Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has the K-5 II fixed this list of issues?

As I noted in another thread, I really like the K-5 sensor, especially in low light. However, I seem to have had a number of issues, some of which I see have dogged others, which have made me less confident than I like that I can grab this camera and get a shot. I'm thinking of upgrading to the K-5 IIs, now that the K-3 is out and K-5 series prices are likely to drop even more.

Some of these have been addressed elsewhere, but I'm curious whether the K-5II/s has solved all of the list:

1) Much-discussed low Tungsten light front focus. Frustrating. Even the Kx is better. Front focus in other conditions as well.

2) Refusal to lock focus (have the hex symbol stay on) with certain lenses. The FA 35/2 sometimes fails to lock in very bright and very dim light. Oddly, it may lock in low light with another lens that is slower than the FA 35. The oft reported problem with the DA 17-70 failing to lock at 70mm happens only on the K-5 for me. This happens with other lenses, but less consistently.

3) Wireless P-TTL is unreliable. Sometimes (fairly often) the flashes will underexpose if the on-camera flash is off, and used as a controller only. Change the setting for the on-camera flash in wireless to "on," and the exposure is more often right on. As a result, I tend to use the K20d for wireless P-TTL. Even on-camera, P-TTL is much more inconsistent in general with the K-5 than the K20d.

4) Use of a cable release or wireless remote plugged into the remote jack may not work and require a reset. (Never happens with K10/K20 and a cable) This does not happen often, but it is very embarrassing when you have lined up a group shot, and the camera won't work.

10-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the reports and specs from Pentax:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Nope
4. Never heard of it
10-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've experienced #2 with both of our K-5II cams. VERY annoying. It worse than the K5.
10-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
I've experienced #2 with both of our K-5II cams. VERY annoying. It worse than the K5.
Sorry to hear that.

10-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
From the reports and specs from Pentax:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Nope
4. Never heard of it
Are the wireless issues with the K-5 II similar to those of the K-5?
10-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with my K-5 II:

Issue 1, tungsten low light. I have calibrated the AF Fine Adjustment for all of my lenses. I have not noticed any issue with AF in tungsten lighting, dim or bright.

Issue 2, fail to lock focus. My 50-135 occasionally fails to lock focus at or near the long end (135mm). Seems predominant in low-contrast scenes at mid-to-longer distances. AF will lock if I zoom out or manually focus to infinity then AF.

I can't comment on the other issues.

- Craig
10-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The auto focus seems much more precise and certain with the K5 II compared to the original K5. It definitely locks in a lot lower light, but it does require some contrast to lock (as would be expected). I don't know about the second two issues you mention.

10-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On my K-5, the focus lock problem seems lens related as much as related to quantity of light. The K-5 AF does not play as well with the FA35/2 and DA17-70, and DA16-50 as other bodies. At first, I thought the SDM was dying on the 17-70 or I had gotten a bad 16-50 (both still a possibility), but why reject my low light, screw-drive workhorse, the FA 35/2? A couple of weeks ago, I was shooting in Bryant Park in NYC on an overcast morning, but at around EV 9-10. I ended up shooting with manual focus (basically at infinity) as the K5 refused to confirm the FA35 and release the shutter. Granted, contrast was fairly low, but not that low. The AF has been a big disappointment on this body, even with firmware updates.
10-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as focus lock, I find the K-5IIs much more decisive than the K-5. I do shoot in some fairly low light - always outside and sometimes near dusk - and there is no more focus hunting. And once it locks focus it is actually in focus!

There is a difference with SDM vs. screw drive lenses just a bit. My primary lens is the DA* 60-250. In lower light it will sometimes make a very small quick readjustment after it comes close to the initial lock, but when it locks it is in focus every time. In normal daylight it just locks right in.
10-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

1) Fixed.
2) I never experienced any of this with my lenses (but then I don't own the ones you've mentioned). Seems odd to me that this would be lens-specific, though.
3) I believe there is still an issue, but it doesn't bother me as I use manual power on my flashes. This will soon be almost as quick as P-TTL when radio triggers with remote power control will become available (both Cactus and Yongnuo have announced these).
4) Never experienced this, but I haven't used a wired remote on the K-5 II often.
10-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Col
Veteran Member

4, Nope still can't get my wireless remote into the remote jack.