Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is Samyang 14mm compatible to K-5 IIS?

Hi Guys,

I recently bought K-5 IIS and this is my first DSLR. I'm very new to camera lenses and i recently ordered a samyang 14mm F2.8 (Link - Samyang Lens 14mm f/2.8 for Canon, Olympus 4/3, Pentax, Samsung NX, Sony (parts and service warranty) ) and tried to mount it on my K-5 IIS but it is not working and i cannot perform any image capture at all.

There is a "-F" image on the top of my LCD panel and it cant perform any shutter at all nor change to live view finder. I did'nt change any settings at all on my camera.

Is the lens not working? or do i need to change some settings for it to work?

12-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds like the aperture ring on the lens is not in the 'A' position. There's a ring at the base of the lens with a little silver button, an 'A', and numbers. Press the button and turn the ring all the way to the right.
12-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
I did turn it but no luck at all.
12-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Lets start at the beginning. Did you get the For Pentax version of that lens, or some other mount? It must be K-mount, made for Pentax. And it needs to 'click' into place when you mount it.
Next, go to camera Menu and go to the last option where it says Enable aperture ring. Enable that thing. Aperture ring is great.
Now on your lens, you have a focus ring and an aperture ring. On the aperture ring, you have a little pin that you need to hold down, and then you can set the lens to A mode. This will allow the camera to take control over the aperture.
When you turn the camera On, set the focal length to 12mm and go to Av mode. The aperture number should now be displayed.

If not, dismount the lens and look at the camera and lens mount/contacts. Make sure the contacts are clean and the lens aperture lever is working normally. You check this by taking the lens out of A mode and pushing the lever gently to see if it stops down

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-10-2013 at 07:04 AM.
12-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Lets start at the beginning. Did you get the For Pentax version of that lens, or some other mount?
Next, go to camera Menu and go to the last option where it says Enable aperture ring. Enable that thing. Aperture ring is great.
Now on your lens, you have a focus ring and an aperture ring. On the aperture ring, you have a little pin that you need to hold down, and then you can set the lens to A mode. This will allow the camera to take control over the aperture.
When you turn the camera On, set the focal length to 12mm and go to Av mode. The aperture number should now be displayed.

If not, dismount the lens and look at the camera and lens mount/contacts. Make sure the contacts are clean and the lens aperture lever is working normally.
Thanks Man!

The problem is i forgot to configure the aperture ring which prohibited the shutter to capture images and configure the focal length.
12-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Glad things worked out
Now just figure out how the focus ring is calibrated and you're good to go! (there are some tutorials for this online. Apparently, the Samyang 14mm do not really have infinity at the infinity mark, but rather somewhere between 2m and 3m. But it depends on your copy. If you want tack-sharp photos, you will need to learn your focus ring).
12-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Glad things worked out
Now just figure out how the focus ring is calibrated and you're good to go! (there are some tutorials for this online. Apparently, the Samyang 14mm do not really have infinity at the infinity mark, but rather somewhere between 2m and 3m. But it depends on your copy. If you want tack-sharp photos, you will need to learn your focus ring).
I have read that on the lens review page and i'll try to use it on street photography so i can grasp it time to time. I'll try to search some tutorials on the web aswell might be handy while busy at work.

Thanks again

12-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Depth of field calculator:
Online Depth of Field Calculator

This strikes me as optimistic. I typically use this lens at f8 and set the focus at the tick mark near infinity.