up so far better quality then nikon aswell because.. Well its pentax
07-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

even a combo of the old k7 and de da*300 will give better results then the sigma 70-300 and the k5ii. Its just mainly practice.