Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5II white balance - auto vs manual

I generally have white balance set to auto, but have noticed that I also need to adjust it quite often in Lightroom afterwards to get proper white balance. I am wondering if there is a known issue with the AWB on the K-5II, or should I just be using manual all the time, or if I am doing something else wrong. Any assistance/guidance would be most helpful. Thanks.

09-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Auto can never be perfect in every situation, but it is usually close enough to get a good starting point. Of course manual will usually be better, you're specifically telling it what white is instead of letting it guess. It just comes down to which you would rather do, spend the time with a grey card setting a manual white balance or spend the time later in post.
09-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Auto can never be perfect in every situation, but it is usually close enough to get a good starting point.
This. Same with any camera.

I use AWB most times but do keep a small grey card in my camera bag to use in tricky lighting situations to take some lighting reference shots at the scene. Even if it is pretty reliable, the AWB (or even a manual WB setting) often looks wrong in post, so I then use my grey card shots to help tune the WB in Lightroom.
09-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have time to set up the shot (such as with a portrait) it's better to use an ExpoDisc ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc White Balance, which is the easiest and often best (since it even sets the out-of-the-camera WB correctly on your JPEGs, if you shoot JPG+RAW like I do). The aforementioned gray card will also work.

If you do get an ExpoDisc, the standard practice is to buy one the same size as your largest lens' filter threads (commonly 77mm with Pentax; sometimes 82mm with Sigma). You can hold it over any smaller size lens (except the FA31 with its non-retractable built-in hood) and it works fine.

09-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If you have time to set up the shot (such as with a portrait) it's better to use an ExpoDisc ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc White Balance, which is the easiest and often best (since it even sets the out-of-the-camera WB correctly on your JPEGs, if you shoot JPG+RAW like I do). The aforementioned gray card will also work.

If you do get an ExpoDisc, the standard practice is to buy one the same size as your largest lens' filter threads (commonly 77mm with Pentax; sometimes 82mm with Sigma). You can hold it over any smaller size lens (except the FA31 with its non-retractable built-in hood) and it works fine.
You can make a pretty good version of this using a couple UV filters and a white coffee filter. I made one as a temporary solution and it worked so well it became permanent.
09-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use to carry a gray card for those times when the lighting varied, but now I just use a white coffee filter to make a custom white balance and save it in the camera for when I need it.
Here is a link that explains it pretty good.
Product Comparison: White Balance Filters (Professional Photographer Magazine Web Exclusives)
09-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, I just a rubber band around the coffee filter & lens to hold it.