Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Sony Nex shots better?

Hi again
As a K5iis owner, I fully expected to be able to 'compete' with my friend and her Sony Nex (not sure which model). We both used the same ISO, shutter speed, and old (but great) 1.8 50mm manual lenses. BUT her photos came out much clearer (less noise) AND brighter. Why is this?

11-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Same lens? Not every lens is equal at equal apertures, some transmit less light than others so there will be some minor differences there.

Other than that it could just come down to JPEG settings in the cameras, since I'm assuming you're not talking about RAW images, the K-5 might be on a more neutral tone setting.

Hard to know for sure without seeing the images though.
11-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you could post samples of the same scene from both cameras that might help the discussion.
11-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catherine Quote
As a K5iis owner, I fully expected to be able to 'compete' with my friend and her Sony Nex
As a K-5 and long-time NEX owner (both with probably the same 16MP Sony sensor), the K-5 is certainly able to 'compete' with the NEX. And in many ways, do better, especially at high ISO.

You should probably look into how you have your JPEG settings for your K-5II if you want more brightness, and your noise reduction settings if you want less noise.

The default NEX settings usually deliver bright colours and punchy contrast, and in-camera sharpness is turned up a bit too, but it is all totally configurable. You could make your K-5II output look like the NEX's, and vice versa, if you wanted.

11-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As a K-5 and long-time NEX owner (both with probably the same 16MP Sony sensor), the K-5 is certainly able to 'compete' with the NEX. And in many ways, do better, especially at high ISO.

You should probably look into how you have your JPEG settings for your K-5II if you want more brightness, and your noise reduction settings if you want less noise.

The default NEX settings usually deliver bright colours and punchy contrast, and in-camera sharpness is turned up a bit too, but it is all totally configurable. You could make your K-5II output look like the NEX's, and vice versa, if you wanted.
Thank you! This is very helpful. And I will try to get 2 photos to load.
Best,
catherine
11-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Same lens? Not every lens is equal at equal apertures, some transmit less light than others so there will be some minor differences there.

Other than that it could just come down to JPEG settings in the cameras, since I'm assuming you're not talking about RAW images, the K-5 might be on a more neutral tone setting.

Hard to know for sure without seeing the images though.
No, not the same lens. I'll ask her exactly what she has :-)
11-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Only to NEX priests....

Do post the sample photos.
AFAIK, the nex turns up noise reduction highly at high iso and at low settings uses more aggressive sharpening.
Sample photos from both will help everyone here get a better idea of how to help you out

11-29-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both cameras possibly have the same sensor, depends on the type of NEX. So what differences could possibly be left when the same lens and same settings are applied? Only the mirror and SR. I can see how those can induce blur, but not noise.
11-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

The K5 IIs should more than able to "compete" with NEX. According to DXOMark the K5 II has higher dynamic range and better low light ISO performance than the NEX-5R, for example.

Keep in mind that your Pentax might under-expose by default, so you can dial the exposure compensation up a little for a brighter image.

As far as the noise on the image, check your JPEG setting, try the same shot with another lens, somebody else mentioned about checking your NR (noise reduction) setting, and yea, try to post these two photos here