Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

My K-5 II firmware 1.04 won't load on my camera!

Hi- I just got my new K-5 II today & I checked for firmware updates & followed the instructions & when I press menu & turn on the camera at the same time it will not update my firmware! This is exactly what I am doing:
1. Downloaded the update & it was self extracting & is called "k5_2_104.EXE"
2. attached my camera to my computer with a formatted SD card in it
3. Copied & Pasted the update into the root directory on the sd card. There is also a folder in the root directory called DCIM- don't know if this means anything, it was already there.
4. Turned off the camera
5. Held down the menu button & turned camera on
6. Camera screen shows current version of firmware 1.0 then screen goes black & my Lightroom tries to auto import

Tried that a couple of times & then I unplugged the camera from the computer then held down the menu button & turned the camera on. It showed the current version of firmware 1.0, screen went black & then it went into capture mode & showed me my settings on the LCD screen.

I can't think of anything else to do & I'm getting SO frustrated. I have a K20d but I have never updated the firmware on it because I was afraid to, afraid that I would mess the camera up & this experience isn't helping my confidence any! I would really appreciate ANY help you could give me!

08-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Follow these instructions:
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs Firmware v1.04 - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Sounds like the reason the firmware isn't being recognized is that you haven't extracted the .BIN file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Follow these instructions:
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs Firmware v1.04 - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Sounds like the reason the firmware isn't being recognized is that you haven't extracted the .BIN file.
I did follow those instructions & it didn't work.
How do I extract the bin file? It isn't zipped & it's an .exe file. Do I double click on that & let it install on my computer? Thank you Adam.
08-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Adam I did follow those instructions & it didn't work.
How do I find the .BIN file? All I have is an .EXE file & it's not zipped. Should I double click on it & let it "install" on my computer? Thank you so much for your help.

08-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
ADAM I FIGURED IT OUT!!

The download is an .exe file so you have to double click on it & let it "install" the .BIN file on your computer. THEN you copy & paste the .bin file to a formatted sd card, turn camera off & unplug it from the computer. And then you turn it on by pressing & holding the menu button while turning on the power. Then it says "Updating now" & installs.
Thanks for letting me know what kind of file I was looking for Adam!
08-10-2013, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newtexican Quote
ADAM I FIGURED IT OUT!!

The download is an .exe file so you have to double click on it & let it "install" the .BIN file on your computer. THEN you copy & paste the .bin file to a formatted sd card, turn camera off & unplug it from the computer. And then you turn it on by pressing & holding the menu button while turning on the power. Then it says "Updating now" & installs.
Thanks for letting me know what kind of file I was looking for Adam!
Right, you need to run it to extract the file. Same applies to the zip.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

I have exactly the same issue. However, my .bin file does not transform itself into a .exe file. Nothing happens when I double click on the file icon. It's already extracted from being a compressed .zip file. Only thing that happens is my computer archives the .bin file. Any other advice?

11-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, using a card reader download the .exe to the root directory of your SD card. Then using windows explorer double click the .exe file on the card to extract the .bin file in the root directory. Then insert the card into your camera. It should recognize it. Afterwards reformat your card with the camera's formatting.
11-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by newtexican Quote
Hi- I just got my new K-5 II today & I checked for firmware updates & followed the instructions & when I press menu & turn on the camera at the same time it will not update my firmware! This is exactly what I am doing:
1. Downloaded the update & it was self extracting & is called "k5_2_104.EXE"
Puzzled as to why your updating to 1.04. Ricoh/Pentax Website shows current version is 1.07. You do not have to update to an intrmediate version to do it. Also latest versions have all amendments made in older verions.

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

The one you want is 11th from the top - K-5II / K-5IIs.

Cheers,

LoneWolf
11-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KarenAmelia Quote
I have exactly the same issue. However, my .bin file does not transform itself into a .exe file. Nothing happens when I double click on the file icon. It's already extracted from being a compressed .zip file. Only thing that happens is my computer archives the .bin file. Any other advice?
Nothing is supposed to happen when you double click the .BIN file. The .bin is extracted from the .exe when you double click it (the .exe). Put the .bin on the card and follow the update instructions for your camera..
11-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this has already been said but just extract the file on your computer. Then put the bin file (and only the bin file) on the sd card. Be sure you put it in the root directory. If that is confusing reformat the card. When you open it to transfer the bin file you will be in the root of the card. The instructions on the Pentax web site are very easy to follow if you read them in sequence and carefully.
11-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I think this has already been said but just extract the file on your computer. Then put the bin file (and only the bin file) on the sd card. Be sure you put it in the root directory. If that is confusing reformat the card. When you open it to transfer the bin file you will be in the root of the card. The instructions on the Pentax web site are very easy to follow if you read them in sequence and carefully.
So I did transfer the .bin file to the root directory of the SD card. There was no .exe file, just a .zip compressed file which I extracted and got one .bin file . Then I put the card in the camera, pressed MENU while turning on the power, and all that happened was that I saw the window saying version 1.0, then the window went to displaying information about the current settings.

Any other ideas - or whom can I ask about this? Tech support for Adorama, where I bought the camera, does not give assistance in this situation.
11-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

What camera model do you have and what firmware are you attempting. If it is a K5 ll or lls, which this thread was originally about, there isn't a zip file, for other models there are.
11-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #14

I've pasted a relevant bit from the Ricoh website. The update file for Mac is a .zip file. See below.

Download the updated firmware file

[K-5II]
For Windows : k5_2_107.exe 10,134Kbytes, LHA type, self-extracting files
For Windows/Macintosh : k5_2_107.zip 10,064Kbytes, zip type
[K-5IIs]
For Windows : k5_2s107.exe 10,134Kbytes, LHA type, self-extracting files
For Windows/Macintosh : k5_2s107.zip 10,064Kbytes, zip type
11-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #15

Yes, I went through all the steps properly, and the place where nothing happens is when I turn on the camera while pressing MENU (as I said above.) The monitor shows the standard message: that I have system 1.0. There is no prompt to update, or sign that updating is happening. And the next time I turn on the camera, it is still on system 1.0 even though the update is for 1.6.

It's just not kicking in to the update program - not reading the card or??? I am going to hold off on attempting this update since someone else posted that he tried this about five times, getting the same results as I have, and on the final try the camera appeared to start the update but spent 20 minutes at it, and it destroyed the functionallity of his camera.