Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 MF lense issue

I don't know if I am the only one here who has ever had this problem, well, i'll give a little info on the situation here.

I have rather.. Not so great eyesight, and I use a lot of older MF lenses, so I got a magnifier, works great, but I always have a hard time focusing lenses to get them to be sharp, I have the superimpose AF setting engaged on my K-5, and many people here have said to use the "Catch in focus mode" which is supposed to make the shutter fire when an object becomes focus?

Well, the problem I have, is with this engaged, no matter what I do, I cannot for the life of me get it to fire without pressing the shutter release button.

I am using full manual mode with an old Ricoh lense and an old Sigma lense.
Any ideas as to what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks!

02-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's an all-manual lens, I think it will only work with the center AF point, though I'm not 100% sure on that. Here's the guide in any case:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-...tch-focus.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
",,, no matter what I do, I cannot for the life of me get it to fire without pressing the shutter release button."

Doesn't the shutter release have to be depressed while the subject is in focus? i.e. you can't press the shutter release, take you finger off of the button, and wait for the subject to come into focus.
02-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Doesn't the shutter release have to be depressed while the subject is in focus? i
Correct!

1)You press the shutter release and then turn the focusing ring while you keep the shutter release depressed all the time.

2) On a K-5, CIF will only work if the lens mount is conductive (: bare metallic without anodizing/paint).

02-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As Adam said, I have experienced that with most all manual lens the focus assist is often inaccurate. This is also sometimes the case w my a50 1.7, but not as often.
Another possible reason (if you are getting out of focus shots even if focusing without focus assist) is that you may have accidently hit the diopter setting on the viewfinder. Make sure it is zeroed if you are using glasses or at the correct setting of you are not using glasses.
02-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
As Adam said, I have experienced that with most all manual lens the focus assist is often inaccurate. This is also sometimes the case w my a50 1.7, but not as often.
Another possible reason (if you are getting out of focus shots even if focusing without focus assist) is that you may have accidently hit the diopter setting on the viewfinder. Make sure it is zeroed if you are using glasses or at the correct setting of you are not using glasses.
this happens to me a lot - it's perplexing until I check the diopter slider....

The CIF is simple to use as described above. AF.S, center point, manual setting. Hold trigger down and rotate focus. Works like a champ.