Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
mode dial not selecting.

I decide to get a second K5 body as they are available at very reduced prices , body only no battery or anything.

I only mention this so you know I understand the mode dial and what it should do.

Any way, new camera arrives and I set it up , and go to do a job with it , set up in av mode when I realize that the rear dial is not not changing the aperture.

On examination when I rotate the mode dial when you get to AV it tells me on the rear screen it is in TV mode still, and the dial only respond as in tv mode, and when carrying on round when I get to TAV it says I am now in manual mode and again that is the mode it is in and not TAV.

I phoned the supplier and they are posting another one out and will collect this one.

Has any one heard of this fault before? I can't recall seeing anything about it..

08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not uncommon to hear complaints about broken mode dials, as evidenced by some of the "similar threads" linked below. In your case, it's probably a manufacturing defect, though I'd say that it's possible to break the mode dial due to wear and tear also.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I recently noticed my K200D does not select P mode in the click-stop position. If I rotate the mode dial about half way between P and the next mode it will go into P mode. All other modes are fine.
12-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not uncommon to hear complaints about broken mode dials, as evidenced by some of the "similar threads" linked below. In your case, it's probably a manufacturing defect, though I'd say that it's possible to break the mode dial due to wear and tear also.
Adam,

I was wondering which thread you are linking to. My K5 has suddenly developed this problem. The mode dial selector is now only selecting every second option (and carrying over that selection to the next option on the dial). For example, Bulb setting is selectable on bulb (as one would expect) but carries over to Manual (manual is now lost). Flash syn takes up its normal slot and USER. Av mode is now present throughout all the remaining selections.

Ironically, this issue happened while I had a non genuine K-M42 mount adapter attached. Perhaps that tiny screw is in the camera somewhere causing havoc although I doubt it would have troubled the mode dial selection.

Another coincidence is the arrival of my new K5iis and K 3 ...... perhaps a case of jealousy..... or looming fear of neglect

12-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Adam,

I was wondering which thread you are linking to. My K5 has suddenly developed this problem. The mode dial selector is now only selecting every second option (and carrying over that selection to the next option on the dial). For example, Bulb setting is selectable on bulb (as one would expect) but carries over to Manual (manual is now lost). Flash syn takes up its normal slot and USER. Av mode is now present throughout all the remaining selections.

Ironically, this issue happened while I had a non genuine K-M42 mount adapter attached. Perhaps that tiny screw is in the camera somewhere causing havoc although I doubt it would have troubled the mode dial selection.

Another coincidence is the arrival of my new K5iis and K 3 ...... perhaps a case of jealousy..... or looming fear of neglect
Take a look at the links under "similar threads" at the very bottom of the page.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks - that is what you meant - all good

---------- Post added 12-07-14 at 01:29 PM ----------

It seems that I have a buggered mode dial. There is no rational explanation for the onset of this problem. It literally happened over night.

Perhaps the heat we have been experiencing has had a role (internal grease has become less viscous and migrated into the Mode Dial)? I do not know - anyway, the camera has, overnight, become almost useless - massive annoyance as it only 5K clicks on it. I suspect a repair job will cost more than the second hand camera.....

That is the second camera that has gone on me with <5K clicks. The K10D was the first. Hmmmm.
12-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The try anything approach has resulted in random success. I poured a 'generous' amount of methylated spirit into the mode dial. Left it for about an hour, then turned the camera on.

Success. M mode is back.

Sigh, I now have my camera back

12-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I bought a 3rd k 5 when they were end of line and heavily discounted last year and the first one to arrive had a faulty mode dial right out of the box
12-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow - a faulty component. I wonder how widespread the problem is? Perhaps it is a sleeper problem that will only start heing problematic after a handful of years (when warranty is well and truely gone).

I assume you had the camera replaced. I was not under warranty so I had to chance my arm.
10-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Have you had any more trouble with the non-working Mode dial, @wild-mark? Just today my Pentax K-5IIs started acting up, it won't switch out of Manual mode, no matter how long I rotate the dial! I'm hoping this isn't a permanent problem...

---------- Post added Oct 21st, 2015 at 12:01 ----------

Here's a link to my thread about it...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/306317-help-k-5i...ting-mode.html