Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you replace your K5 with the new camera.
Not replacing my K5 8453.85%
Trading/Selling K5 to get K3 1710.90%
Buying K3 and keeping K5 5535.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it looks like my K5 will be going to the Vet's Monday with the "Battery Depleted" issue - with fully charged battery across several batteries. Still turns on, but the camera reports battery going from fully charged to depleted in a couple of shots. But - I have another year on the extended warranty. For $20 is a wonderful deal.

Currently, I am very satisfied and happy with the K5. It all depends on what the K3 actually looks like, how it performs during its first year or so, how the pricing goes, and what may come after it. Where the price for the K5IIs goes. What my funding situation is. Currently, I have been able to save up $600 in my sock drawer - plus the odd loose change in the change bottle (a 5 gallon water bottle) which is currently running at about 7 pounds.

Moving up from the K20 was a very good move - and I liked the K20 a lot, other than the sensor noise. I am still learning a lot and hopefully getting better with the K5 - however I still have a wide margin to go. I usually leap frog at least one model, and I really see no compelling issue, feature or capability that the K5 is not providing me. Right now I see the K5IIs as nearly equivalent, if I really needed to get another replacement body, and the price is coming into my maximum threshold. I will spend more on a lens than on a body.

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-06-2013 at 04:44 AM.
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Oh well......... wrong end of cycle

I just received my K5 iiS a few weeks ago. I suspected I'd see the K3 hit, but not this soon. Anyone want a K5 iiS barely out of the box? I paid $900, and see the sale price at B&H now is $1300. I'd pay the difference, with a slight ding on my K5 iiS if there were a buyer. Maybe I need to prepare a Pentax Forum and/or Ebay ad?
10-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #48
Forum Member

I would have heavily considered staying with Pentax had this been a FF, but as someone who optimistically invested in Pentax gear I will likely be selling my equipment and picking up a Nikon. Overall I'm just not happy with the quality for the money I spend. As far as I know the SDM issue with the DA* line still hasn't been addressed and I simply won't invest any more than I already have. I see better shots with glass from Sigma and Tamron, and if I'm going to go third-party I may as well have a FF to go with them. I think it'll be difficult enough getting a decent price for what I have now. That's the only incentive to stay with Pentax. I tried following a Monarch butterfly yesterday and although I kept it in-frame and fairly centered, the camera simply would not pick it up. I eventually lost it, and what would likely have been a great shot.
10-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #49
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Something I'd consider buying is a K-01iis or a K-02 or something built like the K-01 - maybe even smaller if that's possible. I'm pretty sure I could fit that with a pancake prime into the pocket of my biking jacket.

10-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #50

If the AF-tracking is VERY much improved I will trade up. Otherwise I will wait for the next generation. My K-5 is only one year old.
10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #51

I do like the number 3. I mean, the number itself. I would love to have a camera numbered "3". Though, reason still prevails, I'll stick to my 5 at least until they bring out a 24x36 sensor format camera.
1) I don't have the money to upgrade to the latest generation of cameras every time they release a new iteration; 2) my 5 is still plenty capable of delivering what I need at the moment, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it.

IF a full-sized sensor camera ever sees the light, I'll keep the 5 and get the newer body for those applications that require a greater format. Untill then, the 5 will serve its purpose alone.

(That doesn't mean I won't play with the 3. I will, at the next photo salon. Then I'll just salivate a little and go home frustrated. But such is life).
10-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Pretty sure the K-5 will be replaced when the new camera becomes available