Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera Club Ideas

Sorry this isn't specifically a K5 thread, but I didn't know where it should go... any help would be appreciated!

I'm going to be starting up a Camera Club in September in Itoman, Okinawa. People will be coming who like photography, but their equipment will vary from Point & Shoot/Cell phone, to DSLRs with multiple lens. I'm looking for ideas on activities that anyone can do, that will help people will learn and grown in photography, but won't cost very much (if any) money. Also ideas for contests as I hope to have a few contests with small prizes.

I started getting seriously into photography only a few years ago, and since then have not had an opportunity to be in or a part of a camera club, so I really don't know what goes on at meetings etc. I'm a complete novice at this, so any and all ideas will be very helpful. Please feel free to include things that are "obvious" as this things probably won't be obvious to me.

Thanks for your help!

07-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a look at these two websites that should get you started,
Bristol's Digital Photography from Novice to Pro. (Bristol, England) - Meetup
Bristol Photography Group (Bristol, England) - Meetup
The first one is learning help the second the social side
07-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Here is information about my local photographic society:
Here is next season's syllabus.
Here is our blog, giving views about meeting reports and what members get up to.

Last edited by Barry Pearson; 07-29-2013 at 02:21 AM.
07-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for contests: panorama's + stitching. Great fun.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/2276...er-method.html

07-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photo Club?

Hello Gilzuma,
The camera club is a great idea, getting people together with a common interest. It will take some work on your part, but should be rewarding!
One thing you might consider is perhaps not having an official "Club" with dues and meetings (at least, in the beginning) but more of a 'meetup' group like the one linked in Alistair's post.
I belong to a digital photography meetup here in Denver, and find it fits into the busy schedule most working adults have. Think of it as an online club, no dues, few regular meetings and all are welcome.
Any member can suggest a 'Meetup', that is, a place and time where there will be some sort of free (or low-cost) event or location that's good for photography. A fair or outdoor event, a good flower display for macro, a church, a prime sunset location, use your imagination!
The member who suggests the meetup makes whatever arrangements necessary (usually just contacting the event director to find out if flash or tripods are allowed, confirming that a group is welcome, best times to come, etc) Then posts the time, date and location on the club website. Members who wish to attend RSVP the organizing member and confirm thay'll attend. Others can see who's going, perhaps they can pal up and ride-share. Everyone meets in a nearby parking lot and goes to the event. Lots of fun, sharing ideas and tips, partly social, partly learning. Later, members post their photos on the site, a sub-forum for each event.
This way members can choose events that interest them, perhaps suggest ones that haven't been done yet.
As folks get to know each other, you might suggest a non-photo club meeting and see if catches on. Or, mix a meeting with a 'club social' dinner or barbeque.
Or, you could mix the meetup idea with a more formal club concept?
Good luck!
Ron
07-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool! Thanks for these ideas! Keep 'em coming. Thanks as well for the links, those will be helpful. I am having difficulty opening the NCPS links... I'll try again later.
07-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Years ago I had a friend who taught photography at what was then know as a reform school. He started this idea that he called his "The ball and chain theory of photography." It was based upon the premise that there is a good photograph to be taken within 15 feet of wherever you are. You just have to open your eyes to see it.

Each student was positioned in place and told that he could no move more than 15 feet in any direction. Then they had to shoot a 24 exposure roll of film. The first few shots were easy, but the interval between photographs got longer and longer as the students had to spend more time looking for something to photograph. But it taught the students to really look at their surroundings and some of them came up with some amazing photographs. A lot of them came up with some good to very good photographs.

Might be a fun exercise. Go to a local park with some pegs and a 15' length of string and see what happens. As a tribute to the good old days of photography they must take 24 shots only. No deletions allowed. Make it an annual event.

07-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Years ago I had a friend who taught photography at what was then know as a reform school. He started this idea that he called his "The ball and chain theory of photography." It was based upon the premise that there is a good photograph to be taken within 15 feet of wherever you are. You just have to open your eyes to see it.

Each student was positioned in place and told that he could no move more than 15 feet in any direction. Then they had to shoot a 24 exposure roll of film. The first few shots were easy, but the interval between photographs got longer and longer as the students had to spend more time looking for something to photograph. But it taught the students to really look at their surroundings and some of them came up with some amazing photographs. A lot of them came up with some good to very good photographs.

