Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
DeeDee who is familiar with the Fuji brand. (DeeDee: Your information really helped me make my decision.)
Hey cheers bro! Remember though every brand and every product has it's own flaws and greatness. While K-5 is a great camera. Its AF has wildly been criticized. So coming from bridge. I would really consider that too.

Considering if you are a geek like me who was thinking about cameras, even while eating food. I would really like you to sit this one out. Wait may be for a month + 1 or so. If you can / or have that resilience.

Weight out your options. Go to camera stores (Physical ones) as MUCH as you can. It will really really help.

Cheers!

08-31-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks. I do expect lens distortion with wide angle and in fact use it in some of my photos. I have the Tamron 10-24mm zoom. I noticed such a drastic difference with my K5 shots compared to the images I get from my bridge cameras. I'm not looking for flat photos with lines aligned to the horizon and vertical lines. I'll be shooting the K5 again and when I get a photo with this problem that really annoys me, I'll upload it here. I do a lot of shooting in Detroit and houses (what's left of them) and buildings are everywhere and included in many of my photos. Flickr: TooLoose-LeTrek's Photostream

Hopefully soon my gallery will be filled with K5 and whatever other Pentax camera I eventually get. It will be really tough leaving the bridge at home because it is really so perfect for what I do, everything except that teenie weenie sensor.
09-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got a fresh idea regarding my situation. I have a K5 and wanted to replace my bridge camera and was considering the Fuji X-S1 but hesitated because of the smaller sensor. We discussed this above. I was originally going to sell my K5 and get a K5 II. Then I thought perhaps I would keep my K5 and get an additional Pentax DSLR, a K30, K50 or a K5 II. B&H no longer carries the X-S1 (Fuji) so even if I went back to that way of thinking, it's too late. (I really don't mind because that small sensor size lingers in my mind.) The reason I wanted the X-S1 is for the zoom. And the manual zoom. And the fact I could compose from the LCD. I shoot in a potentially dangerous area (Detroit neighborhoods) and holding a camera to my eye could be seen as intrusive by people in the neighborhood, not knowing what I do. Detroit has 2-3 of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country.

I don't need the same zoom range on the X-S1 (26X I think) but I do need some good distance. With the K5 1.5 crop factor, I would need some serious long glass to get near that range. I had resigned to bite the bullet (and hopefully not catch one in the head) and go for a K5 II along with my K5, which I have decided to keep. Yesterday I got a fresh idea and I'd like some feedback here.

I never seriously considered the Q series. If I am understanding this correctly (I'm NOT a techie), the Q7 has a decent size sensor, 1/1.7". And it has a nasty little crop factor of over 4x. An adapter is available so I could use my Pentax lenses. A 135mm lens would be a 540mm, a 150 a 600, and that would do me just fine. Does the Q series have decent stabilization? I am currently using a Fuji HS30 for long distance and it really has been a fantastic camera (but small sensor.) Even at long zoom, with slight camera movement, it often hones in and gives me a decent shot, considering the factors here.

How does a Q7 IQ compare to bridge cameras, like the discontinued Fuji X-S1? I won't consider other bridge cameras because I really want a manual zoom and Fuji is the only brand doing that.

Feedback on my latest scheme will be appreciated. I am getting ready to make my move.

Thanks.
09-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hi,

I really recommend that you read everything and understand fully what I am about to write.

I cannot speak on your behalf. Suggestions and advise is something which everyone has - and they don't matter - because in the end - A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Its your choice.

I have been your exact same situations of switching cameras before DSLR. I will make a list of recommendations for you and you can just pick whatever you want.

Here is "MY" list of cameras which take EXCELLENT pictures!

Point and Shoot (Compact)

1. Sony Rx100 (My favorite camera and absolute bang for the buck).
2. Ricoh GR (A little more expensive)
3. Nikon Coolpix A (A little more expensive)

Hybrid

1. Sony NEX 7
2. Olympus OM-D E-M5 (There is a newer and a greater version recently launched Olympus OM-D E-M1)
3. Pentax K-01
I will also add Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 (It is a great camera).

Bridge (Super Zoom)

1. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
3. Nikon Coolpix P510

DSLR

1. Nikon D5200 (Entry/ Enthusiast) or Nikon D7100 (Semi-pro)
2. Pentax K-5II / S (semi-pro) or Pentax K-50 (entry/ enthusiast)
May be Canon 70D or Canon 700D (depends on your budget) if it cuts it for you... (I doubt).

Now all the cameras I listed above take GREAT pictures. They are loaded with features which are commonly or rather not so commonly used.

The only reason I would not comment on Q series is - It just does not cut it for me. It's toy camera. If I want to buy something small I will buy a Point and Shoot.

If I was you, I would have two cameras - You need zoom well Ilympus DMC FZ200 or Nilkon P510(The rare occasion I need that kind of zoom) and Nikon Coolpiz A or Sony RX100.

BTW DMX FZ200 whoops the royal behind of Fuji XS1 anyday! (The sensor comparison is not even something to be mentioned here!).

