Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BG4 battery grip rear e-dial problem

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have the pin-out read for the BG4 grip? I'm having a problem with an intermittent e-dial. Sometimes the dial will only work for about 4 -5 stops ie it will go from 8 to 9 to 11 to 13 and then back to 8 again, no matter how slowly or quickly I move the dial. Sometimes I can resolve the problem by dismantling and re-attaching the grip, but sometimes that doesn't work and obviously that's a pain. I have noticed that on of the gold pins in the pin array isn't as extended as the rest of the pins, if I had a pin-out read I could see at a glance if that pin is connected to the rear e-dial. I don't want to send the grip in for repair if I can help it as intermittent problems can be very tricky. If there is anyone out the with the pin-out read I'd be grateful. Also if there are other solutions that anyone can suggest that would be helpful also. I have tried moving the dial quickly back and forth to help clean off contacts but that hasn't worked.

NaCl(information or help gratefully accepted)H2O

12-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Some of the pins on the BG4 grip are higher/lower than the majority

If you hold the grip so the Pentax logo is on the left, then look at the four rows of pins, counting row 1 as the front/top and row 4 bottom (closest to you) then the second pin from the right in row 3 is low compared to all others.

I assume the varying heights mean the pins are designed to connect in a sequence, but just guessing.

I've seen reference to issues with intermittent action of the dials, and I seem to remember the solution was a drop of (electrical) contact cleaner, or possibly WD40? I'd research more before following my suggestions though, because as said, it's something I seem to remember as opposed to being 100% sure,

Last edited by JohnX; 12-22-2013 at 07:49 AM.
12-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Some of the pins on the BG4 grip are higher/lower than the majority

If you hold the grip so the Pentax logo is on the left, then look at the four rows of pins, counting row 1 as the front/top and row 4 bottom (closest to you) then the second pin from the right in row 3 is low compared to all others.

I assume the varying heights mean the pins are designed to connect in a sequence, but just guessing.

I've seen reference to issues with intermittent action of the dials, and I seem to remember the solution was a drop of (electrical) contact cleaner, or possibly WD40? I'd research more before following my suggestions though, because as said, it's something I seem to remember as opposed to being 100% sure,
That was the pin I was wondering about, good to know that it's position is normal. Thanks! Do you remember where you read about the contact cleaner? I've searched this forum and found nothing. Thanks for the tip tho and the info about that recessed pin.

NaCl(this is the best source of pentax info on the web)H2O
12-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Here is what I would do . go to this link New D BG4 DBG4 Vertical Battery Grip for Pentax K 7 K7 K5 DSLR Camera 2 D LI90 | eBay buy it . look at the bottom of the listing and see what all comes with it . once you have received.put the new one on your camera to make sure its the grip and not the camera that's not working the grip correctly . Take the old one apart and see how it works . usually it will just need a little metal to metal contact cleaning and its good to go. And for 50.00 you have a new battery AA battery holder and the other goodies you get with this listing.

12-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
That was the pin I was wondering about, good to know that it's position is normal. Thanks! Do you remember where you read about the contact cleaner? I've searched this forum and found nothing. Thanks for the tip tho and the info about that recessed pin.

NaCl(this is the best source of pentax info on the web)H2O
Can't find anything re the grip, but several mentions of contact cleaner/WD-40 being used to 'cure' sticky e-dials on K-R bodies, plus problems being experienced if the grip e-dial(s) were not resting in the detents, i.e. were part way between 'click' positions. Seems it's easy to knock them into this half-way position without realising and the camera subsequently acts strangely, including what you describe.
12-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do not use WD40 it is a lubricant not a electrical cleaner, while it is conductive it is not the best product, since you are in NY go to your local
DIY electrical or pc building outlet or Radio Shack and ask for electrical contact spray, that us the correct product and you can use it safely with out any risk of damage,
When the early K30 bodies had the incorrect grade used on the dials during manufacture most of us fixed them by using that, those who did not believe sent them in and that's all the repair shops used it turned out!
12-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Do not use WD40 it is a lubricant not a electrical cleaner, while it is conductive it is not the best product, since you are in NY go to your local
DIY electrical or pc building outlet or Radio Shack and ask for electrical contact spray, that us the correct product and you can use it safely with out any risk of damage,
When the early K30 bodies had the incorrect grade used on the dials during manufacture most of us fixed them by using that, those who did not believe sent them in and that's all the repair shops used it turned out!
Thanks adwb, I would have used contact cleaner anyway, WD 40 is good for lots and lots of stuff but electrical contact cleaning is not one of them. Contact cleaner is one of my "on hand" items anyway, along with WD 40 and duct tape!

NaCl(I've done enough electronic work to always have it handy)H2O

12-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

First I used a multimeter to identify the ground pins. I measured between the neg terminal inside the battery compartment and each pin, one at a time. I found two pins grounded on my K20D grip. I don't have a grip for my new K5II yet. If you place a very small piece of black tape on the end of each pin, one at a time. Then install the grip and test each function to see which one that it affects. This will be time consuming. Maybe you will get lucky and find the pin that you want right away. I really think that you have a bad component inside the grip. Maybe a potentiometer etc. Good luck.
12-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
WD40 it is a lubricant
Actually, WD40 is not much of a lubricant. It was designed to displace water (hence the letters WD, water displacement) and acts as a protective film on uncoated metals. The 40 comes from the 40th formula, the first 39 were failures.

It does have some lubricating properties from the light mineral oil in it, but cannot really be called a lubricant as such. My father used it in the early 60's when he was on Atlas and Minuteman missile crews in the Air Force. It was used on rocket parts to prevent corrosion by displacing water.
12-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

and its main ingredient is fish oil and it was test no 40 of a series of test products produced to remove water and waterproof electrical ignition components.