Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
As for the word "church" isn't it just a descriptive term for any religious place of worship rather than denomination specific?
It is a temple. We have become sloppy and imprecise in our use of language.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2014 at 07:01 PM.
02-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I read it as the OP not knowing that they were Jewish (even now we don't I'm just making an assumption since the Jewish sabbath lines up with the time they said they weren't working)

I very, very, much doubt it's anything close to antisemitism, and much more likely that RacerX just doesn't know all teh Jewish traditions/rules/whatever.

I work for a Jewish firm, and until I started here I didn't realise the Jewish sabbath was a saturday. I had never given it any thought (just as I have no idea what day the sabbath is for Hindus, Muslims, Bhuddists, or even if they have a sabbath?)

As for the word "church" isn't it just a descriptive term for any religious place of worship rather than denomination specific?
Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Church = Christian place of worship

Technically, I don't believe in ANY religion and I don't like the labels that go with it.
That being said, even *I* am sensitive enough to not offend folks when it comes to their religious beliefs.

There are no fools or idiots here, and I can see a thinly veiled slight at someone's beliefs when I see it.

Most folks that make little digs like the above are very quick to retreat into the "I didn't know" and then ask for mea culpa / absent malice.

We'll see how this goes.
02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Kinda a *not cool* thread. It borders on anti-Semitism. Antisemitism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jewish folks don't call their religious place of worship a church. To continually call it that is definitely uncool.
Your response to this is NOT COOL, the OP did not write anything antisemitic. How is the OP to know that B&H has anything to do with any religion, Jewish or otherwise.
02-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Your response to this is NOT COOL, the OP did not write anything antisemitic. How is the OP to know that B&H has anything to do with any religion, Jewish or otherwise.
Read it again.

When someone is closed on Saturday, and says it's their Sabbath, that should be clue #1.

I suppose Chic-Fil-A is closed on Sunday because they can't get Chickens on Sunday?

Don't be a fool.

The OP brought it up TWICE that B&H was at "Church".

02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's clearly stated on the website what times they do not do business and for what reason.
02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
B&H and Adorama have always had this policy and very clearly state on their websites on Fridays that they will be closed from dusk to dusk.

Contact HenryP on the B&H thread here at PF - document everything - and see what happens.

I'd bet the price refusal comes at least partly from Denver and MAP pricing as much as it comes from B&H, since January 31 also expired during your blackout period.
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Why don't you post the question to the B&H area here on the Forum?

Sorry, I wasn't aware of (or if I was I had forgotten) a B&H thread. Where is it?

Edit: I found the B&H area, but Henry does not accept private messages. So I tried to send an e-mail and something seems to be wrong with that too.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-03-2014 at 06:57 PM.
02-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uhmmm - maybe the MASSIVE popups that come up on their websites every Friday afternoon that explain they won't be taking any orders after dusk, and why?

But let's just calm down here. RacerX69 seems like a pretty good guy. This has happened to a Member before - it is pretty unusual - and frankly only 1 1/2% of the US population is Jewish, so it just might be that someone really doesn't know it is officially called a temple.

I am fortunate to have grown up in a city that was 50% Jewish, 40% Roman Catholic (they mostly went to parochial school) and 10% other, so I was exposed early to different beliefs. Actually, in my community I was the 'different beliefs'!!

Besides, you ought to be an Episcopalian - less than 3/10 of a percent of the population. Talk about misunderstood!!!

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.
02-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sorry, I wasn't aware of (or if I was I had forgotten) a B&H thread. Where is it?
Try this.

Ask B&H Photo.

It is a regular thread here at PF and everyone can see what you post . . . . . but B&H monitors and responds. Adorama has a similar monitor here (Helen Oster). Both dealers really do try to iron these things out whenever possible.
02-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The OP brought it up TWICE that B&H was at "Church".
Yes I did.

For me, the Sabbath has always been on Sunday, and for those who practice their faith they do so in a place of worship, or a church.

I was never taught about the details of other faiths, so when I made my comments it was based upon my experiences. If people who practice other faiths wish to follow their faith that closely, and expect people who practice other faiths to respect that, then they are obliged to reciprocate.
02-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

OK.
I took the OP to mean the online store wasn't working during their business hours and he missed out on a good deal because of that. I didn't read the racist angle. For the record, two of my names are David and Abrams.
02-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
It's clearly stated on the website what times they do not do business and for what reason.
I missed it, and didn't find anything about their hours during their Sabbath until after I called them and got the message that they were closed. That message said nothing about their Sabbath, only that they were closed, and invited me to use their website.

I looked on the website and found their hours listed, but it said nothing about the religious reasons for being closed.
02-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I did.

For me, the Sabbath has always been on Sunday, and for those who practice their faith they do so in a place of worship, or a church.

I was never taught about the details of other faiths, so when I made my comments it was based upon my experiences. If people who practice other faiths wish to follow their faith that closely, and expect people who practice other faiths to respect that, then they are obliged to reciprocate.
Ok gotcha. Yep. It's 2014 and most of us have been living under a rock when it comes to the last decade of "in-your-face-religious-conflict" around the world.

This internet thing - and Pentax Forums - is the only place on the web anyone ever goes.

Ok, I get it. "I didn't know because of how I was brought up".

<sigh>

What about the last line?

"If people who practice other faiths wish to follow their faith that closely, and expect people who practice other faiths to respect that, then they are obliged to reciprocate."

And how exactly are the folks at B&H supposed to do that, open on Saturday so you can shop there because it's respecting *your* faith?

Or.

How does B&H being closed on Saturday have anything to do with your faith or respect of it?
02-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I missed it, and didn't find anything about their hours during their Sabbath until after I called them and got the message that they were closed. That message said nothing about their Sabbath, only that they were closed, and invited me to use their website.

I looked on the website and found their hours listed, but it said nothing about the religious reasons for being closed.
Maybe they warn people on the site shortly before days and times they'll be closed? I'm not sure how it works, I just know I've gone on their site multiple times and been greeted by a banner with the info stated.
02-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I read it as the OP not knowing that they were Jewish (even now we don't I'm just making an assumption since the Jewish sabbath lines up with the time they said they weren't working)
At least someone made a correct assumption.

I very, very, much doubt it's anything close to antisemitism, and much more likely that RacerX just doesn't know all teh Jewish traditions/rules/whatever.
Well they circumcised me, does that count?

I work for a Jewish firm, and until I started here I didn't realise the Jewish sabbath was a saturday. I had never given it any thought (just as I have no idea what day the sabbath is for Hindus, Muslims, Bhuddists, or even if they have a sabbath?)
I couldn't agree more.

Bingo!
02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Maybe they warn people on the site shortly before days and times they'll be closed? I'm not sure how it works, I just know I've gone on their site multiple times and been greeted by a banner with the info stated.
I've seen the banners before, like for Hanukkah but last Friday there were none that I saw.
Closed Thread