Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 or K-5II Which one to get?

Hello to all,

I am a long time Canon user, came across a K-30 and wow!

I am looking to move to K-5 or K-5 II, because the battery life (short) and shutter noise (loud) on the K-30, the price difference between both bodies is >$100. I have compared both bodies on paper at dpreview.com and snapsort.com, however I am looking for advise from people that have hands on experience.

From reading it looks like the K-5II has a better screen and AF in low light.

dpreview shows in the comparison that the K-5 has better:
  • Metering & focus accuracy
  • Image quality (raw)
  • Image quality (jpeg)
  • Performance
  • Movie / video mode
Current lenes that I have:
  • Pentax DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL
  • SMC Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
  • Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical

Thank you for your help and input.

09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k5 and k5 II have the same specs and hardware (literally) except for the af module and the screen cover. I would go for the newer model since it's more readily available.

The K-30 is better in some ways (video and live view) but worse in others. If you don't want to be making any compromises, I'd recommend waiting for the next flagship model to come out (due this year).

See our in depth reviews of the K-30, K-50, and K-5II on the homepage for more details.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Korg Quote
  • Metering & focus accuracy
  • Image quality (raw)
  • Image quality (jpeg)
  • Performance
  • Movie / video mode
You can't compare the dpreview ratings like this. It's not fixed ratings but is relative against competition at the time of the review.
It just show that K-5 II has tougher competition than k-5 had. FI the improvement of Nikon D7000 to D7100 is larger than the improvement of Pentax K-5 to K-5 II
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do low light shooting, the k5ii is the one to get. It seems more accurate than the k5 in artificial light and there were a couple relatively rare/annoying QC issues with the k5 that the k5ii doesn't seem to have (lens release button coming off or the shutter going off by itself). Also, the k5ii has a bit better tracking focus - still not 7d level, but it is better than the k5.

Looks like you've got some decent glass - next up - try out the da15 or FA77 or DA21 depending on your shooting style. I have the k5iis and it's just an awesome camera.

09-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

I had a similar choice with a $250 difference in price and still chose the k52s over the older body.
I'm very happy with it and the only thing I miss was my Canon 7D's AF system - which rarely got used to its potential for action with me anyway.
09-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Korg Quote
Yeah, about dpreview, please don't read dprev for Pentax. They banned me on their Facebook page, because I commented on their Facebook picture to complete the review of Pentax K-5 II. I mean seriously a Canon Point and Shoot comes out they would do a review in a second! It took them ages to do review on K-5 II.

Plus - If you are looking for recommendations, please get the K-5 II. See if you can find an offer for it. Oh yeah, nothing is "better: on K-5 (It is the predecessor), K-5II is exact same specs etc. However has minor upgrades.

Cheers!
09-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The main advantage of the K-5II is that it has much more precise and consistent autofocus in all levels of light, but especially in low levels. I have no idea if it is faster than the K-5, but it is very quick and decisive. Also, from what I have seen, it may be a tad sharper. I don't know why this should be. Perhaps they tweaked the sensor or the AA filter. (Of course, the K-5IIs has no AA filter, which some people think is an advantage.) And the gapless rear LCD screen looks better as well.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 09-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
09-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

Korg,
I am new to the forum and to the Pentax. I just bought yestedy a K-5 and I have no experience. The only think I can tell is: Adam suggest to wait for the new model late this year. Consider tht in this field there shall be always be a new upcoming model. Following this philosophy you shall neve have a camera and, most important, you shall never have the photos you could do with it.
I know K-5 is not the last state of the art of Pentax but I saw several photos made with this camera by a professional photographer for a contest and they were printed in A2 format and they were wonderful. Cartier Bresson did not have the last model of Leika, I suppose.......
Ciao
Ezio
09-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

Go for K5II without hesitations