Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K5ii and Manual Lens advice

So I have just purchased a new K5ii and have a bunch of existing Pentax optics from my film days that I hope to put to good use.

These include a 50mm f1.2 classic (K mount)

55mm f1.2 (screw mount)

24mm f2.8 (screw mount)

135mm f3.5 (screw mount)

I have ordered a prime lens with 50mm 1.8 DA lens

So a couple of questions ....

Do you think these lenses will work well with this set up?

Should the adapters be mounted on the lens? (seem to be $50 per screw lens, so a small investment versus changing it at the camera in the field).

Have I made a mistake with the 55mm DA lens? I wanted to have a prime lens on there my wife that she could shoot without thinking in auto mode. (very important feature ... ;-)

Thanks in advance

What are the limitations of using so many manual lenses.

Thoughts?

01-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You'll need an adapter for the screwmount lenses but not the K 50/1.2. This article should walk you through everything you need to know:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

I think that getting the DA lens was a good idea. Old lenses are cool, but it's nice to have AF and AE for when you need it. Plus, modern glass is generally also better optically despite inferior build quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
24mm f2.8 and 55mm f/1.2 Pentax screw mount lenses???
01-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
screw mount lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
24mm f2.8 and 55mm f/1.2 Pentax screw mount lenses???

Yes, it appears so, unless I am reading something wrong ...

01-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'll need an adapter for the screwmount lenses but not the K 50/1.2. This article should walk you through everything you need to know:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

I think that getting the DA lens was a good idea. Old lenses are cool, but it's nice to have AF and AE for when you need it. Plus, modern glass is generally also better optically despite inferior build quality.
In reading the other thread on this subject there seems to be a debate to put the adapter on the camera or the lens. Should it only be on the camera or can you add one to each lens and use the standard K mount on the K5ii?
01-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
In reading the other thread on this subject there seems to be a debate to put the adapter on the camera or the lens. Should it only be on the camera or can you add one to each lens and use the standard K mount on the K5ii?
Most people put the adapter on the camera, as that's the way it's meant to be used.

There is no 55mm F1.2 M42 lens from Pentax, so did you get one from another brand? F1.2 lenses are also commonly confused with their F2 counterparts, such as this one:
SMC/Super-/Auto-Takumar 55mm F2 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, it appears so, unless I am reading something wrong ...
Maybe not Asahi-made? (e.g. Yashinon, Tomioka, Revuenon...)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-14-2014 at 10:48 AM.
01-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Most people put the adapter on the camera, as that's the way it's meant to be used.
Unless, of course, you have an official Pentax adapter that the user guide indicates mounting on the lens first. It have both versions of the adapter user guide as well as guides for several Pentax cameras that indicate mounting the adapter to the lens first.

FWIW, I generally find it much easier to mount the adapter to the lens first. Threading the lens to the (somewhat loose) adapter on the body is tedious while spinning it onto the lens is a snap.

Steve
01-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Should it only be on the camera or can you add one to each lens and use the standard K mount on the K5ii?
There are several users on this site who have outfitted all of their M42 lenses with generic adapters (the official Pentax product being too expensive). Note that they typically apply non-permanent Loktite to the threads and remove the retention spring from the adapter and may also drill or notch the lens mount face to engage the K-mount lock nubbin on the body. That removal of the spring is required due to the common problem of 3rd party adapters becoming stuck in the mount.

Which brings up the other important adapter point:

If at all possible, use the official, genuine Pentax-brand adapter. Many users have come to grief (myself included) by mounting a 3rd party adapter to the body only to find that it will not come off. There are exceptions to the rule (e.g. the reportedly excellent SRB Griturn adapters from the UK), but they are few and far between.

Steve
01-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are several users on this site who have outfitted all of their M42 lenses with generic adapters (the official Pentax product being too expensive). Note that they typically apply non-permanent Loktite to the threads and remove the retention spring from the adapter and may also drill or notch the lens mount face to engage the K-mount lock nubbin on the body. That removal of the spring is required due to the common problem of 3rd party adapters becoming stuck in the mount.

Which brings up the other important adapter point:

If at all possible, use the official, genuine Pentax-brand adapter. Many users have come to grief (myself included) by mounting a 3rd party adapter to the body only to find that it will not come off. There are exceptions to the rule (e.g. the reportedly excellent SRB Griturn adapters from the UK), but they are few and far between.

Steve
Hi Steve,

so the mounting should happen on the camera, I get that. My question is does the adapter stay on the lens afterwards, or will I have to keep removing the adapter from the camera as I switch lenses from screw to K mount, including my one DA lens.

Thanks,

Mike
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so the mounting should happen on the camera, I get that. My question is does the adapter stay on the lens afterwards, or will I have to keep removing the adapter from the camera as I switch lenses from screw to K mount, including my one DA lens.
Unless you use locktite to fix the adapter to the lens, and remove the locking tab as noted above, the adapter will stay on the camera. The official Pentax one is well made and I prefer to attach it to the camera first and screw on the lens. Steve does it the other way round and of course either works. For smaller lenses (up to 135 or 200mm) I use the official adapter. For longer glass (300mm and 400mm) I bought off brand adapters and fixed them semi-permanently to the lens as screwing that long lens onto the camera is a pain.

The official adapter works. Many of the third party ones work well also, but some can cause problems.
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Unless you use locktite to fix the adapter to the lens, and remove the locking tab as noted above, the adapter will stay on the camera. The official Pentax one is well made and I prefer to attach it to the camera first and screw on the lens. Steve does it the other way round and of course either works. For smaller lenses (up to 135 or 200mm) I use the official adapter. For longer glass (300mm and 400mm) I bought off brand adapters and fixed them semi-permanently to the lens as screwing that long lens onto the camera is a pain.

The official adapter works. Many of the third party ones work well also, but some can cause problems.
So I can expect to be removing and replacing the adapter in the field to use the combination of lenses?

I don't want to do anything that will endanger the equipment, particularly the new camera due to arrive on Thursday!

Thanks,

Mike
01-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I buy the cheap (~$5) fotodiox adapter, remove the spring clip and leave the adapter on the lens. I use a pair of vise grips to put the adapter on the lens thread just a little bit tighter than my fingers allow. When installed, the lens is not locked in the camera, but I've never had one come out. I check it every once in awhile, and they will come just a tiny bit loose, but that's only when I bang the focus against the stop. Easier to undo than Loctite
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If I may be extremely off-topic, I suggest looking at the DA 35mm 2.4 since you seem to be fond of 50mm primes on your film cameras. That lens will give you approximately the same field of view as those lenses would on a 135 SLR.

Last edited by Giklab; 01-14-2014 at 02:41 PM.
01-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
If I may be extremely off-topic, I suggest looking at the DA 35mm 2.4 since you seem to be fond of 50mm primes on your filn cameras. That lens will give you approximately the same field of view as those lenses would on a 135 SLR.
Good point. Will definitely consider this, too many 50mm lenses, now 75mm I guess.

Mike