Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

weird colours

Hi all...my k5 is coming up to 3 years ? old and I have noticed the colours on the screen are very grey? for want of a better word....they load up on the computer that colour and then turn into what I assume is srgb....which is what I have everything set to. I am shooting dng if that makes any difference? I noticed my daughters kx looks totally different and I seem to remember mine had better colours at the beginning.......I have reset everything as much as I can but it still seems grey
cheers
Jan

01-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe if you post a sample photograph we can help you better?
I would suggest you try different jpeg modes first, see if that makes any difference. Then charge up the battery and do a firmware update (to the latest one) and if that doesn't solve it, hit the "reset to factory defaults" setting.
It could also be your post processing software - you shoot raw, so I assume you import your dng files into software and post process them yourself. Post processing software can have default processing enabled btw, so it might do things to your photos without you realizing it. Also, raw files tend to be grey and boring - they need to be developed, post processed to make them look good. Before you do that, an out of camera jpeg (say, from a K-x) can look better.
And finally, different monitors might show colours differently, in case you are comparing the K-5 and K-x on different computers.

Edit: And different lenses can render colours differently, too. Be careful if you have a filter mounted or anything like that.
01-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it is only on the rear monitor they look weird. I watch them change when they hit either bridge or lightroom.......you can see them convert from that grey look to normal colour........it is very weird . I will check the updates as I probably do need to update......
01-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think its just your jpeg mode. Hit info and select the jpeg mode to be Bright or Vibrant or something. (note that these presets could have been "edited" by user - you can make them look more or less saturated, contrasty, sharp..) This affects how the camera renders jpegs, including the preview thumbnails in the raw container. The camera doesn't show the actual photograph, but a preview of it. The computer software opens up the preview, then loads up the actual real data, hence the colour change.
Another option is to change your camera screen. Not sure where that option is, so check the manual, but I think that camera allows LCD screen tweaks, like brightness or colour tint. But this is rarely the problem

01-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahhh I hadnt thought of that. I will check today as see where it is set. Many thanks
cheers
Jan