Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Settings?

There are many settings on the K-5 and i guess all have their favourites. But have you discovered any settings you canīt do without after you have used your camera for a while?

I myself only know maybe what 10% of them do so i would appreciate some tips.

09-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
shooting Raw
09-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
shooting Raw
That's what I was going say even before reading your post. And "allow aperture ring", which I've never understood why it has to be chosen.
09-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

RAW, 2 second timer, enable aperture ring, iso 80, live view w/magnification.

09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Does mounting the da15 ltd count as a setting?
09-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fast Shot mode - my User Setting which turns off almost all in-camera processing and other things to shoot as fast as possible - great for panning and action shots. So I guess USER MODE is a great feature.

Now I need to make one for tripod shots since I keep forgetting to turn the timer mode off...
09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The thing with settings is that if you want best performance, you need to change them according to the photo. Spot metering can be great in one photo, but another photo might require matrix metering. 2 sec timer is great if you have a tripod, but in another situation you might need burst mode to quickly take as many shots as possible.
The best way to learn the settings is to simply envision a photo, then try to take it. And then figure out what settings get you closer to that vision.

Edit: But yes, enable aperture ring is one of those things that you should turn on and leave it as such. I also choose colour space to be sRGB. Raw format should be dng - it is more versatile than pef. Use P mode at first, then learn to use Av. Metering center-weighted, and focus mode AF.S. White balance set to AWB at first, but switch it to Daylight in daylight and to Tungsten in artificial light (and adjust it in raw editor if you shoot raw). CTE for sunsets. Also, Catch-in-focus is a great feature if you use old manual lenses.
Also, here is a useful starting point:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k5/walkthrough.html#recommended

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-25-2013 at 11:37 AM.
09-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

TaV mode
MTF program line
Catch in focus
09-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Dedicating the Raw/Fx button to exposure bracketing.
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Raw format should be dng - it is more versatile than pef.
Has been discussed so many times and is simply untrue. You can always convert a PEF to DNG, never the other way around and with ample software available (both commercial as well as open-source) that reads PEF and will do so into the foreseeable future the above is just Adobe scare tactics that people seem to have bought. The newer Pentax's do only DNG so the choice is already made there but on the rest, PEF is as versatile as it gets.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
Dedicating the Raw/Fx button to exposure bracketing.
Fully seconded! I have it set up that way too. (just wish there was a fast way to get the camera back to "normal" shooting again after...)
09-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Highlight protection for sunny days.
09-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Highlight protection for sunny days.

What setting is that?
09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peos99 Quote
What setting is that?
Check out this page: Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Walkthrough - PentaxForums.com .
Highlight protection is the second from the top in the left column in the control panel.
That webpage also discusses other useful settings such as quick zoom and one-push bracketing.

Highlight protection gives you more detail in the highlights, which is useful in high-contrast scenes.
It improves things like bright clouds, white shirts, hair highlights, sunlit windows etc, at the expense
of a bit more shadow noise. That's usually not a problem in plentyful light but it might be in
low light, so disable highlight protection in low light. Low light is usually not that contrasty anyway.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
You can always convert a PEF to DNG
Why would you want to introduce another step into the workflow?
09-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Why would you want to introduce another step into the workflow?
I don't as all of my software supports PEF anyway and will do so indefinitely. The argument just contradicts the fact that DNG would supposedly be "more versatile". If I'd ever feel the need to move to software that does not support PEF, I would not be limited as the option to convert all my PEF files to DNG will always exist. The reverse however is not true.