Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Used vs New K-5II

I just placed my order for a used K-5II from Amazon Warehouse Deals... $100 less than a new one from one of their Marketplace sellers. I have sold plenty of used gear through the years and they were always in fine condition, but this is the first time I have purchased a used camera... any known issues with the K-5ii that I should check for when it arrives on Monday?

01-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #2

look at pictures and descriptions of item carefully first. Test it out quickly (test everything!) & try for refund if unhappy. I just got a used and nearly mint K-5 & K-5 IIs recently and I bet you be thrilled with your cameras also.
01-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Good advice... Thanks! Luckily I'll have thirty days to return it. It may be that long before I see a blue sky
01-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Verify the shutter count by uploading an image file to one of the websites that provide that info.

Check the level!! K-5's are notorious for having levels that are not correct. Put the K-5 on a flat level surface and push the info button until the digital level appears.

Check the grip isn't coming unglued.

Check the battery contact rubber strip and pc sync grommet is still in place on the camera.

Check rear LCD and top LCD for scratches.

Shoot a clear blue sky at f/22 and see how dusty the sensor is. Dust is fixable, but look out for other marks such as drops or smears of liquid (from a poor sensor clean job).

Check both e-dials work.

Look inside SD cover and mount for any signs of water damage.
I received the camera yesterday and checked the shutter count first... I was mildly surprised that it was only 5. This is a K-5 II body that was packaged in a 18-135 kit box, so the camera is new, and looks and functions as I would expect a new camera. Since I sold my K-30 and kept the 18-135 lens, this is a perfect match!

I also purchased a "used" BG-4 grip. I like the grip on the camera, but it's a tight squeeze into the camera bag. I plan to rent some larger lenses for my daughter's graduation in May, so may need to expand my camera bag collection a bit.