Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Raws displaying brighter than JPEGs

It seems that the raws display about half a stop brighter on the camera LCD than JPEGs on the LCD or raws and JPEGs on a computer screen. Does anybody know if I have some setting wrong or is this just like it is... I somehow don't remember it being like this two weeks ago.

12-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there were threads about this inconsistency before.
It might be either shadow and highlight protection (turn both off) or the jpeg processing mode (try "natural" instead of "bright")
12-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think there were threads about this inconsistency before.
It might be either shadow and highlight protection (turn both off) or the jpeg processing mode (try "natural" instead of "bright")
All DR settings were off, and I use Natural. Do you have links by any chance? I haven't managed to find anything so I posted here.
12-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I never see that on camera but I notice in LR that when the images are down loading from the card that as they appear they are brighter for a split second then change to the final raw exposure , I have often wished that the brighter one was obtainable as both my k5,s and k30 and in fact all the previous models I gave had did this same under exposure which we all know Pentax seem to do .

12-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I never see that on camera but I notice in LR that when the images are down loading from the card that as they appear they are brighter for a split second then change to the final raw exposure , I have often wished that the brighter one was obtainable as both my k5,s and k30 and in fact all the previous models I gave had did this same under exposure which we all know Pentax seem to do .
I see the same darkening effect happen with ACDsee as well. I always thought that the program was somehow "dumbing down" the raw files.
12-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've just tried this again - and it doesn't happen!! Haven't changed any settings whatsoever except 1 stop of exposure (ISO200>ISO400). Maybe it behaves differently at night than in the morning?
12-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Haha maybe its the change of season, winter just began!
It might be the software you are using, though. Each software interprets raw files in its own way, but the jpegs are more standardized. And you can set up defaults which only trigger in some cases. For example, in Lightroom you can make it "brighten up" photos taken with a certain camera and lens, etc.

12-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I was viewing the raws in the default Windows Photo Whatever (w/ DNG codec), and they looked identical to the JPEGs on screen which in turn look the same on the camera's LCD.
So... I don't know. That said, I have two weeks of Christmas vacation to lollygag around and try to replicate this.
12-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Well, I was viewing the raws in the default Windows Photo Whatever (w/ DNG codec),
Keep in mind that a lot of software like that will only show you the preview jpegs that are embedded in the dng file, it won't actually interpret the raw data. This is why if you set jpeg mode to black and white and shoot raw, the preview thumbnails will look BW, and some software will show them instead of the raw data. But actual raw software will read the raw data and display it normally, not BW (though, maybe you need to click the "BW/Color" button), because raw data is never BW.
12-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I notice in LR that when the images are down loading from the card that as they appear they are brighter for a split second then change to the final raw exposure ,
You are initially seeing the embedded JPG thumbnail until LR can build the Raw data interpretation. My guess is that the OP is viewing the embedded jpg on the camera's LCD.

M
12-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Keep in mind that a lot of software like that will only show you the preview jpegs that are embedded in the dng file, it won't actually interpret the raw data. This is why if you set jpeg mode to black and white and shoot raw, the preview thumbnails will look BW, and some software will show them instead of the raw data. But actual raw software will read the raw data and display it normally, not BW (though, maybe you need to click the "BW/Color" button), because raw data is never BW.
I know that, but what was displayed wasn't the preview JPEG, because you could zoom in (also, it took its time showing the image). What might be happening is that the viewer processes the raw according to the in-camera JPEG settings. But the problem remains: which is the right exposure? The JPEG or the DNG? I already have the camera at +0.7 EV Comp. According to those JPEGs I need even more compansation, according to the DNGs I'm fine.
I still haven't been able to replicate this reliably though.