Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
If you have Windows 7 or higher, why would anyone pay for an AV? The MS AV works better than any I have tried before and I have tried many. With all the flack MS has taken for years for holes in its OS's, who better to protect than them? Its in their best interest. Biggest plus I can say in several years of running it, I have never noticed it. (can't say that for Norton, Avast, McAfee, and others) Have it on 5 PC's in this house, and not once have we been infected. Run both a wired 8 port network and a wireless N network.

09-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

^ virus writers target the most popular operating systems and try to bypass the most common antivirus. I prefer to use slightly less common but still well supported AV software. I'm not claiming MS AV is bad but I won't rely on a single source for my OS plus AV.
09-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree Windows AV is the best AV tool I've found so far, but for malware nothing still beats Spybot S&D in my opinion
09-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
^ virus writers target the most popular operating systems and try to bypass the most common antivirus. I prefer to use slightly less common but still well supported AV software. I'm not claiming MS AV is bad but I won't rely on a single source for my OS plus AV.
I am of the firm belief that software companies writing AV software also employ the virus writers

09-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by paraben Quote
My Norton Internet Security 2013 also indicated the K-5 fw update 1.15 as a potential risk and put it in quarantaine. It's decision is based upon a combination of reasons, among them the fact that the file is created recently and not known yet in the Norton community database. I took it out of quarantaine and reported to Symantec that I consider this file to be safe. Within a few days it should be on their "white-list".
I received a confirmation from Symantec this morning (8:19 CEST) about the white-listing of the K-5 fw update file:

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your submission and as such this detection will be removed from our products.
The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at Virus Definitions & Security Updates - Symantec Corp.

Everyone is of course entitled to have his own meaning about certain AV software, depending on his own experience. Our company has used 4 different AV protection "suites", and for several reasons we decided a few years ago to use Norton Internet Security on all workstations. We believe Symantec does a very good job in this matter.

But, what's more important, a few members of the Dutch Pentax forums (also) report enhanced AF performance after implementing the new software release in their camera (K-5 and K-01)
I haven't installed the new software yet, but I will post my findings on this.

Greetz from the Netherlands
09-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paraben Quote

But, what's more important, a few members of the Dutch Pentax forums (also) report enhanced AF performance after implementing the new software release in their camera (K-5 and K-01)
I haven't installed the new software yet, but I will post my findings on this.

Greetz from the Netherlands
I'm confirming this finding. Only two lenses of my Pentax glass suite are AF ( kit 18-55 and 50-200) but I did notice a dramatic improvement in autofocusing. K-5 stopped hunting in subdued lighting and the focusing is now lightning fast and very accurate ( both , in LV contrast detection and in phase detection mode).

Last edited by atarget; 09-13-2013 at 06:21 AM.
09-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #22

So obvious once pointed out

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But, from a point of view you're right. Use the "mac" version of the firmware, which is actually a zip file - thus platform independent.
Now why didn't I think of that - don't understand why the PC version has to be an exe file!

Last edited by WightWalker; 09-13-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Update
09-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #23

I don't understand why someone uses a PC with all the virus related problems. I work now since 1985 with the Mac and never had problems with viruses ;-)
09-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Yes, confusion reigns.

I sent a bug report to Pentax-USA about this issue. The response I got this morning was that a new firmware (1.15) for the K-5 has not been released in the US as of this morning but they would send my comments up the line to their corporate folks.
Abmj: Any word yet from Pentax-USA about the firmware being available issue free?
09-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Abmj: Any word yet from Pentax-USA about the firmware being available issue free?
I haven't heard back from Pentax but it has been reported upthread that Symantec (Norton) has tested the files and put an "all clear" flag in the next AV update. In other words, the file is fine, the problem was with the Norton scan not recognizing it and treating it as unknown and potentially malicious. I just went ahead and used it.
09-14-2013, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
I don't understand why someone uses a PC with all the virus related problems. I work now since 1985 with the Mac and never had problems with viruses ;-)
Because PCs tend to be better supported & are inherently cheaper to purchase.
09-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Ah, the good old security through obscurity argument
09-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Has anyone who has noticed improvements in AF with the new firmware confirmed if the AF fine adjustment needs to be checked/re-adjusted? I saw a few comments on the news post about this and wondering if I should check my K-5, which I just updated from 1.14 to 1.15 today. I'm planning to go shooting tomorrow and I have recently re-calibrated my AF lenses on firmware 1.14.
09-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I haven't heard back from Pentax but it has been reported upthread that Symantec (Norton) has tested the files and put an "all clear" flag in the next AV update. In other words, the file is fine, the problem was with the Norton scan not recognizing it and treating it as unknown and potentially malicious. I just went ahead and used it.
What is an "AV update", and when does that happen?
09-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
What is an "AV update", and when does that happen?
Norton 360 Security package has an automatic update feature that downloads and installs new information from Symantec regularly to keep the threat definition tables current. Part of how a good antivirus program keeps up with new threats is to frequently add newly discovered virus and other malicious software definitions to the standards that are checked each time a scan is performed on the computer. Symantec - and other good antivirus companies - make new information available frequently, often more than once a week. I have mine set to query their website for such updates every time I boot up or every day, whichever comes first, and it downloads any new definitions it finds through the "Update" feature. Symantec has said they will put information in the next update which verifies the Pentax firmware upgrade is "safe" so it will not trigger an alert when spotted in a scan.