Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #1

Image of "lightning" instead of the shot

THis is weird. Shortly after I got my K5 about 2 years ago I got a similar effect to the image attached. Then I used the 50-200 WR, and my first reaction was panic- had I just ruined my new camera by attaching the lens with the power switch on? Then I calmed down and everything went back to normal.

Two weeks ago I shot a haunted house for our Scout Troop. In the middle of the shots, using the K5 and a new Sigma 1.4 50mm, (and no switching on/off) I found this shot! Very spooky. I also had a Metz 58 AF-2 flash but it was likely powered off .Has anyone else seen something like this? (I obviously added the text later.)

Derek

Attached Images

11-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have occasionally seen similar issues posted on the forums. I've not had it with any Pentax cameras although I did years ago with a super-zoom bridge camera. In all cases where a resolution was determined it was a write error with the memory card. Reformatting the card or replacing it made the problem go away.
11-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Jatrax. I, coincidentally reformatted yesterday. It was fun to exploit as a title page though for the haunted house theme.
11-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That looks like a long exposure in a dark area with one or more small light sources and the camera was moving.

Got some EXIF data to go with it?

11-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only other thing to think about is if there was an LED or laser light in part of the frame that totally overexposed that section. I really do not think that is the case here but I've seen shots of weird things that occur in venues with high intensity lasers and so on. But that really looks like a simple write error. If it occurs again I would consider getting a new card.
11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I've never seen a write error anything like that. Usually it is big blocks of missing or corrupted data, not anything curvy or natural looking.

I have bumped the shutter button in a dark area with the camera hanging from my neck and produced something almost exactly like this, except more red.
11-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I've never seen a write error anything like that. Usually it is big blocks of missing or corrupted data, not anything curvy or natural looking.
Good point Elliott, you might be right about a bright light source. And I agree usually a write error has some data, just corrupted. This looks like it is pure white. I was looking at the areas that have black as corrupted data but looking again I guess that it is part of the text. But if it is part of the text why is it not overlaid onto the image instead of hidden by the white area? It looks like a lottery scratch-it ticket.

11-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That looks like a long exposure in a dark area with one or more small light sources and the camera was moving.

Got some EXIF data to go with it?
Sounds logical.

And to the OP: changing lenses with the powerswitch on isn`t a problem, happened to me lots of times
11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Good point Elliott, you might be right about a bright light source. And I agree usually a write error has some data, just corrupted. This looks like it is pure white. I was looking at the areas that have black as corrupted data but looking again I guess that it is part of the text. But if it is part of the text why is it not overlaid onto the image instead of hidden by the white area? It looks like a lottery scratch-it ticket.
I assume the white part was deliberate censorship.
11-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume the white part was deliberate censorship.
OK, so the cool picture with squiggly lines was NOT intentional? I agree 100% that's just point sources, long exposure and camera movement, but I thought the OP did it intentionally. Quite a nice effect actually. I thought the OP was concerned about the white blob.

I will go back to sleep now, sorry for the interruption.
11-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts. I can clear up a few questions. I posted this from work and the original shot, without the text , is on my home computer. I did "white out" the name of the Scout Troop- running their website, I verge on paranoia regarding the kids' privacy and it wasn't relevant here, so I just used Paint to un-identify the troop. And I had not thought about the black edge to the printing but, yes, Paintshop Pro did that. I also did not think of checking the EXIF but I will do that next week. There were no lasers or long exposures. My best guess was that I was shooting in low light without flash and was getting very noisy, but reasonable pictures (given that it was nearly dark) .

ANd, yes, I thought it was pretty cool but I don't know how it happened yet! EXIF might be a clue.
11-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
long exposures.
long exposure is a relative term. I would guess that was an accidental shot while you were raising or lowering the camera. So you were not set, the camera was moving rapidly and the speed was maybe 1/8 or even 1/15th. That's maybe not 'long exposure' by some definitions but certainly long enough to cause what you see in that image. Check the EXIF for your shutter speed that will be your clue as to what happened.
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #13

Original Poster
Sorry to take so long to get back here- have been out of town for a bit. The EXIF did show a 30 second exposure after all!
Attached Images