Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B/W in camera settings for a film look?

Hi!

What are your best settings to get that "film" look when you do in camera B/W (K-5)?

I've cranked the ISO to 10000, no NR reduction, contrast +1, sharpness +1, yellow filter.

I'm trying this now, but can it be optimized?

09-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Recently a nice thread was started by Arjay Bee about setting up a camera for BW:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/235886-re-purposin...t-bookend.html
Perhaps you can get more info there.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 09-08-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Link changed to root.
09-08-2013, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to get a true B&W camera then remove the Bayer Layer and AA filter from some redundant camera and you'll have a dedicated B&W camera, not a cheap option. You can buy (very expensively) a Leica M9 configured this way. I would love Pentax to offer the K5 without the Bayer Layer.

Your shooting in colour, any in camera B&W settings only alter the Jpeg output with few options, take the colour Raw file and you can do much more in Post processing. In Photoshop's B&W adjustment layer any colour can be any tone.

Adding a yellow filter will just give a yellow cast to the white balance on the underlying colour image, you can get the effect of a yellow filter (holding back the blue, usually in the sky to increase cloud contrast) in post.

If you want to get loads of detail you can bracket shots and use a HDR as the base file then you can get B&W results like this

[
]

[
]

Chris
09-09-2013, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zantaphia Quote
Hi!

What are your best settings to get that "film" look when you do in camera B/W (K-5)?

I've cranked the ISO to 10000, no NR reduction, contrast +1, sharpness +1, yellow filter.

I'm trying this now, but can it be optimized?
Don't be afraid to set contrast even higher. I usually set it to +3 in the BW custom image settings.

There's also the high-contrast filter effect to try out for fun.

Regards,
--Anders.

09-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I do all my B&W in post on raw files, using Lightroom+Silver Efex. Ligthtroom can also do passable B&W work without any plugins.

By doing it in camera, you lose the advantages of shooting raw. Just my 0.02 cents...