Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you replace your K5 with the new camera.
Not replacing my K5 8453.85%
Trading/Selling K5 to get K3 1710.90%
Buying K3 and keeping K5 5535.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Can't really think of a reason to replace my K-5 until the day it dies.

And certainly not with a fictional camera

(Btw, the rumours section is a bizarre universe I stay out of!)
Agreed - I thought stuff like this belonged in the rumor section........

09-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

I`m trying not to be over enthausiastic but I`m tempted. It`s rumoured to have 24MP, more and smaller focuspoints, faster AF and tracking combined with dual cardslots which, if true, would make this a very serious upgrade for my K-5 classic and my kind of shooting...I probably keep the K5 as backup, as my K20d is also aging. If the batterygrip of the K-5 is shared with the new model, it `ll be a nobrainer.
09-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

More rumors......argh.......
09-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

The reported specs of interest....

24 Mp - should boost the lw/ph up to about 2400 lw/ph, lines up to acceptably close to D600 numbers at 2500 lw/ph. That would make upgrading to a D600 like upgrading from a k5II to a K5IIs or IMHO, hardly worth the effort.
27 cross type focus points - hopefully creating smaller AF points and more selectable points
AF tracking - what the BiF and Wildlife guys have been asking for since forever...
Possibility of a big leap forward in the AF system.

According to the gripes and complaints on the forum this addresses the most common issues. For me, those are home run numbers...

For me, it pushes the magnification level of the K-3 ahead of the D800. The K-5 and D800 were roughly tied, producing about the same MP with the D800 in crop mode. The 24 MP would give the K-3 a larger cropped image using the same focal length lens. An advantage it hasn't had since the D800 was introduced. It would also mean a 200 lw/ph advantage for a K-3 image over a D800 crop image, so not only larger, but higher resolution.

If Ricoh had a modern AF system under development and actually swapped out the old Pentax stuff, that could be a huge win for the Pentax branded cameras.

There are lots of exciting possibilities here. Hopefully DPR and others will have some some reports on IQ etc. out for the release date. Some rumours claim reviewers already have the cameras in their hands.

Last edited by normhead; 09-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Hard to say yet.....but I have been so pleased with my K5 (original) that I would certainly be interested in the new model. I use my K% mostly for wildlife shooting and my little Toy Camera X20 for everything else, so as Norm pointed out, the new model might be just what I need! FF......honestly, it's not for me, but I do have hopes for those that want or need it. It's always hard for me to tell the difference between "want and need"? Nothing wrong with want...I have tons of stuff I wanted, but don't really need!

Regards!
09-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
More rumors......argh.......
Sorry, can`t help it...ffwd to 8th october
09-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Give me more primes and I'm set with my K5 original!

09-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
pdo

Currently shooting with 2 k30 and I am fine with it's performance. Don't plan to upgrade until the K3 is at the end of it's life cycle. ̀

09-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I probably hang back & won't be upgrading , keeping my k5 and k5 ii s. I'm currently saving my coins for a FF system possibly Nikon D800E.
09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have a friend over on Flickr that was shooting studio shots with his K5 (original) but finally went to the Nikon D600 and their flash system. In my opinion, it has enhanced his work considerably, and I am guessing that a large part of that is the much better flash system. I do have to say that his previous portrait work with the K5 was excellent to my eyes, but I think he got the results with much more difficulty than with the Nikon set up.
For some like him, very good shooters that are serious about their work and expect it to pay dividends, a FF Pentax and better flash system might make perfect sense, it appears FF did for him.
As it is my belief, from what I see and read here on PF, the current range of Pentax cameras might hold an edge over FF for most shooters and their particular style of shooting. All of life is a trade off......for almost a half century Mrs Rupert has been lovely to view, diligent in all her endeavors, loyal and dependable...but not much of a cook! It all depends on your needs!

Regards! It's OK Mrs Rupert! I still love you! You're a better cook than I am a photographer!
[IMG] [/IMG]
10-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You're a better cook than I am a photographer!
Nice photo, Rupert! Is this Mrs. Rupert? She is lovely. So I am thinking that the cooking is really pretty good!
10-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am shooting with a K-7/K-x combo actually but no, I won't be swapping out the idea of a K5II for the new DSLR. The K5II I want to get is more than sufficient for my needs, a significant upgrade, and I am going to take full advantage of the fact that people will upgrade and get one instead. If I had one at this point I'd still say that. I'd definitely keep it. I'm actually doing fine with the cameras I've got actually. The only reason I want to step up and get a K5II is because the AF and high iso are better. Right now I have to use two cameras to be able to do all I need to do. The K-7 suits me because it's weather resistant but I still have to use the K-x a lot for any higher iso work. Both those things on the K5II are excellent and I would like to make that the main camera in my kit eventually. I don't need a more recent camera really. It's just not worth the extra $700 it would likely cost me.

By Spring I will be able to get a new K5II for under $550 and I will likely have that much saved. I'd have it almost now if it hadn't been for a certain tiny Siamese furball conning me into adopting him and his unexpected and not inexpensive vet bills. He set me back a fair bit, but I'm not unhappy. He's been totally worth it, waiting a bit longer, grin. But most of what was in the Hello Kitty bank for my K-5II did unfortunately have to go to pay for the new kitty. I'm working on replacing it but it will be Spring until I can manage the K5II. I can't just drop $500 on a new camera right now. $500 is major money for me with what I make and I don't have that high of a limit on my Visa either that I can just afford to charge one. I wish. I'd probably go for it.

I'm going to pick up one eventually and use the K-7 as backup body, probably give my K-x to my niece who is currently using an *ist and progressing rapidly with her own photography. I hate to give it up. I dearly love my K-x, but she will get a lot of use out of it and I do want to keep on encouraging her to practice. She's will grow out of the *ist eventually or it will die on her and she's got some real talent I think.

Me? If I can just get there I'll definitely be happy with a K5II and the K-7 in my bag for quite some time to come. But I'd rather just get the K5II and spend that extra $700 on a good prime AF lens in the 85mm-100mm range at some point. Being into portraiture for work it just make sense for me to get one eventually and I could never afford both. Better the K5II next year and a better portrait lens the year after that than a newer cam and nothing else. I need the higher end glass much more than I need a higher end body really...

Last edited by magkelly; 10-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.
10-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #43

unless it has dramatically better IQ, probably not at first. I could be convinced, tho love my K5.
10-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #44

For me, it would be all about the DR. If the K3 improves noticeably there over the K5iis, then I would consider it. It would give me room to turn my K7 into an IR camera though, and that would be a bucketload of fun.
10-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I've just bought a K5 II from the Australian importer, so I'm extra happy with buying from the most reputable dealer. Also, the K5 II is a big step up from the K7 I had. I won't be upgrading for at least 5 years, at least that's what I told the wife.

Regards