Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
colour balance between 2 k 5 bodies

not sure if this is the correct forum for this but please advise or move if not.

I have 2 x k 5 bodies, looking at a sample subject of a painted polystyrene head with a wig shot under same light and with same lens on each body and using same camera card , both bodies set identically as far as I can see there is a obvious difference in the tones,

i tried creating colour profiles with my colour passport checker but that does not seem to fix it either

i can upload images that show this as jpegs and the test color passport checker images as well is that what you will want to see to give a opinion?

if so what size as i will have to turn them to jepgs to upload them

10-30-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok files attached here exif data should be intact see if you can spot why?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

are you using auto white balance or the specific one for tungsten light? If itīs the latter, take a look at option 10 in menu C 2, "White balance adjustment range", where you can choose between Auto (automaticaly adjusts white balance even when light source is specified) and Fixed.

If both cameras are in AWB, make sure they are both without any corrections. (click WB button "left arrow", then "right arrow" to access color tunning and green button to reset it)

Also, from exif data, metering mode is different between the cameras, and so thereīs 1/2 stop difference in shutter speed.
10-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There might also be an option for tungsten WB "strong correction", which can be on/off. And I assume you are shooting raw, but just to be clear, the jpeg rendering can be modified (the bright, vibrant, portrait, landscape, etc. options) and it affects colours.
The other thing that may affect the image is the type of metering used (spot, matrix).
And sometimes even a small shift in viewing angle can trigger different metering and WB, or capture light that reflects differently.

Of course, it might also be a lens that renders more warmly for some reason. Or a filter. It would be odd if the camera's sensors would be calibrated differently

10-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi i also thought after I posted about the awb setting in both bodies so I took the third grey from the left on one of the checker images to create a white bal and applied it to that checker image and the two head images it improved the similarity between them but did not get them the same.

yes all shot in raw so no jpeg in camera settings applied. the images I uploaded are as shot then converted in LR to jpeg no other adjustments made in LR

you are looking at what i first saw
10-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it's a white balance problem, if i use auto wb in LR they come out the same , so obviously the auto wb in both bodies are not the same although both are set to mid point

i will have to retry taking the images on a fixed wb setting and see what happens.
10-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
are you using auto white balance or the specific one for tungsten light? If itīs the latter, take a look at option 10 in menu C 2, "White balance adjustment range", where you can choose between Auto (automaticaly adjusts white balance even when light source is specified) and Fixed.

If both cameras are in AWB, make sure they are both without any corrections. (click WB button "left arrow", then "right arrow" to access color tunning and green button to reset it)

Also, from exif data, metering mode is different between the cameras, and so thereīs 1/2 stop difference in shutter speed.
the body B was in spot metering and the other in centre weighted i will see if that caused the WB difference

10-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What temperature and tint settings are showing for the various images in LR when WB is set in the Develop module to "As shot"? This will give a clue as to how each body is interpreting the scene.