Cheers!
P.S. I know I would be hated upon for mentioning anything else BUT Pentax.
I got a fresh idea regarding my situation. I have a K5 and wanted to replace my bridge camera and was considering the Fuji X-S1 but hesitated because of the smaller sensor. We discussed this above. I was originally going to sell my K5 and get a K5 II. Then I thought perhaps I would keep my K5 and get an additional Pentax DSLR, a K30, K50 or a K5 II. B&H no longer carries the X-S1 (Fuji) so even if I went back to that way of thinking, it's too late. (I really don't mind because that small sensor size lingers in my mind.) The reason I wanted the X-S1 is for the zoom. And the manual zoom. And the fact I could compose from the LCD. I shoot in a potentially dangerous area (Detroit neighborhoods) and holding a camera to my eye could be seen as intrusive by people in the neighborhood, not knowing what I do. Detroit has 2-3 of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I don't need the same zoom range on the X-S1 (26X I think) but I do need some good distance. With the K5 1.5 crop factor, I would need some serious long glass to get near that range. I had resigned to bite the bullet (and hopefully not catch one in the head) and go for a K5 II along with my K5, which I have decided to keep. Yesterday I got a fresh idea and I'd like some feedback here. I never seriously considered the Q series. If I am understanding this correctly (I'm NOT a techie), the Q7 has a decent size sensor, 1/1.7". And it has a nasty little crop factor of over 4x. An adapter is available so I could use my Pentax lenses. A 135mm lens would be a 540mm, a 150 a 600, and that would do me just fine. Does the Q series have decent stabilization? I am currently using a Fuji HS30 for long distance and it really has been a fantastic camera (but small sensor.) Even at long zoom, with slight camera movement, it often hones in and gives me a decent shot, considering the factors here. How does a Q7 IQ compare to bridge cameras, like the discontinued Fuji X-S1? I won't consider other bridge cameras because I really want a manual zoom and Fuji is the only brand doing that. Feedback on my latest scheme will be appreciated. I am getting ready to make my move. Thanks.

09-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
I know I would be hated upon for mentioning anything else BUT Pentax.
I don't think so. This is a liberal place. But it is PENTAX forums, after all, so one expects a strong focus on Pentax.
09-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.

After posting this I read the full review on the Q camera on our site. Yeah, I know I should have done so before posting. After reading it, I realize the Q camera is not for me.

I own a RX100 Sony and use it all the time for closer images. I agree...a great little camera.

I thought about that Lumix FZ200 (small sensor) and would have probably bought it if it had manual zoom. I really like to compose my images in the camera so I don't have to play around with cropping. As is, I often spend three hours preparing pics after a decent shoot. As is, I have trouble with the RX100 zoom, getting it right where I want it.

I have used a Lumix GH2. It was okay but I was a little disappointed. No doubt the GH3 has some improvements.

Another factor is that I already own some Pentax glass and it seems a shame to only use it on my K5. That's why I thought the Q camera might solve my problems. As I stated, my most recent plan had been to get a K5 II. Lugging around two Pentax DSLR cameras does seem a bit much, though.

I'm not trying to counter your suggestions, and I do appreciate your feedback. I am just explaining further thoughts I've already had and why I didn't pursue some of the options you suggested. I'm definitely not going into Nikon or Canon DSLR as I prefer using Pentax.

I hadn't considered the Pentax K-01 and will do some research on it. Thanks for the lead. It looks smaller and it does have a decent sized sensor, and I could use my Pentax glass on it! The only problem it doesn't resolve is the zoom I require. But still, I'm going to check it out. Thanks again.
09-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

That's why I thought the Q camera might solve my problems.
Any NEX with a K-to-NEX adapter off eBay for $10 will let you use your K-mount lenses on the NEX (manual focus and aperture). You could even use the Speed Booster adapter to convert your NEX and older Pentax glass into a pretend Pentax FF.

09-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Hi,

I own a RX100 Sony and use it all the time for closer images.
Seriously!? You still want more cameras?

I hadn't considered the Pentax K-01 and will do some research on it. Thanks for the lead. It looks smaller and it does have a decent sized sensor, and I could use my Pentax glass on it! The only problem it doesn't resolve is the zoom I require. But still, I'm going to check it out. Thanks again.
K-01 has small quirks if you can learn to live with them. Here is a quick digitalrev review:

Since you have Pentax glasses and seems you don't want to part with them, I am not sure what is stopping you from buying Pentax K-5 II. From what I know there is a good offer currently from both B&H and ADORAMA.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Any NEX with a K-to-NEX adapter off eBay for $10 will let you use your K-mount lenses on the NEX (manual focus and aperture).
I second this, the NEX 7 is absolutely unmatched! That camera is like 30 round Glock! Its weight performance ratios is astounding.

Cheers!
09-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Seriously!? You still want more cameras?
You can never have too many cameras. You need backups. Also different tools for different jobs - one camera can't do everything.

And you need hand-me-down gifts or loaners for family and relatives going overseas, needing something for a course at school, etc ...
09-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes. Zoom Zoom. The RX100 is great but isn't much of a zoomer and I mentioned a few times, I'm all about zoom. I want a second camera for better image quality and I don't want to lug around lenses and constantly change them so I'll be ready with two bodies, two different lenses.

I don't have time to change lenses where I go.

UPDATE

I guess this is a done deal...I just ordered a K-01. I didn't resolve the 'zoom' issue. I'll just have to do the best I can with what I have.

Thanks for all this discussion and I can definitely say this talk was instrumental in helping me decide what I want to do.

Last edited by TooLoose; 09-16-2013 at 11:34 AM.