Might be a fun exercise. Go to a local park with some pegs and a 15' length of string and see what happens. As a tribute to the good old days of photography they must take 24 shots only. No deletions allowed. Make it an annual event.
That's sounds like a really good exercise! Thanks!
07-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our camera club has regular field trips to various locations. We try to mix it up so that we hopefully hit on most everyone's area of interest eventually. We'll take trips to the zoo...or to a part of the state during the wildflower bloom...or go downtown and do street shooting at night...and even hold a portrait workshop where members with studio lights will set up their rigs and allow those without lights to hook up their cameras and see what it's like to work with flash. We also hold a couple of assigned subject contests during the year. One we call the Treasure Hunt. Originally, we did this on film. Members were given a 24 exposure roll of slide film and a list of 6 subjects. They were to shoot 4 pictures of each of the 6 subjects and turn the film in undeveloped. The pictures were supposed to be 4 distinct photos, not brackets of one composition, so members had to be careful about their exposure and framing. We've shifted the Treasure Hunt over to digital these days and now allow post-processing. Subjects have included bokeh, Can you hear it?, windows, The eyes have it, red, etc... For the judging of our Treasure Hunt entries, we enlist the help of local professional photographers. If we allow them a week or two to do the judging, most pros have been more than willing to help. We also have another contest that's called Viewpoint or Image Quest. This is a single subject contest and the winner is voted on by the group. Our most recent subject was "Alley". It was anything that could be found in an alley. The winner was a homeless guy playing guitar and singing with his cat. For both, the Treasure Hunt and Image Quest, we give our members a month or two to shoot their images. I know that's a long time to wait so if you wanted something more immediate, you could hold some field trips and have small competitions of photos taken strictly on the trip. Good luck...have fun!
07-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Perhaps call it a photo club instead of a camera club. Unless you want the emphasis to be on gear of course.

Regards,
--Anders.
07-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The small town I live in has a camera club (I've not joined yet), a website (Shooters Photography Club ) and a Facebook page. They hold a monthly photographic trip to a location within the county, some of which they have had special 'after hours' access to so that they can shoot freely without other visitors in the way. They also have a monthly meeting which usually includes a talk/demonstration/lesson of some kind. The hour before the meeting starts is also available for people (like beginners) who need assistance with some aspect of the hobby, i.e. technique, gear, PP etc.
07-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Perhaps call it a photo club instead of a camera club. Unless you want the emphasis to be on gear of course.

Regards,
--Anders.
good catch...
07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Our camera club has regular field trips to various locations. We try to mix it up so that we hopefully hit on most everyone's area of interest eventually. We'll take trips to the zoo...or to a part of the state during the wildflower bloom...or go downtown and do street shooting at night...and even hold a portrait workshop where members with studio lights will set up their rigs and allow those without lights to hook up their cameras and see what it's like to work with flash. We also hold a couple of assigned subject contests during the year. One we call the Treasure Hunt. Originally, we did this on film. Members were given a 24 exposure roll of slide film and a list of 6 subjects. They were to shoot 4 pictures of each of the 6 subjects and turn the film in undeveloped. The pictures were supposed to be 4 distinct photos, not brackets of one composition, so members had to be careful about their exposure and framing. We've shifted the Treasure Hunt over to digital these days and now allow post-processing. Subjects have included bokeh, Can you hear it?, windows, The eyes have it, red, etc... For the judging of our Treasure Hunt entries, we enlist the help of local professional photographers. If we allow them a week or two to do the judging, most pros have been more than willing to help. We also have another contest that's called Viewpoint or Image Quest. This is a single subject contest and the winner is voted on by the group. Our most recent subject was "Alley". It was anything that could be found in an alley. The winner was a homeless guy playing guitar and singing with his cat. For both, the Treasure Hunt and Image Quest, we give our members a month or two to shoot their images. I know that's a long time to wait so if you wanted something more immediate, you could hold some field trips and have small competitions of photos taken strictly on the trip. Good luck...have fun!
That sounds cool, I like the treasure hunt idea!
07-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
The small town I live in has a camera club (I've not joined yet), a website (Shooters Photography Club ) and a Facebook page. They hold a monthly photographic trip to a location within the county, some of which they have had special 'after hours' access to so that they can shoot freely without other visitors in the way. They also have a monthly meeting which usually includes a talk/demonstration/lesson of some kind. The hour before the meeting starts is also available for people (like beginners) who need assistance with some aspect of the hobby, i.e. technique, gear, PP etc.
Ya, some of the people interested in the photo club are interested in group outings. However, I don't think I will be able to get after hours passes to anything here in Japan, I have neither the clout nor the language skill to arrange that! But we will be definitely mixing up training and trips.