Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting a water slide with a K-5

I think I've read every thread here about waterproof/water resistance of the K-5 with the correct lenses to make it very resistant to water infiltration. Maybe I'm dense, but I still don't know how to handle this situation:

I work for a YMCA that recently installed a water slide in one of its facilities. I'd like to get some action shots at the bottom to print up and display around the aquatics area. (I won't be taking it down the slide...unless you folks think I could do so without damaging the rig).

I am using a K-5 with a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens. I'll be standing at the edge of a second pool separated from the splashdown zone in about 4 feet of water, probably resting the camera on the deck for support. I will not be submerging it (at least I hope I won't be!) and will be carrying it over my head when moving in the pool. (Think of the guys in Vietnam with their rifles over their heads while walking through rivers.)

I have an OpTech rain sleeve and will be pretty much out of the splash area (unless some 300 pounder comes roaring down, in which case I might get some stray drops). Do I need the sleeve or is that overkill? Do I need something more? Plexiglass shield perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

08-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The Pentax weather resistant bodies (note resistant not proof) are only weather resistant if they are used in combination with a weather resistant lens. All bets are off if you put a regular lens (like your Tamron) on the body as water could get into the camera body or lens via the lens mount.
08-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like Tako Kichi said above. I don't know if you want to risk it with a non-WR lens... the camera itself is WR if paired with the right lens, but if you use a normal lens and the camera gets wet and damaged, warranty will very likely not cover you since you used a non-WR lens and water could get through the lens mount and into the camera body, since the lens bottom is not sealed.

A few drops probably aren't going to kill your camera/lens, but I don't know if it's worth risking. Because your lens goes up the 300mm, I image you'd be able to stand a safe distance away and still get the shot without risking your camera getting soaked...
08-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Julie said.

08-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

The lens you have could pose a problem as others have indicated due to lack of weather sealing. It also is a very slow lens and you likely will find it too slow for that kind of low light work.
08-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the DA18-135, (or better yet, the DA*60-250!) and go ahead and get right in the splash zone. Had mine outside for 2 days in a tropical storm. We got soaked, camera came out fine! I wore a poncho to keep it out of the rain some, but it was pretty much non-stop wet.